Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Call To Arms: Starfleet

A Call To Arms: Starfleet

A First look at Star Fleet Battles Rendered in the A Call To Arms System

With a write up of a Constitution class cruiser as a bench mark

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Cool. Too bad I have never liked anything Mongoose has published.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

any particular reason or just generally ill disposed towards them?

I've fiddled with the Call to Arms system under the B% and War at Sea liscences and I will say fora mini's system, it plays fast and clean and fairly swift.

It will be an immense improvement over the Starfleet Battles System, which is the Advanced Squad Leader of Ship games. Trust me on this
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Everything by them I have seen, or that I own I find mechanically unsound. It's my opinion, granted, but I just haven't cared for anything from that company.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Never played Mongoose games. But if they are making small ships of approximatly similar sizes, then I am sure we can find some other use for them...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Mongoose seem to have a bad reputation when it comes to quality control and proof reading. I thought that when they released updated versions of the B5 Call to Arms system, it does work, but it is geared towards larger battles, and if you are used to SFB or FASA Starship Combat, it can seem a bit too quick.

I know that when our gaming group tried to plan a B5 piracy / raiding three way campaign, I realised I would have to play a hit and run game with the smaller Drazi starships, for example.

It will be interesting to see how the license they have with ADB for A Call to Arms: Star Fleet goes, as it has the potential to go on longer than one with Paramount/CBS would run before renewal, which normally doesn't actually get renewed!
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

Yeah...but proofreading these days seems a lost art from game producers to Newssites.

But yeah mongoose does neet to proo read a bit better.

IT will however been fast and cleaner than ADB's StarFleet Battles system

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post

But yeah mongoose does neet to proo read a bit better.
    Harhar
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

me no spell gud *hits keyboard with club*

It has been a loooong time since I've been on this board.

I am a big, big fan of ACTA, and have been playing it in all its forms. I have also been playtesting for Mongoose. ACTA is a great game for fleet combat. It is quick and easy to play, meaning that the rules become secondary to the tactics.

So ACTA Star Fleet specifically - It is a very different to Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander. As anyone who has played those games will know, it isn't quite the Star Trek we know and love. But it is a fast-playing game that lets you pit half a dozen Constitution-class ships against D7's and fight it out, all with your own miniatures.

The game and miniatures are now up for pre-order: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Very nice to see you again, Greg Welcome back. I hope you've come to stay for a while!

Haven't been over at the Mongoose forums myself especially after they have re-done everything over there.

I'd like to check ACTA out in this new version, but as none of my friends ever wanted to play the Babylon 5 version with me and my budgets (available shelf space and money) are extremely limited I think I'll have to go with WizKids "Star Trek Fleet Captains" for the time being.

BTW has anyone ever played that one?

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post

But there are already official maps put out under a paramount license?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Star Fleet universe is a bit different from trek from TNG going forward. It took the original TOS time line and ran from there well before TNG came along, creating it's own new races and such. it's not regular trek as we know it

The Star Fleet Universe is oriented toward wargamers. I regard it as the Mirror-Universe RPG.