Thread: Strength modifier with Ranged Combat

Strength modifier with Ranged Combat

When we played last a couple of weeks ago, my players felt the same way that I did about an issue that came up, which was the rule on p. 89 of the NG, where a character's Strength modifier doesn't affect any Ranged Combat tests. Now with something like a phaser that makes complete sense. But we think that attacks made with things like bows, thrown knives, axes, etc. WOULD be influenced (a Klingon or Nausicaan might get a +2, whereas a Ferengi might have a -1). I've thus come up with the following, but would love to hear what you folks think:

p. 89
    INFLICTING DAMAGE
    A character's Strength modifier applies to most Ranged Combat: Archaic Weapons and Athletics (Throw) tests. The only exceptions would be mechanical weapons that the Narrator feels would not benefit from the user's Strength (like most crossbows).
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I like it !

It allows stronger characters to inflict more damage. It would be a good rules-mod to introduce to Lord of the Rings too, since a lot of combat in that game is bow-oriented, etc. I checked the LotR Core Book, and it doesn't mention applying strength mods to bow-shot. Just to thrown weapons.

I guess the convention behind this is that even the strongest character can only pull a bow back so far, and that it is the reaction of the string and the bow that propels the arrow and not the strength of the shooter.

But, if Worf pulled a bow back farther than, say, Geordi then Worf's arrow would fly farther and penetrate deeper. I'm sure the Mythbusters could prove that one (with Jamie's arrow flying farther than Adam's and Adam saying something like "Oh, I pulled my bow back with the strength of a Greek god !" in his Jamie-voice).

Since a bow gets its kinetic energy from the strength of the shooter and not a mechanical device, your rule should definitely apply. Both to Trek and LotR.

Exactly! I always think of the shot of Lurtz pulling back that bow waaay back before he shot at Boromir. I would think that Lurtz (or any other Uruk-hai, or a Klingon or Vulcan or other strong character) would be able to pull back farther (and thus do more damage) than a Hobbit or Ferengi would. Interestingly, in the Starfleet Operations Manual they have the Strength modifier influencing how far the thrown object can go, but it doesn't impact damage.

Nice illustration with the Mythbusters, too!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I love Mythbusters ! New Ep tonight, BTW.

And, another Trek reference for the Strength & Damage rule - when Troi fires a bow (in Cupid) and hits Data the point barely penetrates. Had Worf been pulling that bow back the arrow might have been buried in Data up to the feathers.

I'm going to have to watch the TOS ep with the Capellans again - and see if Spock lands more penetrating shots with his bow than Kirk.