Thread: Ally Edge

Ally Edge

Our new Bolian character gets Ally 2 as one/two of his Species Abilities. Reading the Edge in the rules suggests that the Ally is someone of Promotion 3 (the equivalent of a Lt. Commander). Upgrades to the Edge can gain you a new Ally or provide a person of higher rank ("increase the Promotion level").

This character - Hikaru Mot - is the son of the famed barber on the Enterprise. Thus I'm encouraging the player to take Captain Jean-Luc Picard as one of his Allies, from his days growing up aboard that ship.

My question to you is this: Since Picard is sufficiently higher than a Lt. Commander, should I make him alone be the equivalent of Ally 2? Technically, I suppose, Picard alone could be the equal of Ally 3, so that's probably more than fair.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I think you answered your own question, Doug. Adding Capt. Picard as an ally is Ally 3 (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard).

If this is being done in character creation, you can have the PC to use his free edge to cover the upgrade to Ally 3 (or, you can have him take a Flaw to cover it, and allow him to have his free edge for whatever he wants).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

That's what I thought, Davey. Thanks for confirming it!

The player decided to go with Commander William T. Riker, so Ally 2 should just fit the bill!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).