Thread: House Rules

House Rules

Here is a previeuw of my pdf file I'm preparing. I've already put a lot of work and effort in this, but it is not finished. I would like some feedback and thoughts on the mechanics if possible.

EXPANDED COMBAT.pdf
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Wow! It sure is beautifully done! (professional quality, even). Nice work, IKI!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Thumbs up

Very nicely done
    Live Long and Prosper Technically
    Bernard Guignard
    Project Manager TreknoGraphx
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    IKI - we've been using some to all of the mechanics from your Expanded Combat system for over a year and a half now (from an earlier iteration of the PDF), and just love them. It's a beautifully done set of rules, with great mechanics.

Your combat-rules inspired our Narrator to write a few House Rules of her own, and you could say that your booklet really saved our CODA game.

Thank you, for a beautiful update.

Well done !

Thx I've been using the new combat rules in my group for over 3 months and they work just fine. It has given some interesting combats.

The house rules I now use are a little different than those I wrote before.
    The main difference is that I use Combat maneuvers. To explain its simple:
    There are 2 action that can possibly get you Maneuver points maneuvers: Attack ,and Parry/Block.
    You get a number of maneuver points equal to the nr of successes you achieve over the opponent. You can perform certain combat maneuvers by using those points to pay for them.
    Example: You attack and score an extra ordinary success over your opponent. You get 4 maneuver points (1 for each level of success.). I choose to Injure him (1 MP), to trip him (1 MP because he is the same size as I'am), and do an additional 2D6 damage (1MP per extra 1D6 damage).

Most of the new or reworked combat related edges interact with the cost or effect of these combat maneuvers. So most Martial arts styles can be recreted by using the combat rules above and the new edges.

Now that is not the only thing that is in this PDF. Feel free to read it because there is something in it for all players or Narrators. But let me know what you found of it.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

one house rule I'm excited about using is a "renown tradeoff" rule similar to the optional rule detailed on the Starfleet Operations Manual on page 42. Basically I allow players to tradeoff all renown rewards for Promotion, Command, Famous Events, Fame, and Commendations. Saved Earth from Nero? Okay Kirk, here's your captain seat.

That's actually a really good idea, and I don't remember seeing that before (but then I havent' completely read through the OM, either). I'll definitely have to check that out!

And welcome, Baron!
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

thank you, thank you. I ran Trek in a GURPS campaign summer before last which got thumbs up all around from my players. I was excited to pick up an actual Trek game and try it out, but I think Decipher's attempt has some bugs in it. I also kind of want to run things in the Abrams verse which is a bit different.

Let us know what bugs you find, as most of us have made a few 'tweaks' to the system as well. Overall, though, it's quite fun and captures the spirit and feel of Trek quite well (at least my group thinks so, and I know some others do as well).
    Doug Taylor

eh... I'm willing to test things as is before I start house ruling. Some stuff, like the renown tradeoff bit I mentioned, just begs to be fleshed out. Like the panel shorts/explosions in the NG? Which panel is supposed to be hit? I just roll on systems and depending on who runs what system, they get the bad news. That's not especially spelled out and should be.

I also am not a big fan of combat traits (they're detailed in part in the Ops manual). Combat is pretty bland as it is. It's frustrating to have to spend 2 advancements on giving your brawling skill color. Otherwise you pretty much just attack... roll damage... defend... rinse and repeat. Man this is Star Trek! I want to jump off of a console and tackle a Klingon and then judo chop him into oblivion. I already have the brawling skill. I was thinking about just giving away combat traits once the prerequisites are met. Upgrades are also free, provided you have the prerequisites +2 for tier 2 and +4 for tier 3. Kirk as he's written up in NG, for example, would have every Brawling trait in the game fully upgraded. It would give players incentive during combat to act out and have more fun than just taking a plain old swing or just firing over and over.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 04-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Good points on the combat, and I think you're fleshing out of the system will likely add a great deal of fun to it.

As for the panel shorting out, I kind of like that they don't spell out every bit of details (leaving it to GMs/Narrators to figure out). I've got a copy of our bridge layout (of course every ship is different), numbered 1 to 6, and I just simply roll a d6 to determine who takes it (and being as a few of those stations might be manned by NPCs, it might not be a PC who takes the hit).
    Doug Taylor

was also thinking about ways to make starship combat more dangerous when shields are gone. I'm thinking the system kind of mommy coddles you. When you watch the films especially, a ship without shields is pretty much going to be disabled completely in a few hits. I was thinking maybe to assume an automatic "all locations" result when system damage occurs without shields up. This way systems wink out much quicker. Also was considering additional damage at +1 for a complete success, +2 superior, and +3 extraordinary.