Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Canon Ships

Non-Canon Ships

So I have been perusing some Trek sites and have come across some pretty cool non-Canon ships out there. On the Drexfiles there's a ship call the Allegiance Class:

It's the "middle progression" between the Galaxy and the Sovereign. I though it was pretty cool and was thinking of maybe using it as the ship for an up coming Trek game I may run.

Also, I really like the Dervish Class:

But I don't know that it would entirely fit the mission profile for the upcoming game I want to run.

I also found some renders and schematics for a Chariot Class:

Which apparently has a dock on the lower aft for a Defiant Class ship, but I don't know how I feel about this one. And it, too, isn't exactly what I want for my upcoming game's mission profile. But I wanted to share some cool non-Canon ships I've come across and been pondering statting out.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Some of the STO ships are pretty neat.

I'm also a fan of the Aegean class from Armada.

There's some cool renders here, too.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I like the Connie TNG revision there, but for the most part when dealing with non-canon starships my first question is what its background is and where it fits in the Starfleet. A lot can be forgiven for a beautiful starship, but after the 4-5th ship in a cruiser-explorer role you find youself starting to ask why its needed (STO is a prime example of this with several catagories sporting 3 near identical ships, yes looking at you Intrepid-alikes, with little difference between them).

All that siad I have to admit to building a PBEM around the Luna class which is certainly a non-canon starship... ALtough I once played in a game set on a Manta class (back in the days before all these beautifully rendered CGI variations), you would be hard pressed to google that one these days amid the hundreds of variations avialble these days...

I am intrigued by the chariot class though... That one looks to be a warp-capable starbase and I cannot imagine that one in operation, but do thimnk it looks rather spiffy
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    I am intrigued by the chariot class though... That one looks to be a warp-capable starbase and I cannot imagine that one in operation, but do thimnk it looks rather spiffy
    Why? I mean, it's not like the ship needs to be aerodynamic in space, after all. But I am still undecided if I like it yet or not, hehe.
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 11-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

I think its based off a half-baked idea about warf-feilds needing some level of streamline, purely based off the pictures of existing starships (And thus a sample of 4...)

t'know... this one;
    http://staging.ex-astris-scientia.or.../warpfield.gif
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I think its based off a half-baked idea about warf-feilds needing some level of streamline, purely based off the pictures of existing starships (And thus a sample of 4...)

t'know... this one;
    http://staging.ex-astris-scientia.or.../warpfield.gif
    Hotlinking disabled

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Ok, I get what you are referring to now. But wouldn't that mean that Borg ships couldn't generate/maintain a warp field?
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Quote Originally Posted by Thakowsaizmu View Post
    Ok, I get what you are referring to now. But wouldn't that mean that Borg ships couldn't generate/maintain a warp field?
    Like I said. it was a half-baked opinion based on imaginary science...

Like most things, once you start picking at it it unravels really fast (like the absence of seatbelts, artifical gravity, and just how the compensation works to stop the crew being turned into Strawberry Jam everytime thy go to warp... )
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Like I said. it was a half-baked opinion based on imaginary science...

Like most things, once you start picking at it it unravels really fast (like the absence of seatbelts, artifical gravity, and just how the compensation works to stop the crew being turned into Strawberry Jam everytime thy go to warp... )
    Well, maybe the compensated for the field for that ship? Maybe it's a test bed for new warp-theories? Maybe it should just be handwaived, like so many other things in Trek, hehe.

I think it really depends on one fan's adherence to cannon and interpretation of cannon. As SF Debris said, there is something to be said about fiction being consistent about its fiction.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Staying consistent with a hundred-page tech manual filled with in-jokes and easter eggs written twenty years ago seems like a tall order for a weekly television series. The only reason TNG and DS9 managed it was because they had the manual writer there. It's no wonder that they eschewed technobabble in BSG.

There's also the distinction between 'theoretical canon' based on aired statements and 'practical canon' which is the result of taking the series as a whole and looking at what patterns emerge from it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So, back on topic, does anyone have a nice render of the Ranger class or know where I could find one. I think it's a pretty cool ship. If I could make renders myself, I'd make one for it, heh.

For reference, I mean something nicer than this:
    Last edited by Thakowsaizmu; 11-13-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added Image

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Staying consistent with a hundred-page tech manual filled with in-jokes and easter eggs written twenty years ago seems like a tall order for a weekly television series. The only reason TNG and DS9 managed it was because they had the manual writer there. It's no wonder that they eschewed technobabble in BSG.

There's also the distinction between 'theoretical canon' based on aired statements and 'practical canon' which is the result of taking the series as a whole and looking at what patterns emerge from it.
    Some franchises hire people specifically to provide for consistency, there are also people hired for films whose entire job is to ensure that props are where they are suppose to be from take to take; even then things slip through the cracks. That being said, there does need to be someone who is a "technical expert" when it comes to cannon.