Thread: Interest check and "recruitment" for a forum game

Interest check and "recruitment" for a forum game

I plan to run a game here on the forums, depending on the interest

Players so far:
    Cut
    JALU3
    Fugazi Grrl

Where: Forum game here on TrekRPGNet
    Era: TNG, (2367, 2 years before DS9), parallel universe to the series (Ref: TNG episode Parallels)

Ship: Miranda class with outdated systems
    Mission: Patrol UFP frontier space, diplomatic missions, initial system surveys, assisting in scientific missions, etc.
    RPG system: "Hidden system" (Technically a custom Drakar och demoner/ICON hybrid with some inspiration from CODA, combined with winging it, in the background; while the communication is in "clear text")
    Post frequency: Aiming for at least once per week

Character creation can be mainly numbers with a little text, or mainly text backed with a bit of numbers. There is no need to own any of the books. It will be done in "layers"; up to the age 18, any other time spent elsewhere if not going directly to the academy, Starfleet academy, tours. The character back story and skillset will be created together, so just a rough vision on character are needed.

Player character positions: Mainly senior staff and key positions, but there is other options. Guest playing "NPCs" would be possible (I have a couple of reoccurring NPCs that I would love to see guest played by someone; one is the Admiral in charge of the fleet).

About setting controversies:
    It is the bit darker view from DS9. The United Federation of Planets strive to be the utopia Picard and Kirk seems to believe it is, but there are disagreements on how to actually get there and what it should mean.
    There is no Starfleet Marines based on todays U.S. equivalent. There are however different type of combat capable units, most of them part of Starfleet security and planetary defense forces.

As the Federation doesn't expand by conquest, there are a lot of non-UFP systems within UFP space. Some being affiliated and protected by UFP, and others might be trading partners while having their sovereign space. Yet some others might be completely within UFP space and be hostile.

Background:
    With the Romulan Empire being quiet for a long time, and having a peace treaty with both the Klingons and the Cardassians, Star Fleet has dwindled in size. Many of the remaining ships have been reassigned to different exploration, scientific, and diplomatic missions.

But almost at the same time as the Romulans made their presence known again, a Star Fleet ship was temporarily hurled across the Galaxy, making the Federation aware of a new threat; and making that threat aware of the Federation.

Thinking it would take decades until this new threat would manage to reach UFP space, and no direct military threat from the Romulans, no decision was made to build up the size of Star Fleet. New funds was however directed to research and development of new ships and weapons. A buildup of the fleet was considered potentially to dangerous as it could be to provoking against the neighbors, sparking a new arms race.

But that new threat did not take decades to reach UFP space. After destroying a colony and assimilating a prominent Star Fleet captain, the enemy ship headed for sector 001. Star Fleet tossed together an ad hoc fleet of every combat worthy ship close enough to reach Wolf359 in time, where they were to meet the enemy.

The ship was short, brutal, and single sided; almost not slowing down the huge cube. Luckily, the crew of the Enterprise managed to get their captain back and turn the assimilation link against the Borg, and defeated the cube.

While successful, it was only a temporary relief to Star Fleet Command. Not only had it proven that the Borg could get here much quicker than anticipated, and more could be out there heading this way; it had wiped out what Star Fleet had in the area, creating a huge gap in the defenses and was showing a weakness to aggressive neighbors. That gap could not wait until new ships were built and new crews were trained; it had to be filled now. To free up experienced ships from other areas of UFP space, old ships was pulled out of mothball and recommissioned; filled to a large degree with cadets and staff from desk positions.

This is the story of one of those old ships and its crew; NCC-1969, U.S.S Thera (Miranda class).
    Last edited by Cpt. Lundgren; 02-15-2012 at 01:23 PM.

I'm not completey sure about the background (I'm going to re-watch 'Parallels' this week-end) I would be indeed interested in trying this

I have noticed a certain differnce in the tone and set-up of the first two seasons of TNG when compared to the later seasons. I kind of liked what we saw there, a little bit less stiff, I little more into the exploration and unkown era then the later TNG shows made the universe look. Hope that might be what you are getting at

To be actually seeing a forum's game lift off would be great and I really like your idea of winging it and not being to contrained by numbers or ruleset. I really don't have any knowledge of the rules you mentioned, apart from ICON of course, and would go for the more flavour as a character concept than just numbers.

I usually go for a human CONN officer when in Trek games, so I actually might like to try out something differnt.

So, I'd like to come up with a concept of a bridge officer, OPS maybe or even tactical. Would you be cool with an Andorian? Ever since I finally gave ENT a chance (on DVD) some years ago, I'd like to try that one in an RPG

Posting once a week should't pose a problem as things are right now. The should remain so for at least another two months, then I will be transfered to a new station, but am optimistic that should work too then.
    Last edited by Cut; 01-13-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fixed the episode title in the first line

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I'm not completey sure about the background (I'm going to re-watch 'Parallels' this week-end) I would be indeed interested in trying this
    Ah, I finally think I got what you meant with the pointer at the episode 'Parallels'. That's where you git the idea from and you're not necesarrily aiming for one of the AU shown then and there, right?

That could be most rewarding, as my all time favorite RPG experience ever (so far) was a free-form, free-style storytelling game with a friend set in the Star Trek TNG / DS9 timeframe, that we kinda unhooked from the original show in case that we added our characters to the shown storylines and places and didn't partake in all the changes made in the show, for example, in our corner of the Star Trek Galaxy, Tasha Yar was very much alive and kicking aboard the Enterprise

I'd not be opposed to have Tasha alive in your setting as well, Captain

That'd be nice and for me a reminder of that great story telling and adenture experience I had back in my schooldays!
    Last edited by Cut; 01-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Ah, I finally think I got what you meant with the pointer at the episode 'Parallels'. That's where you git the idea from and you're not necesarrily aiming for one of the AU shown then and there, right?

That could be most rewarding, as my all time favorite RPG experience ever (so far) was a free-form, free-style storytelling game with a friend set in the Star Trek TNG / DS9 timeframe, that we kinda unhooked from the original show in case that we added our characters to the shown storylines and places and didn't partake in all the changes made in the show, for example, in our corner of the Star Trek Galaxy, Tasha Yar was very much alive and kicking aboard the Enterprise
    Correct It is just my way of saying that the story/game is not bound to have every event playing out as in the series (So Tasha might be alive, which could alter the outcome of other things later as Worf would not take over her former duties, etc). It also mean that the outcome of the characters actions could affect the outcome of larger event.

I have noticed a certain differnce in the tone and set-up of the first two seasons of TNG when compared to the later seasons. I kind of liked what we saw there, a little bit less stiff, I little more into the exploration and unkown era then the later TNG shows made the universe look. Hope that might be what you are getting at
    Well, that is a yes and no ("yno"? ). The UFP are turning toward the direction of the later seasons, including Starfleet focusing more on the military part of the job description. But the ship in question is assigned to carrying out the general purpose mission the more modern ship it replace had. So exploration and the unknown is definitely part of the menu

Now, how "stiff" the ship will be run will in part depend on if there is someone who is interested in playing the captain

So, I'd like to come up with a concept of a bridge officer, OPS maybe or even tactical. Would you be cool with an Andorian? Ever since I finally gave ENT a chance (on DVD) some years ago, I'd like to try that one in an RPG
    An Andorian is fine, and either OPS or tactical would work. Being from a warrior culture, perhaps he picked tactical out of convention and is assigned as chief of security; but has found out that he is more interested in OPS.

As long as we're not ending up running a military trainings simulation I think I'm fine.

Sounds very interesting. I shall come up with a few character ideas, maybe the Andorian, maybe something different. Do you want this here, in the open, or shall I PN/email you my ideas?

Would you prefer just characterisation or some character creation bits using the ICON rules. I will dig out my TNG and DS9 corebooks and look at the options I find and come up with something that'll fit the setting and be fun to play at the same time.

As long as we're not ending up running a military trainings simulation I think I'm fine.
    While there might be a small dose of that from time to time, I don't think you have to worry. If that was the kind of setting I wanted to run, I would have picked Recon, Twilight 2000, or possible the idea I have about a game where the characters are Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars.

Sounds very interesting. I shall come up with a few character ideas, maybe the Andorian, maybe something different. Do you want this here, in the open, or shall I PN/email you my ideas?
    Post what kind of position you are thinking about, if you have narrowed it down or broaden it, for other potential players to see. But take the rest by email.

Would you prefer just characterisation or some character creation bits using the ICON rules. I will dig out my TNG and DS9 corebooks and look at the options I find and come up with something that'll fit the setting and be fun to play at the same time.
    We will hammer out the details together. So as a first step, it could be anything from a short blurb of what you feel is important about the character, to a long writeup.

Alright, I will go with the tactical officer / security chief position and try to come up with a decent background for an Andorian Starfleet officer. Anything on starting rank?

Anything on starting rank?
    The criteria is that there has to be a reason on why the character is sent to this ship instead of one of the ships sent to fill the gap after Wolf359.

It can be that we are talking about a Lieutenant junior grade, that is seen as having great potential and sent to this ship to get experience in leading a department; someone past his prime and close to retirement; someone that has been on a desk job far to long; someone that had quite a bit of experience elsewhere, before joining Starfleet, so that the character lacks the formal records/paperwork that had been needed a month ago; etc.

As the captain of the ship might end up as a freshly minted Commander, and it would be weird if the captain is outranked by the chief of security, so Commander is probably the upper limit (but not set in stone). But the higher rank the character has, the more thought has to be put into why not on a "more important assignment"

Lt or Lt jg sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    someone that had quite a bit of experience elsewhere, before joining Starfleet, so that the character lacks the formal records/paperwork that had been needed a month ago; etc.
    is probably the way I'm going...

Somewhat interested

What would you think of a newly commissioned Merchant Marine Shipmen from Cal Maritime who's reserve commission in Starfleet was activated, due to "needs of the service"? The reason why I go with the background is that it fits with the setting of Starfleet needs to increase her numbers, it would make sense that reservist would be activated. Present day graduate of State & Federal ran maritime academies in the United States, have the option of receiving a reserve commission in the United States Navy, to go along with their new license of either Third Mate, Third Engineer or Purser. So, if you agree with the general concept, the creation would follow that found in "The Price of Freedom" book, with the character having "stepped up" due to the activation of his/her commission.
    Last edited by JALU3; 01-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I can definitely see that a Merchant Marine can have reservist status for Starfleet.

I can also see that one can sign up as a reservist, without any extra training, when graduating from a Merchant Marine academy. This is just sort of a "In case of emergency, consider me a volunteer" statement.

Then there are also courses/training that one can sign up for. The reasons for taking these can be because it improves the CV for when applying to a new position as a Merchant Marine, or just as extra training option to learn more; but it can also be an option to get into Starfleet without going the Starfleet academy route.

The most pressing need for Starfleet at the moment would be engineers. Beside manning the replacement ships and increasing the rank of teachers, they are also needed at the ship yards. But engineering isn't all Starfleet might need, so in case you prefer something else, I'm sure we can make a good reason on why the character is on board.

If you want to take on the chief of engineering role, then the character should at least just have passed a reservist course that gives the qualification to take that position on a Class 6 Supply Ship.

Would you allow a background for my character in some sort of Andorian Defence Fleet or the Imperial Guard, that has been assigned by his superiors to 'help Starfleet out' in the time of need and at the same time gather some first hand experience with the new dangers that have been encountered so that he could report some of it back to the IG, Andorian Defence Force/Fleet orrwhatever service he was with?

Technically I'd say I pretty much base the crunch on the Andorian security officer found in the ICON TNG core book (in the sample adventure). I shall come up with another name though and write a (somewhat?) different background and might change on or two little things skill wise, if that's ok with you, Magnus.

If so, go with the Andorian Defence Fleet.

Considering that they had an officer exchange program with the Klingons and the Benzite (Episode "A Matter of Honor"), having "exchange programs" within the Federation would be quite natural between the different defence fleets and Starfleet. As Mendon wears a Starfleet uniform, the reason that we have not seen any UFP exchange officers on screen could easily be that they just blend in.

So if the character has been part of a Starfleet crew for a month or two earlier, and possible taken a few courses at Starfleet academy, both within the exchange program, then getting the position would be very plausible. Especially if the character are trained in Ship tactical, as phasers and torpedoes; as even if there are reservists that might have that kind of training, they don't have it as part of their everyday job.

As I see it, the Andorian Defence Fleet is well trained. But if there wouldn't be any exchange program, the different defence fleet personnel would not get much actual experience. So just having a few officers getting experience from things as patrolling the frontier would be valuable for them.

What you just said pretty much sums up what I had in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    I can definitely see that a Merchant Marine can have reservist status for Starfleet.

I can also see that one can sign up as a reservist, without any extra training, when graduating from a Merchant Marine academy. This is just sort of a "In case of emergency, consider me a volunteer" statement.

Then there are also courses/training that one can sign up for. The reasons for taking these can be because it improves the CV for when applying to a new position as a Merchant Marine, or just as extra training option to learn more; but it can also be an option to get into Starfleet without going the Starfleet academy route.

The most pressing need for Starfleet at the moment would be engineers. Beside manning the replacement ships and increasing the rank of teachers, they are also needed at the ship yards. But engineering isn't all Starfleet might need, so in case you prefer something else, I'm sure we can make a good reason on why the character is on board.

If you want to take on the chief of engineering role, then the character should at least just have passed a reservist course that gives the qualification to take that position on a Class 6 Supply Ship.
    I can play an engineer, that isn't a problem, but I was initially thinking more of a Red Shirt type, at present at Cal Maritime the program is known as the Strategic Sealift Officer, so I would imagine a similar program would exist in the 24th century. Either way, I can play a gold shirt no problem. Thus, without needing the renown requirements of the "stepping up" on p.75, any skills listed in that section required, that are not created in the usual Merchant Marine build will just be added and explained away as learned from additional courses at Cal Maritime related to the Reservist training program. As the character would also be a newly minted Third Engineer, Reservist Starfleet Ensign in the Engineering Branch, I would also think that the character would not be ready for a Chief Engineer spot, but given the needs of Starfleet would be assigned the billet anyway.

Character name: Lyndia-Jene "Lyn" Fernandez
    Player: JALU3
    Position: Chief Engineer
    Species: Human
    Current Assignment: Activated Reservist aboard U.S.S Thera

Background:
    Coming from a African-American/Filipino Creole heritage, her family has a long history with the Oceans of Earth, it's Littoral waters, and later space. When the Mariners went to the stars, so did her family, and keeping with the family trade, Lyn so followed.
    Having fallen in love with a non-blood related cousin, Jerico, he a year older and very bright. This love went unrequited He joined Starfleet and at the Academy was both a Pre-Med and a computer engineering cadet. Hoping to one day work with him, in order to become closer to him. As fate would have it, given his superior placement scores, he was assigned to the U.S.S. Melbourne at the direction of Admiral Hanson; his corpse was later found with her wreckage.
    At the time, she was a third year cadet Cal Maritime, and in her loss she drank heavily, and almost ruined her chance at graduating. It was at the urging of her Aunt Thelma that she righted herself and made it to graduation; however during those darker drunken time she engaged in some activities she was not proud of.
    Upon graduation, her reserve commission in Starfleet was activated, given the manpower needs of a weakened fleet.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One