Thread: Not much activity of late, I see...

Not much activity of late, I see...

Greetings to one and all. I am new to the Trek RPG Forums, but not to Star Trek or Role Playing! I've been an active game master for over 30 years and a FASA Trek game master since the first edition hit the shelves. I've tried the other Trek offerings (Prime Directive, LUG and Decipher), but found them to be not quite what I was looking for in a Trek RPG. I know a lot of people have issues with the direction FASA took Trek, but - as I came into Trek fandom and the RPG hobby from a strong naval/historical background - I find FASA's expression of Trek to be rather close to my own. (That isn't to say that I run Honor Harrington Trek; I still prefer scenarios geared toward exploration and discovery as opposed to non-stop combat.)

So; is there anyone out there who still has enthusiasm for this aging classic?

I still the FASA Trek is very viable. I do think the character generation process could use some updating with the addition of the now industry standard advantages and disadvantages. In addition, I think the Action Point mechanic is dated as well. However, neither of these issues is a game breaker in my opinion and I remain a fan of this system.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I particularly enjoyed the FASA scenario - less so the mechanics of the game. Ended up running "Decision at Midnight" adapted for CODA last year....it was very enjoyable. Even went out and purchased a lot of the FASA materials just to integrate into a campaign if I wanted to. It's a terrible shame that most of FASA's work was ditched when The Next Generation came out.

I live by the Coda system rules-wise, but my content is 99% FASA. Great stuff! Most of the modules have enough material to base a mini-campaign on them.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

I game with FASA and Coda, both systems are good and they each have their little quirks.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

I picked up a copy of FASA Trek (2nd edition, Deluxe) recently, and I was pretty impressed by the rules set. I never encountered FASA Trek back in the day - LUG Trek (TOS) is my only real exposure to running Trek.

The system seems pretty intuitive to me. But, I'm an unapologetic fan of d100 games (Call of Cthulhu, Runequest) so I may have a bias.

I, also, prefer percentile based systems. In my experience they flow far more smoothly than mixed dice or dice pool systems. And FASA Trek was one of the better offerings in the d100 market.

I own (and ran a little) FASA Trek and love the system and the setting. Unfortunately, I've always had trouble finding players for it.

I ran a couple of games several years ago and even set up an Obsidian Portal site. I had plans for a fifth Man-Kzin (or Federation-Kzin) War, mostly based on the "Lost Fleet" of Kzin ships that fled (yes, fled) from the Fourth Man-Kzin War in an attempt to consolidate and return. I planned to use Star Fleet Battles Kzinti vessels (and minatures) in the game to represent the throwback designs of the earlier wars.

Here's the link to the Obsidian Portal site (though there's not really much to it):

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...shatteredpeace

The players were started out in a Ranger-Class Scout. I had plans for it to be part of a three-scout squadron when the war finally broke out. It took place around 2288 (around the time of Star Trek V, I believe).

I like FASA's version of the RPG a great deal. The RPG and the related starship game are very fun. Back in high school when TNG was still on the air, a buddy and I ran a FASA Trek campaign set in the later TNG/early DS9 years.
    Unfortunately, we all went away to college and were unable to carry the characters into the Dominion War.

I played and ran it alot, adapting most all of the modules I could find into TNG-era stories for my crew. The modules I recall running were: Starfall (White Dwarf magazine issue 64), Old Soldiers Never Die, Margin of Profit & Orion Ruse. These were aboard a Ranger class vessel. Later the game moved onto an Ambassador-class ship.

We also made up a Klingon crew and played through a few of the FASA Klingon modules, as well as ones tying into the klingon arc on the show.