Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Bajor Sourcebook

Stats, or descriptions?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Descriptions I can usuallyn handle. Its the stats I have trouble with. Usually I farm this stuff out to BrianK (for both) as a semi-regular transadtlantic collaboration (Love the internet!!!)... he reckons that perhaps he can take a look Friday!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Well, the DS9 book already has the interceptor. What's left? The combat sessels from 'the Siege,' the impulse fighter, the transport vessel, a freighter...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well, my rough plan had the following, which I shared with BrianK yesterday...

Bajoran Fleet

- Bajoran Assault Ship
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ptortransport/
    As we know ICON stats are in the DS9 core rulebook, and a damn beautiful ship. Not sure if there are ICON stats.

- Bajoran Sub-Impulse Raider
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...sheet-72-s.jpg
    http://www.startrek.com/database_art...impulse-raider
    useful for those 'Occupation-era' games, and of course there may still be a few mothballed in lost resistance cache's

- Bajoran Transport Ship
    Fairly standard impulse transport...
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ssault-vessel/
    http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media...el/320x240.jpg

- Bajoran Scout Ship
    The on-screen model was the same as the Transport ship, but clearly much smaller, as it was a one-person capable ship... http://www.startrek.com/database_art...ran-scout-ship

However this one-off use gives us some leeway, and Rick Sternbachs concept art is much better and thats the one I want to be using;
    http://archive.propworx.com/1008/Ori..._Sternbach/352

- Bajoran Sunsailor
    Was originally thinking a stats version, but I dont think we would be looking at
    games on Ancient Bajora... (Then again...)
    What are the opinions of the Forum, it coul simply be a historical note in a side-bar with Sisko's version as the only current example.

Good images here;
    http://www.neutralzone.de/database/A...SailVessel.htm

Of course I stumbled accross this Starfleet one from approx. 2390, which had a great blurb/history, tied it into Bajor and most importantly I fell in love with... THIS I want to put into the book;

The Knox-Johnston Class....
    http://www.treknology.org/shuttles1.htm
    http://www.treknology.org/new/knox-johnston-ric1.jpg
    (Do we have any rules for riding Tachyon Eddies for warp speed?)

I think one of the drawbacks is that none of these are (technically) warp-capable
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Well, Tahna Los's ship would've been warp-capable (otherwise where the hell are the Cardassians chasing him from?). Razka Karn met Kira in the Badlands, so his ship is definitely warp-capable. The Cardassian versions of the assault ship model also had warp drives, being in an interstellar convoy, so the possibility that at least one fell into Bajoran hands with a working engine isn't remote.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Well, Tahna Los's ship would've been warp-capable (otherwise where the hell are the Cardassians chasing him from?). Razka Karn met Kira in the Badlands, so his ship is definitely warp-capable. The Cardassian versions of the assault ship model also had warp drives, being in an interstellar convoy, so the possibility that at least one fell into Bajoran hands with a working engine isn't remote.

And yet it was a common theme throughout that the Bajoran fleet was not warp capable... Enough for it to be a major part of the Romulan gloating in season 7 when they were threatening an assault on the Bajoran blockade. Now that doesn't mean that there are no warp-ships on Bajor (they hired Captain Yates and the Xhosa was a warp capable freighter).

Perhaps the common ground here is that the Sub Impulse and Assault ships are nor warp, but access to Starfleet tech during the membership petition phase and analyzing Cardassian tech may mean they have older warp capabilities...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I'm not sure Kira would've responded with, "You're wrong! We have two..." I don't think it makes sense for a newly-enriched Bajor to just hire warp ships when there's plenty of Federation and Ferengi dealers out there. Even if supply and upkeep of those ships is taxing for a planetary economy (which I would guess it is) that's exactly the kind of thing DS9 does on a daily basis, fix and supply passing ships. Up until 'Rapture,' the Federation is probably willing to just give them ships as an inducement to become more involved with interstellar commerce (and therefore more receptive to the benefits of Federation membership). If xenophobic elements of the Bajoran government don't want to take them, then they'd be back at the necessity to build and maintain their own fleet—and the Ferengi Scrap Dealer option...

Assuming you take the Romulan's broad insult as wholly correct, most of the Bajoran's ships would probably be off warping to or from a place, instead of just sitting around.

ok. having thought on this a bit further... I think that the way forward is that Bajor has warp technologies, but this was suppressed during the occupation.

So stuff that needs to be interstellar will be warp capable, but maybe a generation out of date, so the ubiquitous transport that everone else seems to be using, and the scout ship and assault vessel.

Sub Impulse fighter and winged raider were designed as system and atmosphere patrol craft and have no warp capacilities.

Once they sign up with the UFP they will have access to more, and it is this reason why they have not yet developed their own, along with the difficulties of setting up an anti-matter refinary on the already ravaged planet.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I definately need to farm something out... Does anyone want to volunteer to have a crack at a Bajoran Martial Art? I figure it may not be common (having been outlawed in practice during the occupation), but I think it would be nice for the Bajorans to have a Tai Chi type martial art used for mental focus and meditation as well as self-defence...

Any thoughts? Even a discussion on this might help?
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Dan I searched the net to find a name for this martial art, and I came accross this name. Bajoran Martial Arts: Hal'Kereth. I like this name, it has certainely a mystic touch. As for the maneuvers: I thinking the following maneuvers (Dind't come up with a name for the maneuvers):

Hal'Kereth

Requirements:
    Dodge 1, Theology 1 (Bajoran) 2

Basic Maneuvers:
    Block
    Advanced Strike Difficulty 7, damage 1D6+4
    Throw Difficulty 6, Damage 1+1D6 and prone
    Precision Strike Difficulty 8, Damage 3+1D6 Stun

Advanced Maneuvers:
    Redirect Delayed action, Opposed roll, Damage targets attacking damage
    Riposte Block if block successfull +2 on next Throw or Percision strike

I think that their religious aspect runs deep into this martial arts, and that it is focused on defending and taking out an opponent without killing them.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Nice... Will have a bit of a play with that. Also considering lifting a Cardassian Martial Art (or a hybrid of such due to incomplete instruction, perhaps with reduced special moves and higher difficulties) as a result of the occupation... As well as a notation on Brawling and Knife Fighting (The resistance fought VERY Dirty)

The Modern post-Occupation Bajoran Militia would likely be training in Starfleet Martial Arts...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Food for thought: most martial arts developed out of weapons being banned the masses by overlords. This also had an impact on weapon development. Weapons often served a duel purpose–weapon and farm implement; thus why most far eastern weapons seem strange. The best examples I can think of is the tonfa (believed to be handles of millstones), and the various sickle like weapons. Can’t deny the farmers the tools of their lively hood–even if they may cut your throat with it in the middle of the night!
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Food for thought: most martial arts developed out of weapons being banned the masses by overlords. This also had an impact on weapon development. Weapons often served a duel purpose–weapon and farm implement; thus why most far eastern weapons seem strange. The best examples I can think of is the tonfa (believed to be handles of millstones), and the various sickle like weapons. Can’t deny the farmers the tools of their lively hood–even if they may cut your throat with it in the middle of the night!
    Flails were used to thresh wheat before anybody turned them into nunchuks. Somebody told me once that the sai was based on some kind of spade for planting rice; I don't know if that one is true or not.

Anybody remember seeing any unusual farm implements on Bajor? I remember a couple of episodes where Kira visited farms, but the details escape me.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Flails were used to thresh wheat before anybody turned them into nunchuks. Somebody told me once that the sai was based on some kind of spade for planting rice; I don't know if that one is true or not.

Anybody remember seeing any unusual farm implements on Bajor? I remember a couple of episodes where Kira visited farms, but the details escape me.
    That would be the episode; Progress. Where said farmers used the farm tools in a threatening manner...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres..._Space_Nine%29

DanG/Darth Gurden

Well... I dont think that I am going to do a full write up of all Bajors farming tools and there respective hit difficulties and damages...

But I can see a couple in here that might fit the bill;
    http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cu...rden_17255.asp

Thanks for the nudge...
    DanG/Darth Gurden