Thread: New to FASA Trek: some rules questions

New to FASA Trek: some rules questions

Hi all,

just got me a nice 2nd edition box set of ebay and looking forward to running some Trek adventures, but I had a few questions pop up and finding the answers to them proved challenging! So I hope someone here still reads this forum and can help me out...

1) Fatigue Saving Rolls for evading. The op manual says:
    Evade: If a character uses all AP to evade for a full turn, he
    may take temporary damage. The player must make a Saving
    Roll against the character's MAX OP END with a -20 modifier.

Now this modifier, is it a penalty or bonus (so easier or more difficult to succeed?)

2) Wound and Fatigue Healing Rate. The officer's manual says the former is calculated by dividing END score by 20 and the latter by 10, while the op manual says the exact opposite. Which of the two is the correct?

Many thanks in advance!

Wow, I've been playing this game since 1987 and never noticed either of those discrepancies. The wording of the Evade fatigue rule is pretty vague and open to interpretation. Personally, I believe the intent is to make the roll a penalty to represent how tiring evasive movement is and thus harder to avoid fatigue.

As for the Wound and Fatigue Healing Rate, I have always gone with dividing END score by 20 for Wound and divide by 10 for Fatigue.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Sure thing, you have any other questions or need ships, or adventures, or just about anything else for the good Old FASA Trek, you let me know. As I mentioned, I've been using those rules for a long time and have a lot of stuff for the system/setting.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I'll take you up on that offer Pericles as there were some other things I was wondering about...

- The combat system: it seems rather crunchy with the attack modifiers/tactical movement on the battlemap/alternating turns etc. How fast/easy to run is combat in FASA Trek in your experience?

- Starship combat: I had a look at the included tactical combat board game but it's too complex for my blood. The manual however also gave a bare bones, one page example of a roleplaying starship combat system which I did like. Do you know if anyone ever elaborated on this and if it's available somewhere on the net? I gathered FASA's own 'Enemy contact: bridge alert' module for just this purpose never actually got published.

Cheers,

You have to remember the era in which FASA Trek was designed when crunch was the law of the land. Rules-lite didn't exist and even if it did, it would have been the darkest heresy. Thus, unfortunately the combat system is crunchy and there are no quick fixes short of wholesale replacement. The only real trick I can offer is to keep fights small and abstract larger fights by giving NPCs a flat attack and dodge of 25-35%.

I'd suggest you give the very excellent Starship tactical combat simulator another look. It's a lot simpler than you think and a total blast to play. I've always enjoyed the simulator and have never even considered using anything simpler. My only suggestion is to use the same sort of roll the PC's skill to hit and give the NPC ship a fixed base percentage to avoid the hit sort of thing as above.

Thanks for the suggestions. Are there rules/stats available (official or fan made) for making player characters of other raceany s not included in the basic rule set and the klingon/orion/romulan expansions?

I've got some stuff I've downloaded over time, but don't get me to lying as to where to find it now. Shoot me a PM and I can send you what I have.