Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical rules

Medical rules

The Medical rules in ICON are not that clear, so I made up my own (using differnet ruls of other RPG's and house rules found here on the forum). I see by the number of posts that the idea for this sort of source book is nuch appriciated, so I will continue the work. I will take a lot of time, and I need a little help. So if there are other people out there that have similar rules, post them here. And as always, al comment is more than welcome. Here is the list of all chapters and I wil post word file on each chapter:

Front cover:
    1 Front.doc

1 Hippocratic Oath (A good tip from Dan Gurden)
    Chapter 1 Hippocratic Oath.doc

2 Forword

3 Medical science in the Universe
    Explication of the advances made by several species + The modern version of the oath

4 Damage (finished)
    Explication of damage, wound level and critical injuries
    Chapter 4 Damage.doc

5 Natural Healing (finished)
    Explication of Natural Healing
    Chapter 5 Natural Healing.doc

6 Medical Care (nearly finished)
    Explication of First Aid, Advanced treatment, surgery, alternate medicine, Psychology
    Chapter 6 Medical Care.doc

7 Genetic Manipulation and Cybernetics
    Rules for Genetic manipulation and cybernetics

8 Other Forms of Damage
    Explication on other forms of damage and there effects (how to use critical injuries
    for thse damage types) Asphyxiation, Diseases, Explosions, Extreme Environment,
    Falling, Falling Objects, Fatigue, Fire, Gravity, Poison, Radiation, and Sleep-
    Deprivation.

9 Medical Technology & Druggs
    List of all medical gear including a list of most known Medical Druggs.

10 Weapon & Armor
    Stats for weapons and protective gear.

11 New Skills & New Traits
    A list of new skill and medical related advantages and disadvantages.

12 New Species
    A list of species that have some sort of advanced medical knowledge: Angosians (bioengineerd soldiers program), Viidians, and the Borg (and Ex Borg)

13 Creating Medical Characters
    A list of different overlays

14 Famous Characters
    Stas for famous medical characters.
    Last edited by IKI; 03-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

See above
    Last edited by IKI; 03-03-2012 at 04:39 AM.

See First post
    Last edited by IKI; 03-03-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Nice...

You ought to work all that into a Medical sourcebook!

Work up a 24th century version of the hipocratic oath and your there!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by IKI View Post
    Alternate Hit locations:
    Roll: Target Location: Modifer: Effect:
    2 Head/Neck +5 Damage x2
    3 Upper Arm/Shoulder (Left) +3 Must make Moderate (7) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    4 Upper Arm/Shoulder (Right) +3 Must make Moderate (7) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    5 Lower Arm/Hand (Left) +4 Must make Challenging (9) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    6 Lower Arm/Hand (Right) +4 Must make Challenging (9) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    7 Chest/Abdomen +2 Damage x 1.5
    8 Chest/Abdomen vital area +3 Damage x 1.5, Reduce all movement to half normal
    9 Upper Leg/Thigh (Left) +2 Reduce all movement to half normal
    10 Upper Leg/Thigh (Right) +2 Reduce all movement to half normal
    11 Lower Leg/Foot (Left) +4 Reduce all movement to one-quarter normal
    12 Lower Leg/Foot (Right) +4 Reduce all movement to one-quarter normal
    Looks like you are using a 2D6 to determine the hit location. That is a bell curve distribution. So if that is the case, you currently have a 1/36 chance to be hit in the lower right leg, but 1/18 to be hit in the lower left leg. Placing the hard to hit areas on 2 and 12, then the next difficult target on 3 and 11, etc, would be a way to handle it.

I have just glanced over the text, but looks good

I made an update on the previous posts.
    -Changed the hit location table as Cpt. Ludgren suggested (thx for the info btw).
    -Added Cranial Trauma (should normally be in the first post but it was to long)
    -And added Neural Stimulator use in First Aid "Shock".

And Dan I would like to make that medical manual but I don't know how long it would take, so I will give it a try.

I'm in the process of creating a medical handbook, but I need some ideas on how to implement the critical injuries.

For the moment I use the Dramatic success to determine if an attack causes critical injuries. This however possess some problems because most maneuvers from martial arts (both Armed and unarmed) raises in difficulty; and the damage follows accordingly. So dramatic success becomes less lickely, and the higher damage would normally mean that htey are more likelly to get critical injuries.

One possible way to go is to use damage (I use 12 damage in one hit) to determine critical injuries, but it posses some prolems too, because characters with high resistance could almost be inprevious to critical injuries.
    Example: Critical Injuries against a NPC with Resistance 6 (Fitness 4, Vitality +2). A knife 2D6+3 does only a max of 15 damage and he resists 6 of it, so no way to get a 12.

Any other ideas out there

After some thinking I came up with the following possibility. I incorporated critical injuries into the Hit location table. tell what you think of it (it is just a test model):

Hit Locations
    Roll: Target Location: Modifier: Effect:
    2 Critical injury +5 +1d6 damage, add a critical injury, roll 2D6 to determine location*
    3 Lower Arm/Hand (Left) +4 Must make Challenging (9) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    4 Lower Arm/Hand (Right) +4 Must make Challenging (9) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    5 Upper Arm/Shoulder (Left) +3 Must make Moderate (7) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    6 Upper Arm/Shoulder (Right) +3 Must make Moderate (7) Coordination roll to hold on to any held items, including weapons.
    7 Chest/Abdomen +2 -
    8 Upper Leg/Thigh (Left) +2 Reduce all movement to half normal
    9 Upper Leg/Thigh (Right) +2 Reduce all movement to half normal
    10 Lower Leg/Foot (Left) +4 Reduce all movement to one-quarter normal
    11 Lower Leg/Foot (Right) +4 Reduce all movement to one-quarter normal
    12 Head/Nek +4 +1d6 damage, Challenging (9) Coordination roll to avoid falling prone.

*I've you roll a 2 on the location, then an extra critical injury is added to the same area or a new area. You can also only use your skill level once to slide up or down a level. But if you did'nt spend all of your skill level to slide up or down you can use the rest for the new roll.
    And a target only suffers form a critical injury if the damage (after applying restance) was equal to his resistance.
    Last edited by IKI; 02-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IKI View Post
    And Dan I would like to make that medical manual but I don't know how long it would take, so I will give it a try.
    If it would help, I have a medical supplement someone started way back in the day. I had ment to finish it up but never got around to it. I can forward it to you as soon as I have time to find it. . .might be a good starting point for you and make things a little easier.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

If it would help, I have a medical supplement someone started way back in the day. I had ment to finish it up but never got around to it. I can forward it to you as soon as I have time to find it. . .might be a good starting point for you and make things a little easier.
    He that would be great redwood. All the help is more than welcome.

Okay, it's on the way to you. Sent it to your e-mail address listed on your profile. Subject is "Medical Manual."
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Thx redwood for the file. It was a file I created several years ago. We stopped using it in our group because it involved to much tables to take into acount. It was a conversion of rules found in an old advanced D&D 2th edition book. I use several things in their for the new file I'm creating. The first thing I want to change compared to the first file is to simplify the critical hits. We are going to start the game in the ICON system (I've always hated the classes in the CODA game), so I've started to work on several projects again. These are the chapter I thinck will be incorporated.

1 Forword
    2 Hippocratic Oath (A good tip from Dan Gurden)
    The modern version of the oath
    3 Medical science in the Universe
    Explication of the advances made by several species
    4 Damage (nearly finished)
    Explication of damage, wound level and critical injuries
    5 Natural Healing (finished)
    6 Medical Care (nearly finished)
    Explication of First Aid, Advanced treatment, surgery, alternate medicine
    7 Genetic Manipulation and Cybernetics
    Rules for Genetic manipulation and cybernetics
    8 Other Forms of Damage
    Explication on other forms of damage and there effects (how to use critical injuries
    for thse damage types) Asphyxiation, Diseases, Explosions, Extreme Environment,
    Falling, Falling Objects, Fatigue, Fire, Gravity, Poison, Radiation, and Sleep-
    Deprivation.
    9 Medical Technology & Druggs
    List of all medical gear including a list of most known Medical Druggs
    10 New Traits
    A list of medical related advantages and disadvantages.

Feel free to post what ever rule or addition you have used in your games. Ideas for pictures to be included are also more than welcome. I will post regurarly with ideas and new additions, and I need a lot of feed-back. So your comment on the work is appriciated. I'm not easely offended, so onesty is the key.

I always find picture hunting a nice part of the sourcebook planning... But big tip... Wait until after the text is written before you format them in (easier said than done I can tell you).

If you have a specific image in mind for a section (even if you havn't found the picture yet) make a little note in thye approx. place in the document and add it during formatting. this also keeps the file size under control when putting it all together...

Happy to help out with anything should you need it!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Somewhere out there on the web I found a nice little chart of diseases. It had three or four colums--first was the name of the illness, then cause, symptoms and then was treatment. I wish I could find it again. The first was obviously the name of the illness, the second colum had game stats on what caused it and how to tell if the character was exposed or caught it, third colum was game stats on how it affected the charcter and finally the last colum was game stats on treatments and recovery. I fear it is one of my dead links in my fav. list. Wish I had .pdf'ed it back in the day.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Hey guys, I have some old word files containing medical equipment (ICON rules) and a list of diseases. If you think any of that may be of use, let me know and I'll dig out the old HD.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"