Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medical rules

Another update:
    Finished the Damage chapter
    Also added a new chapter Weapons and Armor to the list.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Here are the Ogawa and Tarses characters as of their final appearance on TNG (i.e., Ogawa at the end of season seven; and Tarses from his only appearance in "The Drumhead." I had developed some post-TNG stuff for Tarses, but have left that out in this to allow Narrator/Players to develop these characters how they like.

If you're interested in them, feel free to use them however you like in the fanbook.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

IKI, had a little time to read some of the updates. On Ch. 4 Damage under the heading DAMAGE there is the subheading Weapon Damage. The subheading has no text after it.

Just a suggestion regarding Ch. 1 Hippocratic Oath; do we really need this as a separate chapter? The quote would make a good opening to the Forward, while the remaining text would seem rather more at home in a sidebar in Ch. 3 Medical Science in the Universe. Just an opinion offered for your consideration.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Here are the Ogawa and Tarses characters as of their final appearance on TNG (i.e., Ogawa at the end of season seven; and Tarses from his only appearance in "The Drumhead." I had developed some post-TNG stuff for Tarses, but have left that out in this to allow Narrator/Players to develop these characters how they like.

If you're interested in them, feel free to use them however you like in the fanbook.

I think that the update for Nurse Ogawa for her appearance in the movies Generations and First Contact would up her rank to Full Lieutenant. I also read somewhere that she married her romantic attachment and had a child, but her husband died in the Dominion War.

Some of this is off Memory Beta I am sure and the only on-screen canon was the rank.

I do know that Tarses (in the novels) has become a supporting cast in the DS9 relaunch and is now a qualified doctor and in service as either a civilian or Militia doctor on Deep Space Nine. I think he was militia actually and that ironically both he and Ro Laren end up back in Starfleet upon ratificatin of Bajors UFP membership...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Thx redwood I must have missed the weapon section. I will have to look into it.
    And that suggestion for the Oath is a good one. And also thx for the Owaga pdf file, and the update you provide Dan.

Now something totally different:
    A great tragedy struck or country today: Twenty-two belgian children and six adults died when returning from a ski trip in switserland. All my though go to the families who suffered from this terrible loss. And may thx to all rescue workers in switserland that helped the victims of the crash. I'm a father of 2 childeren and I work in a hospital, and I can't imagine what those families must go through, or what those rescue workers must have gone through. It's one of these times I whised that the medical technology from the Star Trek future would exist today, at least then they would have saved a lot of them.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/14/wo...ash/index.html

I will update as soon as possible, and I appriciate all the feedback for this project.

Did a quick pass at Dr Tody Russell... Famed Federation doctor... Trying to make her a tad more sypathetic than the episode she was in, doesn't stop her ethics from being off-kilter*, but in her world she was trying to be a good doctor and advance medical science.

Next up her Cardassian Counterpart Dr Krell Mossett

*Ethics. Actually, perhaps thats the subject matter for a chapter on the hypocratic oath... Needs to ne tailored for a non-medical player with guidance on how to play a doctor...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Fixed the weapon section of the Damage chapter.
    I just need some feedback on the critical hit system.
    And I was thinking of using this for the broken bones critical injury:
    Broken bones run the gamut from minor fractures that don’t hinder a character at all to life-threatening compound fractures. Generally, the previous two injury categories are considered to include minor breaks or cracks; this category is reserved for severe fractures. A character suffering from this type of injury drops at least to the Incapacitated wound level regardeless of the damage dealt, and makes the limb useless until healed (if healed naturally, the character will suffer from the Physical Impairment flaw), and even then it takes time to heal. Increase the difficulty of all physical tests depending on the need for the limb.

What do you guys think of it.

He Dan I added a new edition from your suggestion. Tell me what you think of it, you can find under the Cover file.
    Last edited by IKI; 03-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Finally I good some time to work on the project again. Here is the Diagnosis chapter I worked on lately. It is not finished yet but feedback would help a lot.

DIAGNOSIS:
    Once a patient is out of danger and before the start of any kind of treatment a physician must examine him properly, so that he can diagnose the condition and start the appropriate medical treatment. Some injuries (like bleeding) speak for them self, so they do not need to be diagnosed (NG discretion). The diagnosis process is divided is four parts: Basic Examination, First Diagnosis, Medical Tests (Data-base consultation, Laboratory Test, Medical Imaging, and Exploratory Surgery) and the Second Diagnosis. The Narrator determines what sort of examinations are needed to make a proper diagnosis test, the test difficulties of the tests, how long it takes, and which skills can be used to make the tests. Many of the tests below don’t have to be performed by the same character, as it is these days multiple medical disciplines help each other out in making a proper and good diagnosis.

BASIC EXAMINATION:
    A basic examination involves talking to the patient, performing a physical examination, and a quick tricorder scan. Examples of the information gained by a basic examination are: Patient symptoms, Level of consciousness, Pulse, blood pressure, temperature, reflexes… The physician can use his Medical tricorder to help with the basic examination. He makes a moderate Personal Equipment (Medical Tricorder) test. If successful, the physician gets a +1 bonus on the First Diagnosis test and further the Medical test (if performed). A Dramatic success half’s the time to make the basic examination, or it adds a +2 bonus as it reveals unusual info on the condition. It takes about 30 minutes to perform a basic examination. If you do not have much time you can take only a Tricorder scan or just check a characters vital signs, in that case the Basic examination takes about 1 to 5 minutes.

FIRST DIAGNOSIS:
    After successfully collecting the data from the basic examination the Physician makes his First Diagnosis (part of the examination time). He makes a Medical Science (Diagnosis) or First Aid (Limited only to a handful of conditions: mostly physical in nature). The difficulty for this test depends on what condition you are trying to diagnose and is subject to different modifiers (See Diagnosis Modifiers). A wound has a moderate difficulty and a severe or difficult wound to detect can have higher difficulties. For other diagnosis difficulties consult chapter 4 (example: diseases, poison, and radiation). If successful, the test reveals the patients wound level (plus nr of wound points left in that wound level), and the condition is diagnosed so that treatment can start immediately. If the diagnosis reveals that the patient is dying (Near Death Wound level), direct medical attention is needed to stabilize him (See Chapter 7 Medical Care “First Aid”). A dramatic success gives some extra information on the condition (providing in a +1 bonus on the treatment test). If he physician fails the test, he can order a specific Medical test(s), and make a second diagnosis with the new information. If he fails dramatically, he doesn’t have a clue, and must start making medical tests randomly. Not all conditions can be diagnosed with a basic examination only, so the first diagnosis test automatically fails and you must proceed with the Medical tests. Sometimes a patient suffers from multiple conditions. If that is the case the physician makes a roll for each condition separately and in order of urgency (Narrator determines the order).

Diagnosis Modifiers:
    Description: Modifier:
    Never encountered the condition +3
    Encountered the condition regularly -3
    No specialization for that species +3
    Clearly visible condition (broken bone, cardiac arrest) -3
    Patient is unconscious or only performed Tricorder scan +3

MEDICAL TESTS:
    Many conditions cannot be detected by just performing a basic examination. These conditions require more time, and more precise scans or other forms of medical tests. Below follow a number of the most common forms of medical tests.
    Each of these tests requires making a skill test described in the entry of each medical test with a difficulty set by the Narrator. If successful, you get a +1 on the Second Diagnosis test. A Dramatic success half’s the time to perform the test, or it adds a +2 bonus as it reveals specific info that can help the diagnosis. A failure on the tests results in finding nothing out of the ordinary or contaminates the sample and thus it results in -1 penalty on the second diagnosis test. A dramatic failure on the test gives a totally wrong impression and increase the penalty to -2, or it exposes the researcher to the potential pathogen (if one is present). If the condition requires multiple medical tests, these bonuses or penalties are cumulative.

Database Consultation: This is not a real medical test on its own, but it can help identifying the condition. You can search for info on a particular species physiology or search for specific symptoms. The physician makes a Computer (Research) skill test with a difficulty set by the Narrator. This difficulty should take the size of the data base, its accuracy and the obscurity of the info into account. Searching a database can take one to several hours of work, depending on the size of the database.

Exploratory Surgery: Sometimes all the medical technology is not sufficient, and the only way to get a good diagnosis to get look at problem itself. There for

Laboratory Test: One of the more common medical tests is to examine a patient’s body fluids (blood, urine, mucus…) or biopsy. When the physician needs to collect blood sample or tissue samples, a moderate Medical Science test is required. Follow the rule in the Medical Test entry for determining the bonus or penalty, and the bonus or penalty is not applied to the Second Diagnosis test but to the Science test required to analyze the samples (see below). Once the samples are taken, they need to be analyzed in the laboratories. The character analyzing the sample makes a Physical Science (Chemistry) test in case of body fluids or a Life Science (Biology or Exobiology) test in case of a tissue sample. The difficulty is set by the Narrator, he takes into account how difficult the necessary info is to detect. Taking Laboratory test takes several hours and the researcher needs to have access to a good working laboratory. If that is not the case then the Science test suffer from a penalty of -1 or more as a result of inadequate equipment.

Medical Imaging: A good medical imaging is sometimes enough to diagnose a condition. This can be accomplished by a thoroughly scanning of the patient with the Biobed, or the placement and monitoring of a portable medical sensor (example: Neuro-Cortical monitor). The operator or physician makes a Shipboard Systems (Medical System) test to scan the patient, or makes a Personal Equipment (Medical Monitor) test to attach a portable medical sensor and monitor its info. Scanning the patient takes about 30 minutes, but collecting the info on a portable medical sensor can takes several hours or even days. Normally only characters that are trained in Medical Science (or First Aid) may make these kinds of tests.

Psychic Evaluation: Many of the problems can be of imaginary nature. To rule that out, a physician can order a full and complete Psychic evaluation. The Councilor makes a Science Psychology (Specific Species) to determine if the disease is of imaginary nature. Sometimes a Psionic skill can be useful instead of or helps making the Science Psychology test. Only Telepathic skills can be used for this sort of exams. If that case, use the relevant Psionic skill and use the same TN set by the Narrator. Making a Psychic Evaluation takes time; it can vary from 1 to several sessions. The use of the Psionic skill can speed up the process.

SECOND DIAGNOSIS:
    Once that all the Medical tests are complete a second Diagnosis test may be performed. The Physician makes a new Science Medical (Diagnosis) and receives the penalties or bonuses from all relevant medical tests. The difficulty stays the same but it becomes a lot easier thanks to the Medical Tests.

ping.

Almost forgot about this one. Lets bump to top.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

BTW I ran up a Crell Mosset NPC. Is this thing going anywhere or should I put it in the Bajoran book?
    DanG/Darth Gurden