Thread: Reliability Question??

Reliability Question??

The NG states that if you have one reliabilty rating worse than the other.

Example: The ship that you are building, has an impulse system rating of a C and a warp system rating of a D. The NG states you must choose the worst of the two.

My question is considering some on screen evidence is this really (lack of a better word) fair?

How many of you that have constructed ships have the Reliability ratings that are different?

Should the damage system track (NG page 115) be divided? One for impulse and the other for warp?
    Hodor !

I think that this seems fair. I suppose the analogy here would be that of a convoy moving as fast as its slowest member.

So if a ship is damaged in combat the wekest point would be the least reliable system. So when the EPS conduit ruptures, using the ship example you give, it would be part of the Impulse systems, but could well affect the whole ship.

That said, there is an arguement that a targetted assault on the ships warp drive would be based on the better reliability.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I think I have a solution to the reliability issue for propulsion systems with different relaibility ratings:

PROPULSION SYSTEMS (Optional Rule)
    If the starship that you are constructing has two different reliabilty ratings, instead of giving the worst reliability for both (as stated in the Narrators Guide p.139). You need to have the system with the worst reliability rating take damage first, then the system with the better reliability rating takes damage, and so on with all effects cumulative.

Example: Lets say, you are building a heavy cruiser, and you have allocated to all your systems (Hull Data, Tactical Data, and Operations Data, etc.), but not your Propulsion Data.You elect to purchase a impulse system with a rating of a C, and a warp system with a rating of a D. Now in combat your ship is hit and on the Table 7.10(NG p. 115) the roll comes up as Propulsion and -2 to Initaitve(impulse system has the worst rating). In the next round of combat the roll from Table 7.10 comes up again, as Propulsion, and this time your warp system takes the damage in this case, the warp system has a rating of a D giving you -2 to Helm maneuvers. Now, later in combat, the roll for Propulsion comes up, and this time your impulse sytem takes damage again and the result is -2 to Initiative. Your ship now has a cumulative penalty of -4 to Initiative and a -2 to Helm maneuvers.
    Last edited by skree; 03-21-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Hodor !