Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek 2009 Movie

Has anyone done any creature stats for either of the monsters in the movie? Like that "polarilla" or the redress of the creature from Cloverfield?
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
    Actually, no. They're all younger by at least 10 years or more, Kirk is about 20 years younger than he should be, for instance. Spock is also about 20 years too young, McCoy about 10 years younger. Chekov is the only crew member that remains about the right age.

As for skills, you'll need to lose all the 'boring' professional skills and most RP-centric and replace them with combat-related skills. Each crew member can get ONE skill that's relavent to their job, and it will be completely maxed out. The 2009 movie is largely a cast of action-heroes, and not characters as such.

This isn't a slam on the movie per se, just a note about what this take on these characters are actually like. It's just important to note that these are not really the TOS characters. These are the TOS characters stripped down and put through a 'summer popcorn movie' filter.
    Kirk is only 10 years too young - he was 34 in season 1 TOS. Chekov is about 5 years too young - 17, as opposed to 22 in season 2 TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Kirk is only 10 years too young - he was 34 in season 1 TOS. Chekov is about 5 years too young - 17, as opposed to 22 in season 2 TOS.
    I thought Chekov was 22, a recent graduate (21 would be the right age, depending on your birthday.) Pine's Kirk seemed to be a late coming to the cadet program, but not by that much, so I guess 15 years younger.

But my point remains - they're WAY younger and less professional than the TOS crew are, by comparison. Much more physical, and far less 'robust' in their skills.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

It's established explicitly that Kirk is 25 in the movie. 9 years younger than season 1. Try watching the movie closely... Kirk was born as Nero entered the nu-universe. It's 25 years before Neroescapes the Klingons. Chekov states his age when asked "Just how old are you?"

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Every time I see Nero, I expect him to get angry and turn green !

One thing about the new JJ-verse Trek; it certainly gives a lot of opportunities for gaming - imagine a crew from the late 24th century being transported into that alternate universe ?

Well - that did kind of happen with Nero & the Romulans.

Wasn't Kirk in command of the Enterprise before season 1? I think there was a gap in there not covered in the show wasn't there?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Kirk had been in command for a couple of years. Where No Man Has Gone Before was set early in his command, before Bones had come aboard, and Kirk was just getting to know Spock.

Kirk had been in command of the Enterprise for an unspecified amount of time before TOS. Most of the references seen during TOS and most off screen stuff suggests that Kirk had been in command of the Enterprise for a few months, not years. Nothing is specifically stated though. A lot of KIrk's career was mentioned during the series though, and that might put some sort of "cut-off" date. For instance, I think "Obsession" reveal how many years since Kirk served aboard the Farragut.

One of the big changes in the retread is that Kirk seems to go right from Cadet to command of the Enterprise. That's the silly bit. I would be like giving command of the aircraft carrier Enterprise to an Annapolis graduate.

As far as the Abrams remake having a lot of room for stories, that goes with tossing out the continuity. Once you drop the established time-line you can let anything happen. Destroy Vulcan, or even Earth. You could even revisit any of the TOS stories and change the participants or the outcome, kill off TOS characters, whatever. What if Kirk and Spock didn"t get trapped on Organia? Or if Kirk didn't go after the Romulan ship during "Balance of Terror"? The possibilities are endless-although the burden of maintaining a new continuity rests with the GM.

BTW, anyone stop to ponder about what effect the destruction of Vulcan will have on Vulcan mating practices?

Another point of character development for the JJverse.

Sulu isn't a scientist there. In the original pilot WNMHGB (Kirk is about a year into his command) Sulu was a physicist. This means his original training was in the Sciences rather than Flight Control.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    Another point of character development for the JJverse.

Sulu isn't a scientist there. In the original pilot WNMHGB (Kirk is about a year into his command) Sulu was a physicist. This means his original training was in the Sciences rather than Flight Control.

Yes, but it is possible that Sulu was both. That is, he could have done well in both Physics and Helm. In the real world astronauts tend to have degrees as well as know how to fly. Sulu could have even started in Helm, switched to Sciences, and later switched back.

As far a it being a point of character development in the JUniverse, more like a side effect of turning the Trek Universe over to a guy who isn't familiar with it. I doubt Abrams was aware of the change, or any of the others. I doubt we'll see a Gary Mitchell in the JUniverse.

I'm sure Abrams wasn't awate that George Takai choose to have Sulu wield a rapier rather than a katana.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Yes, but it is possible that Sulu was both. That is, he could have done well in both Physics and Helm. In the real world astronauts tend to have degrees as well as know how to fly. Sulu could have even started in Helm, switched to Sciences, and later switched back.

As far a it being a point of character development in the JUniverse, more like a side effect of turning the Trek Universe over to a guy who isn't familiar with it. I doubt Abrams was aware of the change, or any of the others. I doubt we'll see a Gary Mitchell in the JUniverse.

I'm sure Abrams wasn't awate that George Takai choose to have Sulu wield a rapier rather than a katana.
    The evidence we have (not much I know) is that he started in Sciences then moved over to Helm.

As for Gary, the Abrams people have been doing (official) comics rewitting some episodes, WNMHGB was the first, so if the comics bridge the time between movies then Gary is been and gone.

IMO Abrams' is barely aware Trek existed before he took over!
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    The evidence we have (not much I know) is that he started in Sciences then moved over to Helm.
    Cannon evidence yeah. If we allow for some of the novels it gets more confusing.

As for Gary, the Abrams people have been doing (official) comics rewriting some episodes, WNMHGB was the first, so if the comics bridge the time between movies then Gary is been and gone.
    Or never existed, or never met Kirk. In the original timeline, Kirk meets Gary while serving as an instructor at Starfleet Academy. But in the Jtimeline, we don't know if Kirk ever did that.

IMO Abrams' is barely aware Trek existed before he took over!
    I agree. And I think that with the exception of killing off both Kirk and Spock's fathers, whatever continuity changes occur are more by accident than design.