Thread: Star Trek D20?

Star Trek D20?

With the Playmates Toys exclusivity contract expiring, and Hasbro already snatching up the licensing from Paramount for the toys and games, when do you think we'll see a WotC version of Trek?

What do you hope to see out of it? What would you dread to see?

I don't think we'll see a Trek game from WotC in the near future.

IF we see one, I'd say it'll probably be something akin to Star Wars SAGA.
    This means, that they could use it as a testbed for their newly announced 5th Edition of D&D (exactly what they did with SAGA and the 4th Edition of D&D) or they would just use the SAGA rules and press 'em on Trek. I haven't thought about that yet, but I don't feel like I like it.

Anyway, it probably won't matter to me that much, as I have the strong feeling, that any new Trek game will concentrate on the new Movies and the J.J.Abramsverse. Then again, a RPG needs to please as much people as possible, so who knows.

I am not desperate to see a new Trek game. I have both a very solid, near complete ICON and CODA collection and therefore more Trek stuff to play with than time and friends to do so with. A new, shiny book wouldn't change that problem, so I could live without one.

Regards, Cut.

The Modern and Microlite versions of Where No Man Has Gone Before already fill that niche.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    Anyway, it probably won't matter to me that much, as I have the strong feeling, that any new Trek game will concentrate on the new Movies and the J.J.Abramsverse. Then again, a RPG needs to please as much people as possible, so who knows.
    I agree that it would most likely JJverse. With WotC's current stable of writers and freelancers, Im not sure it would put much in the way of a strain on them to produce it. I cant imagine it would be before they finish up 5th Ed. and would in that case be a plugin for the modular 5e system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I am not desperate to see a new Trek game. I have both a very solid, near complete ICON and CODA collection and therefore more Trek stuff to play with than time and friends to do so with. A new, shiny book wouldn't change that problem, so I could live without one.

Regards, Cut.
    Agreed! Though Im a bit of a completionist, so even though I have no intention of playing any of them, I have Prime directive 1st ed, 2nd ed, GURPS and D20... so despite my lack of desire for yet another Trek RPG, My CDO (like OCD, but in alphabetical order, as it should!) would compell me to buy it.....

-Skalla

Cut, you took the words right outta my mouth
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Actually I'd love to see the JJ-verse fleshed out in an RPG. It would sort of be like when the original series and next gen got fleshed out early on in RPGs.

Yeah, I don't know that there's much of a market for such a game right now, so I wonder how much resources they'd devote to it.

I'm pretty pleased with our CODA game right now, so I'd likely not even get it, whether it focused on the JJverse, the older verse, or some combination, to be honest.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Why bother, CODA already mimics Prestige Classes and Feats ! LOL

And there's Prime Directive D20 too