Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek (2009) characters & ships...

You will, of course, compile all of these and send them to me. They will wind up on a website eventually.

In the meantime, there is a JJ-verse adventure with crew stats on the BTFF site. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

, there is a JJ-verse adventure with crew stats on the BTFF site.
    yeah I saw it actually. Very cool. I'm using the builds provided as somewhat of a basis.

You will, of course, compile all of these and send them to me.
    sure. what the hell? I'll want to test them first.

I assure you there is no rush.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

yeah seeing as though I'm using a years old discontinued game to stat up a years old movie. I figured as much.

Scotty is in progress. I've redone Kirk, Chekov, and Sulu. I'm going to redo the Enterprise too (the discount on beams and torpedoes was done wrong and besides... I just like to change things whenever I stat something in a game).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Baron, CODA will not steer you wrong; that's one of the things I love about the system. You can use it for any era of Trek - even if one had the mind to say "I'm going to set my series in 2429, aboard a new class of ship with transwarp drive" it could be done.

And GURPS is a lot of work - our GM loves it, and we have a lot of the books (sometimes I think their historical world-books are more informative than my daughter's history text-books).

I never cared for the Abrams-verse, myself. The movie is ok as an alternate time-line. I guess what puts me off to it is that it seems CBS/Paramount would love to make it the only timeline, if they could. I can definitely see it being a good setting for action-packed RPG adventures.

And I love the stats your posting. I can't wait for Scotty - I'm very fond of the actor playing him in the reboot, although I see him piloting a TARDIS ! And I also can't wait to see Spock.

I love Vulcans. Probably 60% of my characters are Vulcans. I just ran up two new Vulcan characters this past week - one a Betazoid/Vulcan hybrid forensic scientist.

And GURPS is a lot of work
    boy is it. for the GM. The players just sit back and go "duh... I don't know the rules" and make you jump through hoops like a maniac.

I guess what puts me off to it is that it seems CBS/Paramount would love to make it the only timeline, if they could.
    I am bugged by it being movies instead of a new show. I like my weekly Trek on tv. I'm also bugged by it being put on by a guy who starts off by saying "what can we learn from Star Wars?"

And I love the stats your posting. I can't wait for Scotty... I also can't wait to see Spock.
    Scotty is going to have a lot of professional abilities. His strong suit is going to basically be summed up as "it's crunch time. lives hang in the balance. If I don't make *this* skill check in *this* amount of time, the ship is done"... his skills are going to be all right. It's mainly going to be special abilities.

Spock, like Kirk, is going to be an 18 advancement "series regular". I'm using the official Narrator's Guide as a guide mainly.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 12-14-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Montgomery “Scotty” Scott

- Attributes: Agl 7 (0), Int 10* (+2), Per 8* (+1), Prs 8 (+1), Str 8 (+1), Vit 6 (0)
    - Reactions: Quick +1, Savv +1, Stam +1*, Will +2

- Courage: 4, Defense: 7

- Species Skills (20 total): Culture (human) +6, Federation Standard +6, History (Scotland) +2, Specific World (Earth) +6
    - Primary Skills: Physical Science +6, Propulsion Engineering (warp drive) +6, System Engineering +6
    - Secondary Skills: Repair +5, System Operation (transporter) +4
    - Other Skills: Brawling +2, Computer Use +2, Construct +2, Energy Weapons +1, Structural Engineering +3, Survival +2

- Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+2 Stamina), The Human Spirit, Skilled
    - Professional Abilities: Double Your Estimate, Engineering Certification, Engineering Expertise (system engineering), Intrepid, Miracle Worker (propulsion engineering), Station Proficiency, Starship Duty (engineer)

- Edges: Command (chief engineer, USS Enterprise), Innovative, Promotion 3 (Lt. Commander), Suit Trained, Thinker
    - Flaws: Proud
    - Health: 7

- Renown 5 (saved the Enterprise during the final battle with Nero with Captain Kirk +6, traded for Command)
    - Advancements 9

notes...

Scotty! When you absolutely have to have warp speed in 3 minutes or you're all dead. He's very similar to his prime counterpart. This Scotty is less "feisty and loyal" and more "sarcastic and disgruntled", but that's just role playing really. Scotty in the 2009 film is charming in an Archie Bunker kind of way. I see him as a genius who doesn't know when to shut up (hence the proud flaw).
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Scotty looks great. I'd say you nailed it on all the characters you've posted so far.

On the forum for the Cubicle 7 Doctor Who RPG people can give other people "karma" - if we could do that here I'd give you several points for your decision to give a relatively young character like Abrams-verse Spock 18 advances.

And I know Tamanny, our GM, would agree with you - the GM does all the work in a GURPS campaign.

I'd say you nailed it on all the characters you've posted so far.
    good! thanks. Next is going to be Uhura; she'll be similar to the prime version, but with less charisma and more linguistics skills.

Everyone remembers her in Undiscovered Country not even being able to speak Klingon. Now I guess she's a super language expert or something.

Nyota Uhura

Nyota Uhura

- Attributes: Agl* 7 (0), Int* 10 (+2), Per 10 (+2), Prs 9 (+1), Str 5 (0), Vit 6 (0)
    - Reactions: Quick +2, Savv +2, Stam* +1, Will +2

- Species Skills (20 total): Culture (human) +6, Federation Standard +6, History (African) +2, Specific World (Earth) +4, Swahili +2
    - Primary Skills: Computer Use (retrieve) +6, System Operation (communications) +6
    - Secondary Skills: Social Science (Xeno-linguistics) +5, System Engineering (main computer) +4
    - Other Skills: Athletics (running) +3, Energy Weapons +2, First Aid +1, Influence +1, Klingon +2, Observe (listen) +2, Repair +3, Romulan +2, Self Defense +2, Sing +1, Survival +1, Tholian +2, Vulcan +2

- Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+2 Savvy), The Human Spirit, Skilled
    - Professional Abilities: Duty Officer, Eyes on the Board, Infinite Diversity, Rounded (Social Science), Starship Duty (operations), System Technician

- Edges: Command (chief communications officer), Natural Translator, Promotion 2 (Lt.)
    - Flaws: Arrogant
    - Health: 6

- Renown 4 (skill proved vital during Vulcan crisis +5, traded for Command)
    - Advancements 9

design notes...

Uhura ends up being a nice hybrid of the original and the new one. I made her a free spirit and a representative of the kind of open minded people Starfleet is supposed to employ... but I also gave her a princess mentality. I think the new Uhura is a more dynamic character, but the original is maybe more charming. Anyway there are nods here and there to the original Uhura being a pupil of Spock; her computers skill and ability to repair the communications console. She's not someone you bring with you to a hostile planet, but she's pretty good sitting at her post.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Bones

Doctor Leonard H. “Bones” McCoy

- Attributes: Agl 6 (0), Int 8 (+1), Per 7 (0), Prs 10 (+2), Str 6 (0), Vit 7 (0)
    - Reactions: Quick +0, Savv +2, Stam +2*, Will +1

- Species Skills (16 total): Culture (human) +6, Federation Standard +6, Specific World (Earth) +4
    - Primary Skills: First Aid +6, Medicine (general) +6
    - Secondary Skills: Life Science (biology) +5, System Operation (medical) +4
    - Other Skills: Athletics +1, Computer Use (retrieve) +3, Energy Weapons +1, Influence (fast talk) +2, Inquire +2, Investigate +1, Repair +1, Survival +1

- Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+2 Savvy), The Human Spirit, Skilled
    - Professional Abilities: Emergency Response, General Medicine, Intrepid, Starship Duty (doctor), Diagnosis, Immunization

- Edges: Command (chief medical officer), Compassionate (+1 First Aid/Medicine), Promotion 3 (Lt. Commander)
    - Flaws: Pacifist
    - Health: 7

- Renown 4 (skill proved vital during Vulcan crisis +5, traded for Command)
    - Advancements 9

design notes...

A couple of things... one thing you should notice is the "Ignore Those Blasted Machines" ability. It's great for the original McCoy (or the "real" McCoy if you like puns). For the new one? No not really. The 09 McCoy didn't mind technology. He hated space travel, but otherwise? He doesn't show any indication of technophobia. Otherwise it's a pretty standard Bones.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Nicely done, Baron. Great work!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Nicely done, Baron. Great work!
    thanks! One more to go...

Spock

Mr. Spock

- Attributes: Agl 8 (+1), Int 13* (+3), Per 10 (+2), Prs 7 (0), Str 12 (+3), Vit 10* (+2), Psi 4 (0)
    - Reactions: Quick +2, Savv +4, Stam +4*, Will +4

- Courage: 4, Defense: 8

- Species Skills (26 total): Culture (Vulcan) +4, Federation Standard +6, History (Vulcan) +4, Religion (Vulcan) +2, Specific World (Vulcan) +4, Vulcan +6
    - Primary Skills: Computer Use (retrieve) +6, Physical Sciences (mathematics, physics) +6, System Operation (sensors) +6
    - Secondary Skills: Investigate (deduce) +4, Mind Meld +4, Space Science (astronomy) +4, System Engineering (main computer) +4, Vulcan Martial Arts +4
    - Other Skills: Administration (Starfleet) +1, Athletics +2, Energy Weapons +2, Life Science (genetics) +3, Persuade +3, Propulsion Engineering +1, Repair +2, Survival +2, Vulcan Harp +1

- Racial Abilities: Enhanced Rapid Healing, Mind Meld, Nerve Pinch
    - Professional Abilities: Infinite Diversity, Intrepid, Journeyman, Rounded (persuade), Scientific Protocols, Starship Duty (science), Theorize

- Edges: Command (chief science officer, USS Enterprise), Commendation 2, Curious, Exceptional Concentration, Keen Hearing, Kolinahr, Promotion 4 (commander), Psionic, Thinker, Unyielding
    - Flaws: Dark Secret (struggles with human emotions), Pacifist 3
    - Health: 13

- Renown 14 (rescue of Vulcan elders during destruction of Vulcan +8, exemplary bravery during defeat of Nero with Captain Kirk +8. Traded for Commendation 2)
    - Advancements 18

design notes...

Pretty much the same character as his prime counterpart... just a little streamlined to fit the 18 advancement series regular benchmark in the NG. He's your right hand man when it comes to working with the computer or the sensors. He's also quite good at aiding with repairs. He's all over the place with science expertise of course, but Spock's main thing is extended academic tests. With a little courage and some time, Spock can do basically anything.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.

next step is to test these builds. I'm going to use a Klingon K'Tinga class ship to simulate a Klingon "Warbird" (they only mention them during the Kobiashi Maru test and show what looks to be something very comparable). I'll probably post some synopsis of what went down. Using the entire main cast just sounds too much fun.