Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek (2009) characters & ships...

Test results

Well the test is done finally and went pretty well.

The Klingons tried to get the drop on the Enterprise, but Mr Spock managed to spot them. Kirk did a good job of staying on top of the enemy tactics enough to gain a couple superior successes early on. He and Sulu even got them to miss in round 1 after a hard about. The Enterprise and the warbird went into slugfest mode with Scotty providing the edge in keeping the shields up (at the expense of Ops). During the fight, Chekov caught the business end of a console shorting out and had to remain stunned for a round.

What really was a lucky break though was when Enterprise finally punched through the shields and managed to knock the warbird's weapons offline. The Klingons tried to close in for ramming speed, but Kirk wisely handed the ball to Sulu who (with his Capable ability) pounded the Klingons until he knocked their Ops offline and reduced them to 5 hull. Enterprise survived with 30% shields and no hull damage.

Very happy with the test. Pretty much felt like the crew could do no wrong.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    That sounds like a great night of gaming !

It sounds like your group had a terrific time playing Kirk and Company. And I'd love to read more of their adventures.

Of course having Scotty really helped. I could have tried to keep the shields up on the Klingon's side, but it seemed more appropriate to let the PCs and not the bad guys have that advantage. I thought it was fun.

I think next I might test an away team mission. Maybe even try to adapt a classic episode as a one shot adventure. (the IDW comics are doing the same thing)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
    I think next I might test an away team mission. Maybe even try to adapt a classic episode as a one shot adventure. (the IDW comics are doing the same thing)
    I vote for Devil in the Dark, or Doomsday Machine. We've used both as TNG-era eps. And they worked really well. They're also pretty high on my list of favorite TOS episodes.

I was thinking "Arena" or "Friday's Child" myself. There are a lot of episodes that can be good adventures. I used to mine TOS for adventures when I did my homebrewed GURPS game. I used "A Taste of Armageddon", "Enemy Within", "the Galileo Seven", "Where No Man Has Gone Before", and others.

Klingon Officer

Here's a standard Klingon Warbird I'm using...

Klingon “Warbird”

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: Klingon Empire
    Class and Type: Warbird Class Battle Cruiser
    Year Launched: 2250's

HULL DATA

Structure: 35 [5]
    Size/Decks: 6/20 Decks
    Length/Height/Beam: unknown
    Compliment: 347

OPERATIONAL DATA

Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency [6]
    Cargo Units: 60 space
    Shuttle Bay: 1 A [2]
    Shuttlecraft: 6 Size Worth
    Tractor Beams: 2 [1]
    Separation System: No
    Sensor System: Class 2 (C) [2]
    Cloaking Device: Class 2 (Rating 18) [7]
    Operations Systems: Class 3 (D) [6]
    Life Support: Class 3 (D) [6]

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: Type 3a (C) [4]
    Warp System: Type 5a (D) [7]

TACTICAL DATA

Disruptor Arrays: Type 8 x2 (B) [10]
    Penetration (4/4/4/0/0)
    Photon Torpedoes: Type 6 (A) [5]
    Penetration (3/3/3/3/3)
    Deflector Shields: Class 2a (B) [8]
    Protection/Threshold (13/3)

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Maneuver Modifiers: +1C, +0H, +4T
    Traits: Battle Tested [5]

design notes...

Basically I made the Klingon officer as what you would expect. He tends to his station, he can brawl with you, but he isn't terribly bright. The Klingon ship is built to be a simple, straightforward battle ship. It's good at locking on, closing, matching speed, and pounding an enemy ship into dust with very heavy weapons.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 09:00 PM.

equipment

notes here and there about equipment found in the JJ-verse.

Communicators: unchanged from the player's guide write up for 23rd century communicators. 300km or 26K km when boosted by a transceiver.

EVA Suits: Same stats, but may also be equipped with a parachute for space jumps.

Tricorders: though unseen in the 2009 film (WTF, really?), Tricorders should function as normal. Unless JJ comes out and finally says "no, Starfleet no longer explores anything", I'm going to assume there are tricorders.

Medical Equipment: No change.

Phasers & Disruptors: Now come in only two settings; "stun" is the equivalent of setting 3 and "kill" comes out to be equal to setting 7. Phasers are dangerous and shouldn't be downplayed. Disruptors typically only come in the "kill" setting. Hand Phasers & Disruptors have 300 charges.

Romulan Trident: a bladed melee weapon used throughout the film that can collapse into a short staff. Equal to a sword in stats. +0 parry modifier, 2d6+3 damage.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-26-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Great stuff, Stevie. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Oh for sure. Stay tuned for some more tests. Might throw an away team mission together. Also currently in the middle of writing an adventure. (Long time DM/GM, but I've never tried to write an adventure before)

yeah, Monday I should start having enough time finally to tend to this. The other "Abrams-verse" thread has also given me a bit of a boost in enthusiasm. Look for a quick and dirty test. I'm currently working on writing an adventure too; an original plot that I hope capture both the feel of the original show and the Abrams reboot.

I kind of want to prove it can be done. A lot of people roll their eyes about the Abrams reboot and just go "put explosions and lens flares in it"

Excellent thread. I'll be mining this for my own Abrams Trek game, no doubt.

Don't forget to shine a flashlight in the players' eyes to simulate the lens-flares on the bridge...

Don't forget to shine a flashlight in the players' eyes to simulate the lens-flares on the bridge...
    yeah and only allow apple products at the table to simulate the feel of the main bridge.

in all seriousness, am currently in the middle of writing that adventure. It looks good. I'm trying to write it as almost an open ended TV episode. Completely original plot. Meant for 2-5 players and set between the events of Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness (2013). I'm not very good at putting PDFs together. We'll see how this comes out.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-13-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Well, i'll be waiting for it with baited breath. My group, who wouldn't normally touch Trek with a barge pole are keen to play in the Abrams - verse due to the second movie coming out. let me know if I can do anything to help you out.

Interesting reading, this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
    notes here and there about equipment found in the JJ-verse.

Tricorders: though unseen in the 2009 film (WTF, really?), Tricorders should function as normal. Unless JJ comes out and finally says "no, Starfleet no longer explores anything", I'm going to assume there are tricorders.

Phasers & Disruptors: Now come in only two settings; "stun" is the equivalent of setting 3 and "kill" comes out to be equal to setting 7. Phasers are dangerous and shouldn't be downplayed. Disruptors typically only come in the "kill" setting.
    About the above quotes. I was sure Spock had a tricorder on him when he and Kirk boarded the Narada to rescue Pike. Must go back and watch the DVD again! lol

And as for the phasers, those two settings you chose for them makes them feel like how phasers played in the FASA RPG - deadly in a firefight!
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!