Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek (2009) characters & ships...

Star Trek (2009) characters & ships...

About to start testing CODA with some friends. Our Trek gaming experience is actually in GURPS where I home brewed an Abrams-verse campaign (I give the reboot a thumbs up overall, but I'm well aware of its short comings). I want to start a CODA game, but I need to be as comfortable with the rules as I can be. I've got the Player's Guide, the Starfleet Ops Manual, the Narrator's Guide, and the Screen. First thing's first; I'll go nuts if I don't have stats for the Enterprise and her crew.

So... what I plan to do is create builds for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the rest and advance them according to where the Narrator's Guide suggests regular series cast members should be at (equal to 18 advancements for "starring" characters and 9 advancements for those "also appearing"). Yes I realize that Kirk is supposed to not even be an academy graduate yet, but for the purposes of a series I want to put together a Kirk ready to start his historic "five year mission".

First thing's first; a lot is being made of the new Enterprise's size. It's not a big deal to me. Instead of making the new Enterprise some huge size, I'm just reading that scales of ships are different in the Abrams-verse (remember the Kelvin also has a crew of over 800). No big deal. Enterprise is still size 6.. it's just that size 6 means something different now.

I also include a house rule that I've discussed elsewhere on the boards where renown awards can be traded in for certain edges (Command, Commendation, Fame, Famous Event, and Promotion). Kirk, for example, gets a certain amount of renown for saving Captain Pike (not to mention Earth) during the confrontation with Nero and then after the adventure is over he actually trades that renown for a full promotion to captain, command of the Enterprise, commendations, and a famous event.

I'll start with posting the Enterprise herself. Stay tuned and feedback is welcome!

USS Enterprise

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701

"SPACE: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser
    Year Launched: 2258

HULL DATA

- Structure: 35 [5]
    - Size/Decks: 6/23 Decks
    - Length/Height/Beam: 760/190/340m
    - Compliment: 1100

OPERATIONAL DATA

- Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency [6]
    - Cargo Units: 65 space [5]
    - Shuttle Bay: 1 A [2]
    - Shuttlecraft: 6 Size Worth
    - Tractor Beams: 2 [1]
    - Separation System: Yes Emergency Only [2]
    - Sensor System: Class 3 (D) [3]
    - Operations Systems: Class 4 (E) [7]
    - Life Support: Class 4 (E) [7]

PROPULSION DATA

- Impulse System: Type 4 (D) [5]
    - Warp System: Type 5a (D) [7]

TACTICAL DATA

- Phaser Arrays: Type 3 x6 (B) [11]
    Penetration (4/4/4/0/0)
    - Photon Torpedoes: Type 3 (A) [3]
    Penetration (3/3/3/3/3)
    - Deflector Shields: Class 2a (B) [8]
    Protection/Threshold (13/3)

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

- Maneuver Modifiers: +4C, +0H, +2T
    - Traits: Flagship [5]

design notes...

Well here it is... my stats for the 2009 Star Trek rendition of the Enterprise. Again, ships seem to be generally bigger in the Abrams-verse.. it isn't just Enterprise. I realize that size 6 in the NG is between 300-399 as listed, but I'm ignoring it and simply using a different scale (One that I plan to detail later. For now, Enterprise is still a size 6). Bracketed numbers denote the cost of each feature installed in space. There are two main differences between this build and your standard TOS era Conny. For one there are more phasers. I can't tell if those phasers are any more or less powerful, but I can tell you... yeah... there are more of them. Secondly, this Enterprise is considered a flagship. This is plainly stated by Pike just before leaving Space dock. Everything else is equal to the original Constitution Class build presented in the Narrator's Guide. There's just a slight drop in structure points to make up for the extra edge.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Sounds like a lot of fun, Baron!

I also really enjoyed the Abrams version, though I too am aware of its shortcomings (I'm really hoping they will lose the lens flares in the second one!)

So are your players going to play Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc.?
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Captain Kirk

Captain James T. Kirk

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do... I only know what I *can* do."

Attributes: Agility 10 (+2), Intellect 8 (+1), Presence 12* (+3), Perception 7 (+0), Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 10* (+2) [20 picks]

Reactions: Quickness 1 (+3), Savvy 0 (+3), Stamina 1 (+3), Willpower 0* (+4)* [6]

Courage 6 [6], Defense 9, Health 11

Species Skills (16 total): Culture (human) 5 (+6), Federation Standard 6 (+7), Specific World (Earth) 5 (+6)

Skills: Administration (Starfleet) 4 (+5), Athletics 8 (+9*), Brawling 8 (+10*), Computer Use (retrieve) 2 (+3), Energy Weapons 5 (+7), History 2 (+3), Influence (charm) 3 (+6), Negotiate 4 (+5), Persuade 5 (+8), Repair 4 (+5), Streetwise 4 (+5), Survival 5 (+5), System Operation (command) 7 (+8), Tactics (space) 4 (+5) [38]

Combat Traits: Covering Fire, Double Tap, Flying Smash, Flying Tackle, Get the Drop, Hatchet Chop, Hammer Blow, Roundhouse, Snap Shot

Edges: Bold, Command 2 (captain of the Enterprise), Courageous, Famous Event 1 (father died saving the crew of the USS Kelvin), Promotion 5 (captain) [14]
    Flaws: Reckless

Racial Abilities: Adaptable, the Human Spirit, Skilled*

Professional Abilities: Commanding Presence, Fighting Captain, Spirit of the Fleet, Starship Duty (command), Universal Renown [9]

Advancements: 21 (105 picks)
    Renown: 7 (+1 famous event, +1/-1 modifier) [12]

design notes...

6/6/13 EDIT: Another look at Kirk scaled down and more reflective of the two movies out thus far. This Kirk is a "less is more" approach as far as Professional Abilities and Edges are concerned. Notice the emphasis on physical skills and courage use. Kirk is going to accomplish routine tasks with ease and handle himself well in a fist fight and has a decided edge when courage is needed. His will power is impressive as well. Kirk has a definate shtick; he's the guy you definitely want on your away team.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun, Baron!

I also really enjoyed the Abrams version, though I too am aware of its shortcomings (I'm really hoping they will lose the lens flares in the second one!)

So are your players going to play Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc.?
    first off, no it isn't the plan to play as Kirk and the rest. I presented that to them as an option back in GURPS (you bet I gave them stats in GURPS too). They'll make their own characters. I would flat out *love* to play a game with the new crew. I do plan on advancing them to "series ready" levels.

As far as the lens flares? I heard the rationale "the future has so much light, they can't contain it"... I get what they're going for. I just think it's lame that there wasn't any of that kind of optimistic humanism in the *script*. Kirk was hardly a representative of what's best in us. The Enterprise was hardly the sum of mankind's hopes for the future. Starfleet wasn't a challenge to mankind to do better. That was an action movie set in space with a guy who could have been Ferris Bueller.

I got nothing against Chris Pine though. I thought he did what he could with the part that was written and I actually really think he's perfect for playing a young Kirk (that's an enormous compliment). I just dare JJ Abrams to do better. He'll make his money. The movie was ridiculously entertaining. I just don't think it's Star Trek.

Mr. Sulu

Lt. Hikaru Sulu

"If you test me, you will fail."

Attributes: Agility 10* (+2), Intellect 8 (+1), Presence 8* (+1), Perception 10 (+2), Strength 6 (+0), Vitality 8 (+1) [0]

Reactions: Quickness 2 (+4*), Savvy 0 (+2), Stamina 1 (+2), Willpower 1 (+2) [8]

Courage 4, Defense 9, Health 7

Species Skills (16 total): Culture (human) 5 (+6), Federation Standard 6 (+7), Specific World (Earth) 5 (+6)

Skills: Administration 1 (+2), Athletics 3 (+3), Computer Use 2 (+3), Energy Weapons 2 (+4), Gymnastics 1 (+3), Fencing 4 (+6*), Life Sciences (botany) 1 (+2), Repair 2 (+3), Space Science (astrogation) 3 (+4), Starfleet Self Defense 3 (+5), System Engineering (helm) 2 (+3), System Operation (helm) 6 (+7) [2]

Combat Traits: Corps-a-Corps, Feint, Lunge, Point Strike, Throw

Edges: Command (chief Helmsman, USS Enterprise), Martial Artist, Promotion 2 (Lt.) [4]

Racial Abilities: Adaptable, the Human Spirit, Skilled*
    Professional Abilities: Atmospheric Craft, Capable, Intrepid, Starship Duty (flight control) [6]

Advancements: 4 (20 picks)

Renown: 0

design notes...

6/6/13 EDIT: To put Sulu together I thought about what Sulu was capable of vs what Sulu was good at and it came down to keeping his big skill (piloting) around a comfortable TN15 average and the rest of his abilities around TN10. Courage can bring that up by 5 or more when you're talking about professional skills, so Sulu is going to be good for something truly eye popping about once or twice per adventure. The rest of the time he's good for routine checks or, in the case of the helm, solid TN15 efforts.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.

You won't hear any yelling from me; your logic regarding Sulu is sound and pretty spot-on, I think.

While you're right that the film didn't carry that optimistic humanism vibe, it still felt a bit 'old skool' Trek to me, in that it had that adventurous, swashbukling feel of TOS. They'll likely get more chance to focus on characterization with the second film, since the first was so much about introducing everyone and establishing what these new characters were about.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

it still felt a bit 'old skool' Trek to me, in that it had that adventurous, swashbukling feel of TOS.
    yup. Consider "Journey to Babel". Specifically, remember Kirk fighting that Andorian assassin in the hallway? It's an episode about a father and a son and the federation in general. There's also a fight thrown in there where Kirk is throwing freaking jumpkicks in a knife fight like a lunatic. There is certainly a wild, swashbuckling element in Star Trek. Give them a budget with that kind of sensibility and you can say that JJ got a *lot* right with his movie.

Ensign Pavel Chekov

- Attributes: Agl 8 (+1), Int 12 (+3), Per 10* (+2), Prs 8 (+1), Str 6 (0), Vit 6* (0)
    - Reactions: Quick +2*, Savv +2, Stam +0, Will +3

- Defense: 8

- Species Skills (24 total): Culture (human) 5, Federation Standard 4, History (Russian) 4, Russian 6, Specific World (Earth) 5
    - Skills:

- Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+2 Stamina), The Human Spirit, Skilled
    - Professional Abilities: Astrogation, Starship Duty (flight control)

- Edges: none
    - Flaws: none
    - Health: 7

- Renown:

design notes...

Well this should be all you need for the basic manuevers in starship combat if you want to test my Abrams builds so far (the rest of the crew is coming, don't worry). This Chekov feels more like a Mary Sue-ish Wesley than the original Koenig article. Chekov prime was a goofy character and I absolutely adored Yelchin's performance and his assessment of who the character of Chekov was (his literal words were "he is the weirdest character ever"). Chekov and Sulu in starship combat tradeoff using their flight control skills. Sulu actually fires weapons and is a more reliable pilot, but Chekov is no slouch and can provide useful sensor information. He's also a fountain of technobabble with space science skills, tech skills, and physics. He's pretty much *the* go to guy for "let's give the audience the whacky trekked out explanation before someone else puts in layman's terms"
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-16-2013 at 11:34 PM.

I agree with your assessment about Checkov ... he tended to be the jack of all trades character, second or third in line best to do anything ... transporters, piloting, weapons, etc. heck even being the youngest, he got a girl here and there.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

I see the new Chekov as being kind of a Spock Jr. He's this bizarre little kid genius who can be a bit awkward, but he's whip smart. I thought he was very much the Wesley of the new Trek.

Should be seeing Scotty up next.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
    Lt. Hikaru Sulu

Sulu comes at us with a few stark differences. For one, and I know I'm going to get yelled at for this, the old Sulu was never supposed to be good with a sword. He fantasized about it. That was the entire point of that episode and yet everyone thinks Sulu could sword fight which is how this new Sulu ends up being freaking Jet Li in the new movies. Canonically, Sulu prime was a good martial artist and a great pilot with a hobby of collecting guns. The only time he ever picks a sword up and runs around with it is because of an alien that causes the ship's crew to act out. If you recall, the second Sulu snaps out of it he acts like he's never held a sword before. Anyway. The new Sulu is fun character with combat options and has that old dependability you'd expect. I noticed in the film they made a point to trust the ship to his abilities pretty often and I pretty much bought Cho's performance. I do wish they had gone with a younger actor though.
    Actually Sulu use a sword in the fight with the Klingons on the Enterprise in "Day of the Dove";& was quite good with it.

no more than scotty or any of the other crewmen aboard the Enterprise though. it's not Sulu's specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfOfBorg View Post
    I agree with your assessment about Checkov ... he tended to be the jack of all trades character, second or third in line best to do anything ... transporters, piloting, weapons, etc. heck even being the youngest, he got a girl here and there.

as a background note, Chekov was a drafted Science student from russias 'Star City' university, not an actual Starfleet trainee
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Holy thread necromancy! I tried really hard to use GURPS to make a Trek game, and can't get over how bad I just want to use the CODA space combat system. To heck with it. I'm just going to use CODA.

Where was I? Oh yeah... Scotty is next.