Thread: Newbie question: Mixed Species

Newbie question: Mixed Species

Hello everyone.

I don't know if this board is active at all, but I'll give it a try:

Am I the only one who sees a big problem with the attribute generation method for mixed species?

Building two sets and being allowed to pick 4+2 simply means you can (with point buy) max 4 and 2 stats and end up with unbalanced high stats:

SET 1
    10 +1 = 11
    9 +1 =10
    7 +3 =10
    7 +3 = 10

SET 2
    7 +3 = 10
    9 +3 = 12
    10 +2 =12

Picking the first 4 of Set 1 and filling up with the last 2 of Set 2 this sums at to:

12, 12, 11, 10, 10, 10.

Without(!) any species modifiers.

Any comments? Did I misunderstood something?

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDruid View Post
    Am I the only one who sees a big problem with the attribute generation method for mixed species?
    No.

Building two sets and being allowed to pick 4+2 simply means you can (with point buy) max 4 and 2 stats and end up with unbalanced high stats:

Any comments? Did I misunderstood something?
    You correctly noticed that CODA could've used a few more playtest cycles. : )
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Then I wonder why there hasn't been any change made in the errata.

Is there a common rule used by most people or is every GM dealing with this on his own?

IDK, creating one set and applying BOTH mods or something?

That does seem pretty crazy. I never realized this but haven't explored mixed species before, either.

I probably should have taken a better look, as I have a possible new player, and he's expressed interest in playing a mixed species character.

Doesn't it say something about exploring the weakness(es) of one (or both) of the races? That's certainly what we saw with Spock and Torres and something that I would think could be used to balance things out. Their stats might be phenomenal, but then they get a lot of cultural baggage with those great numbers.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

You may want to look at the first article in the last BtFF issue that was released. I attached it below. Patrick did a good job at correcting this problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    For my games, I simply house rule that you make/roll one set of attributes, applying four (or five, if the primary species is Psionic) attribute modifiers from the primary species and two attribute modifiers from the secondary species.

(Basically as Patrick detailed in BTFF, sans the edges.)
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thanks for re-posting this, guys. I'd seen it (briefly), but forgotten about it. As I have a possible new player interested in doing a mixed species character, this could really come in handy!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    You may want to look at the first article in the last BtFF issue that was released. I attached it below. Patrick did a good job at correcting this problem.
    Patrick did do a phenomenal job on that one. We've been using it ever since and also applied it to all of our mixed-species characters generated before the issue came out and it really made more sense.

I'd say my two main mixed species characters (Betazoid/Human & Vulcan/Human) play more like they would on a Star Trek TV series using Patrick's system.

Great issue BTW - can't wait for the next one.