Thread: Degrees of Success

Degrees of Success

I kind of feel like this is a crazy question to be asking this late into me playing this game (as our campaign is a few years old), but it's come up again as I prep for my session on Friday and I'd like to hear what you all think:

As I was preparing for my session by reading over all of the Psionic abilities, they all make reference to results that are either (a) marginal, (b) complete, or (c) extraordinary.

And if you look at the 'Degree of Success' chart on p. 104 in the PG those are the only possibilities.

0-4 above the TN is a MARGINAL SUCCESS
    5-9 above the TN is a COMPLETE SUCCESS
    10+ above the TN is an EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS

However, the way we've been doing things is the way shown on p. 81 of the NG (which is what we're used to from playing years of Lord of the Rings).

Neither chart seems to have been corrected in the various Errata, so which one is correct?
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

The Narrator's Guide was clarified as the proper DOS table - as it matches the LotR table and maintains consistancy within the CODA system.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

That's cool (and what I thought, as it's how we've been doing it). Thanks, Tomcat. Is it referenced anywhere in any of the official errata? Because I couldn't find it anywhere.

Also, how does one reconcile all of the psionic skills? They all clearly give only three results, rather than four (they eliminate superior successes). Do you just do hardly anything (almost no effect) from a Marginal Success (= the TN) and use the other three?
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

I thought I dealt with that when I was putting together the errata on my site, but I might be wrong. As I'm starting to kind of cycle back toward Trek gaming, I'll be looking over it again soonish.

In the meantime, Tomcat's right, use the table in the NG.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support