Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Plot using some Trek History

Crazy Plot using some Trek History

As I mentioned over on the 'Adventure Seeds' thread, I am sort of combining two old story ideas that were originally posted way back in 2001.

I want to give credit where it's due, so the first, called "Dangerous Find" (reply #12) was posted by Julius:

Title: 'Dangerous Find'
    Series Type: Exploration/Space Station
    Description: The PC's are contacted by a Ferengi ship which offers to sell them salvaged vessel. Questions as to the type are answered with an automated message piped over from the Ferengi ship. It's in ancient Andorian and is an automated call for help.

From there the PCs must acquire the ship (possibly with the help of the Andorian government) and then discover that it is a centuries old sleeper ship. Later as they investigate the ship they find that the passengers are dissidents, called 'Preservers' who have a record of the times during the Age of Lament. Information that could destabilize the peace Andoria has had for centuries. The Andorians having heard of the ship's recovery through Starfleet and knowing who it carries will send ships to take it into custody, and plan to destroy the records and wipe the minds of the crew. Unfortunately the crew of the sleeper ship ask for asylum, forcing the PCs to defend them from the Andorians.

The second one is called "The Ancient". It was posted by Aedh Rua (reply #20), and was among a number that were suggested for a Romulan crew:

Title: The Ancient
    Description: Our Heroes our patrolling the Neutral Zone when they come across a ship drifting in space. They check their computers to try to identify it, and find in some history/archaeology database that it is an old pre-Renunciation Vulcan sublight vessel.
    When they board it, having had their Romulan curiosity and sense of heritage piqued, they find that it is, naturally, a sleeper ship. Unlike in "Space Seed" all the passengers are dead save one. This one is revived, and in very archaic Vulcan identifies himself as T'lahr, a simple monk and priest of Ket-cheleb.
    Needless to say, things aren't nearly that simple. T'lahr, unlike Kahn, is not famous, but neither is he a simple monk. He is in fact an Ahkhinahru, which is to say a Vulcan mindlord, with more nasty psi skills than anyone Our Heroes have ever dealt with. He is not a worshipper of Ket-Cheleb, but is, in fact, a follower of some previously lost group of dark deities with a taste for green blood. His agenda will be to use his powers of persuasion, his psi skills, and his knowledge of the "true ancient heritage" to take control of the ship, and maybe the Empire. Good luck, dudes.

So here's my crazy idea for an amalgamation. I really liked both of these ideas, and really got excited when we got a new Captain for our crew who happened to be Andorian.

But then I realized that both of these dealt with the "sleeper ship" idea, and so I figured I've have to really space the episodes far apart to not be redundant.

The more I contemplated things, the more I figured I could combine them. Andoria and Vulcan are very close in proximity. So what if - way back when those Vulcans that didn't choose the way of logic (and some broke off to become the Romulan people) - one mystic-type made his way to Andoria and drew some followers among that great war-like people?

I realize that, ordinarily, Vulcans and Andorians don't really get along. But back before 'The Age of Lament', would it not be possible for a clan to rally behind a powerful psionic warrior?

The great roleplaying opportunity with this one will be seeing what the Captain does with these barbaric warriors from Andoria's past that could pose a threat to modern Andorian culture.

Can any of you that understand Trek's history far better than I add some details and flesh out some of the specifics, to help make this decision for the Captain tougher? (the one about allowing these 'Preservers' to potentially ruin the peace Andoria has known for centuries), all assuming they overcome the danger that this Vulcan and his Andorian warriors pose.

At first I want this Vulcan mystic to (very Khan-like) come across as a very peaceful, logical Vulcan. But all the while he'll be biding his time and doing what he can to ascertain the situation and evaluate the weaknesses of these silly peaceful Federation peons who are not worthy to lick his boots or touch his cloak. Think sort of a cross between Khan and Sybok.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

The obvious question for the players to ask is, "Why is there one Vulcan on a sleeper ship full of Andorians?" Clearly, he's not going to answer truthfully: "I'm an ancient Vulcan psychic warlord and these are my warrior minions." So how will he answer that question?
    Last edited by Sarge; 05-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Yeah, I expect that will be the obvious question that will have to be answered. T'Lahr will make up some bogus answer about how he traveled away from Vulcan because it was the logical thing to do, to spread his message and ideals, and how he brought peace to this keth/clan of Andorians.

I'm wondering what sort of specific information any of these Preservers could have that would be so deadly to the current Andorian culture that the Andorian government would be willing to mind-wipe them all?
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

What if this information is, precisely, the contact with the T'lahr ? (by the way I would have assumed that to be a female name, which could be also interesting, since players may have more trouble anticipating a warlord to be a woman)

For instance, T'Lahr could have arrived during the Age of Lament and attempted to rally all clans under his rule. Then Lor'Vela, one of his followers, managed to overthrow him and establish the peace history recorded. T'Lahr fled with some of his still faithful followers to try finding another world to settle on.

Would the news that Lor'Vela rewrote history to remove the mention of T'Lahr and basically used him to unite the Andorians be enough of a threat to Andorian peace (not to mention Andorian-Vulcan peace) ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

That's outstanding, C5! I really like this, and plan on using it! I'll probably keep him a male, though I do agree that could really throw them for a loop.

The idea of having Lor'Vela be one of his followers is absolutely brilliant!!!

Thanks so much for helping out!
    Doug Taylor

Why would Lor'Vela want to erase T'Lahr from history?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

To take all the credit for himself, and not have this ugly bit of history known.

That it was T'Lahr that did much of the unification of the disparate clans, rather than Lor'Vela.
    Doug Taylor

You know, T'Lahr would clearly be a female name. I'm thinking of either changing the name or changing the character to female.
    Doug Taylor

Here's another possibility: T'Lahr transformed/disguised herself (like Garth of Izar) into an Andorian. She used her powers to unite Andor and bring a kind of iron-fisted peace, ruling with the assumed name Lor'Vela. But she and her minions were overthrown in a mostly bloodless coup and exiled in a sleeper ship. The new Andorian government created the myth of Lor'Vela to keep Andorians at peace.

Now the PCs have revived Lor'Vela, who is not Andorian, not peaceful, and nothing like the mythical figure revered by all Andorians. And with mad psi skillz to boot. That would rock Andorian society to its roots.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

@Sarge I like your idea. But, why not T'Lahr be a Aenar?
    Hodor !

I like the idea, Sarge! Unfortunately I'm just about done with most of the adventure. Here's the summary I've done so far (note that I've changed his name to Tolaris).

“Dangerous Find”

Starfleet contacts the Nez Perce and informs them that they have a mission to be done for the Andorian government. A rendezvous needs to be made with a Ferengi ship which supposedly has a salvaged vessel for sale.

When contact is made, the Ferengi respond with an automated message. It's in ancient Andorian and is an automated call for help. The Ferengi do not wish to discuss the matter, but will turn over an ancient sleeper ship if they are given their asking price (five bars of gold-pressed latinum).

There are no markings, but the PCs may discover that it is centuries old. To find out specific information, it will require a TN 20 Appraise (Starship) or Culture: History (Andoria).

Anyone who investigates the ship will find one Vulcan male and eight Andorians (seven males and one female). Once awakened (which will happen due to the nanites if the PCs do not do so) the Vulcan will explain (in ancient Vulcan) that he is Tolaris, a simple monk and priest of Ket-Cheleb. He will explain that he is an ancient Vulcan Adept who traveled to Andoria many years ago to spread his message of peace and enlightenment. While there he rallied a war-like people to end their vicious revenge-driven system of clan hatred. His eight followers are dissidents called ‘Preservers’ who have a record of the times during the Age of Lament. They know the truth, that originally it was Tolaris who unified the Andorian people.

There is more to the story, however. Tolaris is in actuality an Ahkhinahru, a Vulcan mind lord with deadly psionic abilities. Once he unified Andoria he grew hungry for more and more power. One of his followers named Lor’Vela managed to overthrow him and establish the peace history recorded. Tolaris fled with some of his faithful followers to find another world to settle on.

This information, that it was actually a Vulcan that united the warring clans and introduced the Code that is now followed, could destabilize the peace Andoria has had for centuries. It also reveals that the first contact between Andorians and Vulcans happened centuries before previously believed The Andorian government will send ships to meet the Nez Perce after it has left the Neutral Zone. They plan to take the ship into custody, destroy the records, and wipe the minds of the crew in order to preserve the history that Lor’Vela was the one who united the clans and brought peace to Andoria.

Tolaris and his followers will attempt to take over the Nez Perce. If that fails, they will ask for asylum on the ship, forcing the PCs to make a hard choice on whether or not to turn them over to the Andorians.

Here's what I've written for a backstory for Tolaris (he'll be played by an out-of-town guest):

Tolaris’ Backstory

At first he should come across as a very peaceful, logical Vulcan. But all the while (Khan-like) he'll be biding his time and doing what he can to ascertain the situation and evaluate the weaknesses of these silly peaceful Federation peons who are not worthy to lick his boots or touch his cloak. Think sort of a cross between Khan and Sybok.

The obvious question they're going to have is why is a Vulcan aboard an Andorian sleeper ship with a bunch of Andorians?

He will explain (in ancient Vulcan) that he is Tolaris, a simple monk and priest of Ket-Cheleb. He will explain that he is an ancient Vulcan Adept who traveled to Andoria many years ago to spread his message of peace and enlightenment. While there he rallied a war-like people to end their vicious revenge-driven system of clan hatred. His eight followers are dissidents called ‘Preservers’ who have a record of the times during the Age of Lament. They know the truth, that originally it was Tolaris who unified the Andorian people.

There is more to the story, however. Tolaris is in actuality an Ahkhinahru, a Vulcan mind lord with deadly psionic abilities. Once he unified Andoria he grew hungry for more and more power. One of his followers named Lor’Vela managed to overthrow him and establish the peace history recorded. Tolaris fled with some of his faithful followers to find another world to settle on.

He is emotional, but will not show it until he drops the pretenses.

Thanks again so much for the help, all!
    Doug Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by skree View Post
    @Sarge I like your idea. But, why not T'Lahr be a Aenar?
    I tend to ignore the Aenar because Among the Clans was published before they were created.

Your question triggered another idea: what if the Aenar are descended from T'Lahr? Genetic research might reveal previously unnoticed similarities between Aenar and Vulcan DNA.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

I'm glad I could be of help Doug. Though I must say I like Sarge's idea even more. The idea that Lor'Vela is just a myth and that Andorian unification was just an enslavement under a bloodthirsty warlord is really something that could shatter Andoria's peace.

And now I have to stop trying to imagine such a plot with Surak and Vulcan instead of Lor'Vela and Andore
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    And now I have to stop trying to imagine such a plot with Surak and Vulcan instead of Lor'Vela and Andore
    Ooooh, I lke that idea! Let's play with it!
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Just as a side note (I really dig most of the ideas I've seen here), Lor'Vela is a woman. In case it comes up in conversation.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support