Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-Emitting Holoemitter?!

Question Self-Emitting Holoemitter?!

Well today I thought how to make a Hologram mobile without copying the Doc's Mobile Emitter. Then I thought why not create a holographic holo-emittter which can hold itself and a hologram. Does anybody think this is possible, as a "small brother of the self-replicating mine"?

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

Arrow

A "holographic holo-emitter"???

A device that emits photonics and forcefields ... is itself made out of photonics and forcefields???

Okay. But what's going to emit a holographic holo-emitter? You're going to need hardware somewhere along the line.

If I miss the point, please elaborate.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

No, I think he suggested that the holo-emitter be emitting something that holds it so that it becomes mobile but I must say that the answer would probably be no, it would have to be directly wired to an EPS tap and have access to a holophysical processing unit which the computer is probably largely responsible for at this time.

There is a way you actually could make a holo unit if you base it on Red Dwarf. The holo projecter is a small device that is inside of the hologram by doing that it could move with the hologram. By knowing that you could take a Remote Drone from the Price of Freedom Book which has miniature holographic equipment which can mask the drone or project a holographic image of the image of the user within 4 meters of the drone. It however dosent have force field manipulators or equipment to make holographic matter. But you could install them on the unit but would have to downgrade the operational time of the unit from 100 hours to half or even less. The drone is only a 25cm in diameter sphere so it could covered by the hologram in question just like the one on Red Dwarf.

My idea was basiclky to create a holographic holoemitter with an energy source on the holodeck and then let it hold itself stable and perhaps even holding another hologram. The energy source could be a holographic energy cell. But I guess that would be something lake a perpetuum mobile.

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

You might be able to do it this way it won't be totaly holographic however. Take a small power source like a powercell from a phaser or something a bit larger. Then go to the holodeck and design the system around the powercell then have it run off of the power from the cell that might work. But being able to do could open a can of worms. Think about if the system did work all you would need is a warp core then design a holographic ship around it or possibly a holographic planet.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

yesbut even then, the system could not be based on a powercell alone...

Its all well and good to make a holographic holo-emmitter that project holograms, but once outside of an environment that projects the intial holo-emitter then that holographic emitter ceases to exist and thus any projection made by it would go too...

At least thats how I see it anyways...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"
    http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

I had a prototype ship in my FASA Next Gen trek game that was a series of holographic force fields surrounding the engine room/bridge combo. It seemed like a good idea at the time, completely reconfigurable for every situation with a simple switch of a setting. Need a cargo transport, create some holographic strap on pods. Need a battleship, add some holographic phasers. Simple, easy, and direct. Refitting would be a breeze, just update the files. Repair would be deleting the old section and recreating it from scratch.

Of cource, Treknology is notoriously unstable (Exploding Consoles of Doom (tm)), and with all the episodes featuring the Holodeck malfunctioning, I don't think the project would be feasable until the 29th century.

I like the idea of a modification of the probe. Create the hologram around the probe, give it better batteries to last longer, and go from there. I personally, don't see where a holographic holoemitter would make it outside a holodeck, like Dan said.

Alex

You'd need one hell of a safety-interlock system to prevent someone from ending the world by saying "Computer: Delete Planet..."

Ok, so it has one minor law or so thats big enough to fly a rubiks cube of Borg Cubes thru

I had a rather interesting idea for a holo-emitter: a small (10 cm diameter) sphere equipped an advanced holographic emitter with resides inside the projection.

Essentially, one programs the sphere with the appropriate file, activates it, and the projection forms around the sphere.

This was originally designed for an alien race I created that used them as a defense. They programmed the spheres with some hideous monster and, like a grenade, activated them with a short delay and lobbed them at their foes. Considering the lack of safety protocols, the holographic "monsters" were certainly capable of killing the aliens' enemies.

What do you think?

mactavish out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mactavish:
    I had a rather interesting idea for a holo-emitter: a small (10 cm diameter) sphere equipped an advanced holographic emitter with resides inside the projection.

Essentially, one programs the sphere with the appropriate file, activates it, and the projection forms around the sphere.

This was originally designed for an alien race I created that used them as a defense. They programmed the spheres with some hideous monster and, like a grenade, activated them with a short delay and lobbed them at their foes. Considering the lack of safety protocols, the holographic "monsters" were certainly capable of killing the aliens' enemies.

What do you think?

mactavish out.
    </font>
    Actually that should work but I would also intergrate a bit of tricorder tech so that you could mask its true form. Which would mean if you wanted the sphere to register human you could or any other lifeform. Which would also open up the possiblities of using the sphere for espionage. Example someones trying to kill you, simple fake your death then use one of these little spheres to draw them out with it looking like you.

mactavish, I think that that is a good idea. It's different from just "They shoot it with their cool ray guns." I like Ken's idea too.

Thanks guys.

Alex

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mactavish:
    I had a rather interesting idea for a holo-emitter: a small (10 cm diameter) sphere equipped an advanced holographic emitter with resides inside the projection.</font>
    Essentially, you're looking for a mobile emitter with a radial projection rather than an axial one, though we've been shown the Doctor's emitter CAN be encompassed within his own projection (i.e. up his sleeve, on the top of his boot, etc.).

It also reminds me of the probe from TNG 'Arsenal of Freedom,' which was a clunky episode, but had some nice ideas in it.

Bob

The other thing to remember with holograms is that the range is limited by the holo-emitter.

I had a couple of ideas for holotechnology for intelligence work a few years back, one of which matched an idea that appeared in an episode of DS9, in use by the Dominion.

Holo-troops.
    Only really useful at close range or as a distraction, several holographic security officers appear and take a defensive position.

Unfortunatly their Phasers only had a range of 20m in line with the extent of the holo-emitter...

This was pretty much the same thing used by the Jem'Hadar in the siege of AR-558

Then there was Holo-Bombs
    A Tri-corder attached to a holo-emitter allows a holographic representation of a bomb to be created.

This can only be used as a distraction, unless it can be placed with a secondary explosion source within the emitters range. However it does have one major advantage in intel work.

No real explosive or weapons and so easy to sneak past those sensors... And Tricorders are easy to come by in the trek universe.

Any input?

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"
    http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk