Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self-Emitting Holoemitter?!

Actually, the power source inside a hologram is a good idea, only add to it a powerful immiter. Take the core out of a runabout (with its M/AM tanks, and all that stuff) and slap an immiter on it. Then, if you need a ship/habitat/station, there it is. Just program in a few safe guards -ie: saying end program on a file search and watching the ship go bye-bye- also that the ship be runabout sized or bigger, to about galaxy (or what ever the immiter can handle).

Doesn't one of the books (Player's Guide?) contain a 25 cm spherical 'probe' used for surveying potentially hostile environments that is capable of making itself invisible using holography?

Wouldn't a holographic drone just be a 'tinkered with' version of one of these? Take out the 1-liter sample-gathering area and replace it with more memory and a mini forcefield generator...

Smile

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by First of Two:
    Doesn't one of the books (Player's Guide?) contain a 25 cm spherical 'probe' used for surveying potentially hostile environments that is capable of making itself invisible using holography?...</font>
    Yes, there is its called a remote drone or a guard drone.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by First of Two:
    Wouldn't a holographic drone just be a 'tinkered with' version of one of these? Take out the 1-liter sample-gathering area and replace it with more memory and a mini forcefield generator...</font>
    Aye, it could. Once you've modified the drone, the drone itself would be in the center of the hologram.Possibly overtime you could make the unit even smaller by trial and error.

Re. Mobile Holo-Emitters

Wasn't there a ST:tNG episode in which a
    sentient holographic character was downloaded
    into a self-contained "virtual world," which
    (as far as the hologram was concerned) was
    indistinguishable from existence on a
    holodeck, but didn't involve any actual
    projection.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe
    this "virtual holodeck" was about the size of
    a small briefcase -- something a person could
    pick up and carry around quite easily -- and
    it contained the programs for *both* the
    holographic character *and* his environment.

Surely, a "stripped down" module, for *just*
    a holographic character, would be at least
    slightly smaller -- perhaps not quite as
    compact and elegant as the matchbox-sized
    holo-emitted from the 29th century, but
    good enough...

The episode is "Ship in a Bottle" its where the enterprise crew out fox's Moriarty by using a holo-gram in a holo-program then they ended the program which put Moriarty and the Countess in the device. The device they put him in was a independent computer system roughly the size of a briefcase.

Yes good idea with the this "small holodeck" I remember this episode, thank you I think that's it.

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

Question

Hum ... does this imply that holo-emitters and force fields can really duplicate a working computer, or only the appearance (sight, touch, etc...) and effects of it? That is, can the projected computer really compute, or is it only possible to get the real processing done by the holodeck's computers and simply presented on the projected computer's screen?

And I think dream is a good example of that. A holodeck can generate a past-life of memories in a flash for a character, either as it goes or by template, so running a simulation to allow a holocharacter's conciousness to experience it wouldn't be that difficult.

It's when you decide to emit them holographically that you have to deal with Real-World Interfaces (not a Dr. Who reference ) Resolution, replication, collision detection, etc.

The computer in question was a normal briefcase sized computer that has nothing to do with generating holograms of any sort. The independent system is holding the computer-generated consciousness of Moriarty and is generating a computer generated enviroment so that he thinks that he is actualy living in the normal world. So basicly you could say is that he's just living a dream that go on forever which is one huge program.