Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek: The Kazon Crucible

One of the 'post voyager' concepts tapping around my brain was that of the Delta Federation... A loose conglomerate of worlds and allies along a long corridor of space all of whom were influenced by Voyager. There seemed to be a fair amount of potential, ironically enough stemming from 'Ambassador' Neeliix who was clearly left behind with Federation tech and training and from the Pathfinder project.

Such member worlds might include Talaxians, post-phage Viidians, the Borg Cooperative to name just the first three of the top of my head, also seems to me that a number of the very minor species might also be inclined toward this ideal too and I never got around to detailing the minutae. Ocampa may well also end up on the list as the Delta Federation would be likely to encompass the planet once the idea had spread that far.

Of course this alliance might not be quite as 'enlightened' as the UFP and while meaning well might sometimes get things wrong. Could make for an interesting adversary in a Delta Quadrant game and enable a few curve-ball throws at players who think they know what to expect!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

More idea notes:

I see the Kazon Sects as having stemmed from a religious/philosophical leader from before the Trabe Enslavement. (Captivity, if you will.) Let's call him Kaz (kay-z) for now. Kaz had a number of followers. lieutenants and disciples and after he was gone, there was serious disagreement over which one should continue to lead the movement. Sort of like the Shia/Sunni rift happening among the Twelve Apostles. Only better armed. The original Sect leaders had names like Og (oh-g), Nhist, Relor, Pom, Hob (Hoh-b) etc. The exact nature of their philosophical messages and differences has become irrelevant. The Sects long ago solidified into armed militias based on intra-Kazon ethnicities, economic specializations, and territorial inclinations.
    The Ogla at one time seemed likely to finally reunite all the Kazon people under one authority. Under a dynamic and aggressive First Maje, they were poised to finally overwhelm all the other contenders. The Trabe, of course, did not want to see their Kazon enemies unified and an elaborate "black op" was carried out. A wedge was driven between the First Maje and his closest lieutenant and friend by a sultry Trabe dancing girl. With a whisper in the ear here, and an illicit rendezvous there--along with a few assassinations of less senior leaders, the slave girl managed to put the top two Ogla warriors at each others' throats. The Ogla split with a sizable portion following the break away commander and that splinter group formed the Ogla-Mar (which loosely translates to something like "the True Ogla").
    The Ogla and the Ogla Mar have been bitter enemies and rivals ever since. However, to the surprise and dismay of other Sects that would move against them, the two rivals will still reunite to fight off attacks from other Sects. It's a "nobody kills my enemy but me" sort of situation.

The other "blood enemy" of the Ogla are the Relora. That feud started after the split so the Ogla Mar may not like the Relora, and may join their relatives and former comrades in the Ogla against them, but the Ogla Mar don't see the Relora as enemies of their own Sect. Kind of, "I don't have anything against you, but if you attack my brother I'll have to beat you. By the way, I couldn't agree more that my brother is an idiot and a knave and deserves a severe thrashing. but...he's my brother, y'know?"

I'll have to go back and check the Equinox episode where they are mentioned, but I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that the Krowtonan Guard are not really a species but are actually more like the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones. They are a multi-species military order whose primary sworn duty is to keep the diseased Vidiians away from other species and vice versa. Sort a Quarantine guard trying to prevent The Phage from spreading to other areas. They attack anything or anyone trying to move through their cordon into or out of Vidiian space. Which causes the Vidiians to have to look out toward Free Space toward the Kazon for organ harvesting missions, or resort to extreme stealth to get by the Krowtonan.

I remember seeing the Delta Federation idea elsewhere. Kind of nifty, especially if you want to run a Starfleet style game with all those new Delta Quadrant species.

I see any such grouping being significantly in the future from the campaign setting that I'm trying to but together, but could easily develop out of the events I'm working toward. Who knows, maybe the Kazon and the Haakonians and the cured Vidiians will someday have their own Camp Khitomer type accords. Or perhaps a lovely Nimbus III style "Planet of Galactic Peace!"

[Worried farmer looks up from arid Oblissan cabbage patch, stares in fear, waving a jury-rigged gun in trembling hands.
    "You...you're a Hirogen!"
    Hirogen sweeps off his helmet and laughs.
    "Indeed I am! Now, let's talk about your...pain." slowly takes out a trophy-skinning knife.]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheliak Bob View Post
    I'll have to go back and check the Equinox episode where they are mentioned, but I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that the Krowtonan Guard are not really a species but are actually more like the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones. They are a multi-species military order whose primary sworn duty is to keep the diseased Vidiians away from other species and vice versa.
    Why not the Borg?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

The Star Trek Star Charts book, which I'm using as "canon" for setting up this campaign, places the Krowtonan Guard between the Haakonian Order and the Vidiian Sodality. The nearest Borg are waaaay over past the Nekrit Expanse and "off the board" for this particular game. The only mention of them is that the Equinox ran into them right after leaving the Array and they attacked mercilessly and continuously and killed a significant portion of Ransom's crew.

Just popping in to say that, though this is not my preferred area or region, it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'm enjoying the thread a great deal.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Sheliak Bob View Post
    The nearest Borg
    Do you mean 'nearest Borg planet' or 'nearest Borg, period'? If the Borg have scoutships bouncing around the Alpha Quadrant, it stands to reason that they'd be way more near their millenia-old stomping grounds. Even if they've decided not to assimilate the Kazon, they said no such thing about Talaxians. The Vidiians, Sikarians and definitely the Ocampa homeworld would be draw them like giant, devouring flies.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Do you mean 'nearest Borg planet' or 'nearest Borg, period'? If the Borg have scoutships bouncing around the Alpha Quadrant, it stands to reason that they'd be way more near their millenia-old stomping grounds. Even if they've decided not to assimilate the Kazon, they said no such thing about Talaxians. The Vidiians, Sikarians and definitely the Ocampa homeworld would be draw them like giant, devouring flies.
    Indeed- that very threat could become the climax of your story line.

What was Elrond's line? "You will unite or you will fall."

Say it with me now, "Bwaaa haa haa haaaaaa!"

In addition to preparing my next campaign, looking for work, and generally losing my mind over the next two months, I will be conducting an intense review of Voyager, Enterprise, and DS9.

I will also be taking some fairly copious notes (and jotting down RPG ideas as they surface).

So my question is this:

If/when/as suitable ideas surface, shall I send them directly to you? Post them here? Or right them up as stand-alones for BTFF (either e-zine, site or both)?

Do you want need full missions or are settings and NPCs sufficient to your nefarious purposes?

Two more ideas to consider:

The planet with a humanoid civilization powered by polaric ion energy (from VOY: Time and Again) has survived and may be preparing to move into spaceflight.

Their polaric ion power (despite its dangers) might be tempting to power-needy societies such as the Ocampa and the Kazon.

One idea that's been ticking over in the back of my mind are the Vidiians.

As has already been noted in this thread, the Think Tank claims to have cured the Phage.

They might have been telling the truth- they might have been lying.

Assuming for the moment that they were telling the truth, what will the Vidiians become?

The onscreen evidence suggests that they were a peaceful people filled with scholars, educators, scientists, and artists- forced into the most heinous moral crimes in order to sustain themselves.

Psychologically, that kind of blood price invariably leaves a deep and indelible stain.

What price must they have paid to the Think Tank for the cure? What would they have NOT paid to see their curse lifted?

My thoughts are that having suffered so much (physically and morally)- and having shed so much blood- many of the Vidiians would be living with near crippling shame and remorse- and perhaps seek to atone for the evil they had done.

We know that their society was technologically advanced and capable of fielding powerful starships- to say nothing of the advanced state of their medical science.

Can you imagine what a force they might be if unleashed on the Delta Quadrant on an errand of penance and mercy?

Whether operating from altruism or avarice, a reunified and re-energized Vidiian Sodality could conceivably alter the balance of power throughout several sectors- IF they could persuade people to trust them.

Sounds like a great idea for a very fun series, Bob. Here's to hoping you are able to get this thing launched!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).