Thread: Starship Suggestion?

Starship Suggestion?

Howdy All....

I'm putting together a new NPC ship and crew for my own nefarious purposes, but I'm kinda stumped on which starship class to use.

I'm looking at essentially pre-TNG (2340's and 50's)- the Cardassian Brushwar era.

I want a smaller, destroyer sized vessel, fast, sleek, and responsive.

One idea that caught my eye was the Decker Class from the old FASA TNG Officer's Manual- but the design (not to put too fine a point on it) is slightly horrendous.

I like the general hull form/layout and design philosophy- but in many details, it looks like a wasp with a thyroid problem.

The best "redrawings" I've been able to find are inconsistent in their scaling/detailing- and the edge of the primary hull is only one deck thick (and on the thin side even then).

Does anybody have either a good re-imagining of the Decker class or perhaps an alternate design?

Given my Navy background, I'm picky about my ships- but there's gotta be something out there that doesn't make me wanna weep and then get a club.

Cheyenne? One of the Excelsior study models maybe?

EDIT: One of Bernd's designs that I kind of like.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=7563

Apollo, Mediterranean, or Merced might do.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thanks guys.

I was leaning towards either the Cheyenne (one of the better ships in STO IMO) or the Merced class.

The Cheyenne is a bit small for my purposes, and I really couldn't find any images I liked.

Same problem with the Merced, though I actually like this image better than the one at ASDB.

Ultimately, though, I found a good, clean image of the Decker- and have tweaked it more to my liking.

I'm leaning towards treating her (for campaign/storyline purposes) like one of the old Caldwell/Wickes/Clemson class "four-pipers" during World War II- aged, but still game, tired-but still willing.

I've got character concepts down, now it's just a matter of statting them out and finding a good story line.

It is my intent to have a single volume of ships, crews, and stations that I can plug into any scenario in any (general) era.

They also make good "loaner" characters when I have players show up without...