Thread: The Force is with Disney

Exclamation The Force is with Disney

Disney Acquires Lucasfilm Ltd.

Disney's $4 billion Lucasfilm deal began with lightsabers in Orlando
    "LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co's $4 billion deal to buy George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd, Disney's third major entertainment acquisition in seven years, started taking shape in May 2011, when the "Star Wars" creator had to show Disney CEO Bob Iger how to use a lightsaber.

Lucas and Iger were at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park in Orlando, Florida, brandishing the toys at the grand opening of a 3-D version of the park's Star Tours ride, Iger recalls, and 'George had to show me how to use it.'"

Surprised Lucas didn't give Fox a chance at purchasing Lucasfilms given they have released the six main films. Surprised there is no word on the live action TV series that was suppose to take place between the two movie trilogies; of course I may have missed a previous announcement on that. Disney plans another Star Wars film for 2015!?! and every 2 to 3 years!!!
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

I have a bad feeling about this.....

That's odd, because I can see nothing about this that isn't positive. (And yes, I know it was a SW film reference....)
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr. Maddox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    That's odd, because I can see nothing about this that isn't positive. (And yes, I know it was a SW film reference....)
    As I said elsewhere:
    So possible more Jar Jar Binks or the like. I think the droids themself should be enough for the kids.

It seems that Episode 7-9 were already under way before Disney and Lucasfilms announce the pending merger, as he met with Hamill and Fisher to let them know when they assume he was going to discuss his pending retirement.
    Last edited by spshu; 11-01-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

I don't mind if they keep doing SW films...as long as:

1) Nothing written by Timothy Zahn is even considered as a sequel (if I have to see anti-Force ferrets on screen, I think I'll throw up)
    2) The main characters from the original trilogy are not recast (my greatest terror is seeing Justin Bieber play Luke Skywalker...)
    3) The Old Republic era is the setting for a new series.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    3) The Old Republic era is the setting for a new series.
    Only if they bring back the cool archaeo-spaceships from the Sith Empire series...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr. Maddox View Post
    Thinking some what about this, Disney pickup two other franchises that they have not been able to capitalized on: Muppets and Winney the Pooh; atleast on the movie front. I don't think either of their movies did well.

The Muppets did great box office, has a sequel coming out, characters all over the place, and won an Academy Award (Best Song, "Man or Muppet"). Muppets are doing all right at the House of Mouse.

Pooh Bear's been doing well for Disney for...let's see...almost 50 years, IIRC. There have been new Pooh projects for many years now.

I don't think we're in any danger.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Disney did an awesome job on the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie; the sequels certainly had issues, but were still better than the SW prequels. If they can bring the same sense of adventure and fun to new SW films, I might find reason for a new hope.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

And lest not forget the hands off approach they took at Pixar. And for Marvel products...

Its horses for courses really. Should they want to take control and turn it into a disney model that would probably be a bad thing, but if they retain Lucasfilm as a seperate entity withing the house of mouse (and as long as Lucas is not allowed to meddle) then the prospects are not as scary as the thought of re-watching episode 1.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)