Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, who is playing this game ?

So, who is playing this game ?

I've been playing for a few weeks now, at a very leisurely pace (I'm only level 11 right now, having recently earned my new ship). So far I keep liking the game, even though I can't shake the feeling I'm playing a RPG instead of a MMORPG. Oh, and the players keep complaining but apparently it's standard for MMORPGs.

We might try to form this Trekrpg fleet someday...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I'd like to play, but don't have the spare $$ at the moment
    I guess I'll continue to play my already purchased years ago table top WhiteWolf Game

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I envy you actually... I've been unable to play any tabletop RPG for a few years (that's the problem with friends having wives and kids).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

My wife allows me one significant portion of one day away from her, minus work. But it also helps that we're coming on eight years of marriage and can't afford kids yet.

I just wish I could start a table top Star Trek Game here in San Diego.
    I have some ideas ... also a short game for an "Escape from San Diego" modern game as well.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    ... I can't shake the feeling I'm playing a RPG instead of a MMORPG. ...
    Well - isn't that the reason to play MMORPGs? To have the chance of playing an rpg when your regular tabletop group has dissolved over the years and you can't find new players?! So far I have played a couple of MMORPGs and have never had the impression of playing an rpg. That's why I quited sooner or later (WOW already after 4 weeks; Star Wars Galaxies lasted for a bit over a year; the other games where somewhere between these two extremes).

Funny thing that. When I play a RPG on computer, if the story is well told, and there are lots of cool gear to level up with, then it is a good game.

However, when I play a RPG face to face, I enjoy playing my character, pursuing the story, and collecting cool gear is secondary to those. You can have more interaction of course, as the computer game can have only so man options to follow.

Yes, you can play WoW as a RPG using the chat channels, and some of the servers are dedicated to roleplaying, but to me it isn't the same.

Maybe games such as this should be called CRPG's and MMOCRPG's where C is for Computer!

YMMV!
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Well - isn't that the reason to play MMORPGs? To have the chance of playing an rpg when your regular tabletop group has dissolved over the years and you can't find new players?!
    Actually what I meant was that I miss the multiplayer part of the game. So far I've only played missions solo and, at my current level anyway (which is not very high, 11 when the max is 45), I don't really feel the need to join other teams. I'm not complaining, though, since this allows me to take my time reading the flavour text of the missions and follow the storyline, but, from my experience in City of Heroes anyway, playing in teams can be a lot more fun (though the actual RPGing usually suffers from it, but that's something I came to accept).

Other than that, there are some CRPG I particularly enjoyed as they were close to a tabletop experience (namely, Fallout 1 & 2, Vampire Bloodlines and The Witcher).
    Terry Pratchett

I'm in there, playing very leisurely but overall liking it quite much. (PM Eniax@Layon )

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

If anything, you'd think they'd want lower level players, and thus not as strong ships, to operate in a Flotilla or Squadron size, in order to provide strength/capability in numbers to overcome what they lack that larger, possibly capital ships, have. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is the future, and many capabilities are miniaturized to allow it to fit onto smaller and smaller vessels as time goes on; but even them you still need people with the knowledge and specialization to utilize those mechanical capabilities. Maybe that's were size matters, that it allows for more specialization or higher levels of specialization of individuals, where on smaller vessels you'd have more, or a higher percentage of, generalist.

Still only level 7 (or was it 8 ), so not sure I can be called an active player. But I am playing.

Bit annoyed that it took Amazon over 3 weeks after release to deliver the box. And when it got here, I got "DS9 uniform set" instead of a swedi... erm... borg bridge officer. Had already given up on it, and activated my account with a digital buy instead.

Is the DS9 uniform set the same as the seen in First Contact and the period beyond that?

I also am playing the game, and enjoying myself so far, though I kind of find myself soloing with very little interaction with others. Must try to solve that somehow...

Got a character up to Cdr 3 already, and have messed with a couple other characters at the Lt level as well. So I guess I have more free time to invest in the game than the rest of you.

Anyway, I'm on the TrekRPGNet channel, so be sure to say hi.
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Is the DS9 uniform set the same as the seen in First Contact and the period beyond that?
    I haven't installed the code from the box yet. But as the "TNG uniform" matches the First Contact uniform (well, after some work on the colours). So I my guess is that the DS9 uniform matches the early part of the series.

I've been playing it since release (and half way through Open Beta). It has it's issues (but what game doesn't?) but I'm throughly enjoying it. The only other MMO I have ever played has been EVE Online, which I dropped after 6 months because it took too long to get anywhere (both distance and character development), it had a death penalty that was too harsh, and it frankly wasn't much fun. STO on the other hand works wonderfully for a casual gamer like myself.

Smile

Just nabbed my copy on 4/25 and am currently waiting for Authentication to release
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"