Thread: Epic Campaign Arc?

Epic Campaign Arc?

As part of a Klingon project I'm working on (which will eventually lend itself to an RPG sourcebook), I want to include a short campaign arc (3-6 episodes) that explores classic Klingon themes of honor, loyalty, and sacrifice.

Since these will be iconic missions (intended to teach and emphasize the Klingon virtues), I want something larger-than-life, an epic story in the vein of Kang, Kor, and Koloth.

I've got S. John Ross' "Narrating In Klingon" bible, and I've got a number of ideas- but none of them have the suitable "spaghetti western" scope I feel is needed.

It goes without saying that great deeds entail great risk- epic adventures against epic odds...

Any suggestions?

My seeds so far:
    • The heroes are assembled to aid/defend a Great House now on its last legs. The House in question will fall no matter what the heroes do- but will fight one last glorious battle. (This has a number of themes in common with DS9: Blood Oath)
    • In the midst of an abortive Klingon Civil War (shades of the Klingon Academy VG), the heroes are gathered in an alliance to infiltrate and disable aid/defend a critical military installation. Success will turn the tide of battle and allow the Empire to crush the insurrection with a minimum of fuss and bother.

You could always have a look at my adventure The Sword of Honour, actually commissioned by LUG in its dying days for use in a tournament at GenCon. This was the only official Klingon product "released".

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...ghar/sword.htm

I shall, thank you.

Sometimes the smaller tales can be cool too.

Targ Hunt.

The Klingons are on shore leave on a jungle planet. Armed with their wits and bladed weapons they are after some much needed R&R as they hunt the most dangerous of the local wildlife. After a bloody good feast on some rather red meat they discover that their shuttle has been discovered by the relevant enemy of the period (Federation, Romulan, Kilngon Civil war or even Dominion)... Its only a small force but most certainly outnumbers the landing party and outguns them.

Which makes this shore leave even better.

They have to fight their way back to their shuttle dispatching as many of their foes along the way, and new stories to regale their crew upon their return. Extra XP for the crewmember who actually makes up the tales and tells it (with suitable bragging rights)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    Sometimes the smaller tales can be cool too.

Targ Hunt.

The Klingons are on shore leave on a jungle planet. Armed with their wits and bladed weapons they are after some much needed R&R as they hunt the most dangerous of the local wildlife. After a bloody good feast on some rather red meat they discover that their shuttle has been discovered by the relevant enemy of the period (Federation, Romulan, Kilngon Civil war or even Dominion)... Its only a small force but most certainly outnumbers the landing party and outguns them.

Which makes this shore leave even better.

They have to fight their way back to their shuttle dispatching as many of their foes along the way, and new stories to regale their crew upon their return. Extra XP for the crewmember who actually makes up the tales and tells it (with suitable bragging rights)
    I've run a couple of targ/ritual hunt stories myself, though not with this variation.

Thanks for the idea.

Interestingly, I stumbled across this at zero-dark hundred this morning.

You're quite correct that a story doesn't need to be "epic" to be profoundly Klingon.