Thread: Idea stuck in my brain

Idea stuck in my brain

As some of you know, i get ideas for star trek from stranges places sometimes; I love mashing up things from other sources and adapting them to something else, in this case Trek. I also love the almost untapped reservoir of weird stuff that must happen to Star Fleet personel all the time. This particular idea started while watching Ancient Aliens, looking through a Prime Directive D20 book, and skimming some pdf files I have for D20/Pathfinder games, and I don't really know if it would make a good story, adventure, or set up for Star Trek 3 (JJ, call me!), but thought I would share it.

Set in the TOS era, a skeleton crew on an experimental ship is testing a new propulsion system, one the might change the future of space exploration (early transwarp?), but during a test flight, there is a dangerous malfunction, and one brave helmsman gets his crew off the ship before the ship falls into some kind of Hawking tunnel/wormhole. Before it closes, they manage to get data from the ship that would point to where it would exit the wormhole. Not wanting this tech to be lost, or worse, fall into enemy hands, they mount a rescue at the opposite end of the wormhole, which is near an inhabited M class planet. The race that lives there is just starting their early pre-warp stage, and should have warp drive in less than a century. (also, there have been reports of 'ghost ships', unidentified warp craft in the area)
    Not detecting any trace of the ship, the rescue ships detect faint subspace signals and power signatures coming from various sites across the planet; troubling because all of this points to tech beyond the locals ability. Near one of these sites, they detect a possible human lifesign amongst a group of natives! Beaming down, they eventually find this person; it is the crewman, but he has been geneticly altered, and claims to have been on the planet for a millennia!

The Helmsman's tale goes something like this: The wormhole dropped him in this sector of space, but it also displaced him in time as well. He was thrown backwards a thousand years, with no way to get home. As he tried to figure out his situation, he was captured by machines working for an alien living on the planet he ended up on. This alien was the last of his kind, his race existing at the same time as the Preservers and Sargon's people. But while the Perservers moved races around to save them from extinction, this alien's people prefered to study races. This specific being was dying, and was engaged in a grand experiment he had artifically created a race, and was guiding it's development towards a technological civilization.
    At first, the Helmsman was a curiousity for the Entity; he was studied, experimented upon, and interrogated. As time went on, the Entity became intruiged by the Star Fleet officer, and of all the things he represented. He presented his experiment to him, not as some god-like being but as equals, for he had come to realize that like him, this human was alone in the universe. The Helmsman was amazed at the scope of the project, but more amazed when the Entity asked him to become part of it; he would wander the world, walking amongst the people of this planet, learning, teaching, interacting, and guiding them in a way that the Entity could not. The procedures the human had endured would give him a body that would resist age, but also would allow the machines to recreate him after he had died. He would wander and periodically report findings to secret stations across the globe.

So, without any other options, the Helmsman became a figure of legend; a wanderer who went from nation to nation, teaching new ways, spreading peace, and disappearing when his work was done. Eventually, he was part of the myths of this world, the "spirit of knowledge" that was seen as the right hand of the Originator (the Entity), and opposing force of the Angel of Light (the Entities Android assistant). The human's interaction with the other two members of this trinity wanned as they approached the Information age, the last time he saw the Angel was the day the Entity passed on, but he continued to report and observe, even if he was more of a myth at this point. As his new people began to explore space, he was looking forward to a time when they would be given their birthright, the knowledge of the Entity.

The arrival of FED starships set something else in motion; the Angel, long since abandoning it's programming, has been doing it's own research. On a secret base on one of this planet's moons, it has built up an army made up of natives that worship it, and believe they are destined to rule not only their home world, but the galaxy itself.

And the helmsman must eventually chose: save this world that has always been his home, or leave it for the life he should have lead.

Ok, that's alot of typing; thoughts? I'll cover some of the other stuff later, like how would you even begin to stat a 1,000 year old character up?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    If the helmsman is going to be an ally to the PCs, I would say don't stat him up. He's a plot device in that role, since the goal would be for the PCs to be the ones to resolve the adventure. After a thousand years of roaming his new world, he probably has a lot of knowledge and skills.

If he's to be an antagonist, then stat him up so that he's a reasonable challenge that can be overcome with a lot of effort (and a little luck). Or, overcome in an unconventional way.

I'd start with species creation rules in the NG, using Human as a starting point. But, he's no longer human...not after a millennium, so build his new species to reflect his additional abilities, while keeping a hint of human in there.

Then, give him lots of advancements (again, with the goal of making him a significant, but not impossible, challenge).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

At one time, he was the main character for a story/series; kinda Highlander meets Trek. In a way, his years as a curator for an experiment kinda are non issues: speaking the local dialect, knowing their history, etc, are kinda more like background fluff for the character off world.
    Was still trying to decide how to handle his class skills though; it's been ages since he flew a ship.

There has to be an investigation into alleged Prime Directive violations; will the PCs be part of that? This just begs for a court martial drama.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

See, that's one of the layers of the story that interests me (and why it bounces around in my head); he was transported back in time from the 23 to the 13th century (our time), with no way to send himself back. What WAS he supposed to do? Eat a Phaser? Find some quiet planetoid and live out his days in seclusion? Besides, if Star Trek: Insurrection (eww) sets the standard that the Bak'u can be movied because they didn't evolve there, what about a species artificially uplifted to sentience and then lead toward high culture?

Another thing I toss around is did the Helmsman turn his back on the PD of his own free will? Most of the time, the Entity is rather benevolent in my ideas, and the former human chooses this new life, if out of desperation if nothing else, but sometimes i wonder if it might be more interesting if he was altered (and what if his JAG attorney tries to use that defense, and it's not true? A SF court might go easy if he was manipulated into violation, but would this guy feel he betrayed his former mentor?)

Honestly, the courtroom drama might be an easy way to show some of the scope of his situation: he was trapped somewhere, with no way home. He was offered a slight chance to get back (the hard way, living the centuries), and he took it. But he had to violate (technically violate?) one of the corner stones of his beliefs.

What would YOU do? (or Kirk, or Picard, ok, Janeway is kinda out since she sorta DID violate the PD once or twice )

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Find some quiet planetoid and live out his days in seclusion?
    According to Picard in First Contact; Yes.

Now interpretation of Prime Directive is most definately at the discression of the officer in the field. The court martial would be in place to decide if the action taken was correct...

Now it strikes me that after a millenium and augmentation the character may start as antagonst, and may not even recall much of his past life. He would be a serious challenge, but his key Achillies Heel is the distant memory of lost friendships. Thus, despite his power he is unlikely to want to kill the players (same cannot be said for his devoted followers).

perhaps the soluition is a sort of quest. You said there were adanced substations hidden around the planet, if these are the source of the power, then a methodical destruction of these places may slowly reduce the beings power and return more of his personality.

At the conclusion of the adventure even if the helmsman chooses to remain with his new people, a Courts Martial would still be a neccesity (loss of the ship, breach of the prime directive) and the players would still be subject to it even if they are unlikly to be charged with anything (because thats just the way these things work)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

In the core idea, he's protagonist, or at least an ally of main characters (I'm thinking something like John Doe from 'Transfigurations'), but the real antagonist is the Entities Android, who has been slowly building a hostile force made up of transported natives, all devoted to her, all opperating advanced tech (Entity Tech? Reverse engineered SF tech? a hybrid of both?) And, by the point that the Helmsman is 'rescued' by his fellow Star Fleet officers, she's leading the more advanced natives in taking over the planet, and establishing an empire in her name.

So, for those of you keeping score: this guy lost his old life, got a new life where he came to care for the people of this planet. Then, his old life found him, and his new life was being snuffed out by one of the people who gave it to him in the first place! DRAMA!!