Thread: Star Wars Hyperdrives

Star Wars Hyperdrives

Star Wars Hyperdrives

For the fleet of Star Wars ship I have finally figured the Hyperdrive engines. It is a little different than the Warp drive but works for the size of the ships.

Star Wars Hyperdrives

The hyper drives are much like the transwarp drives in the fact that they travel faster than most Fedration starship. Such here is the conversions.

Hyperdrive Class -- ÷ or x warp factor 6* -------------------- SU’s ----------- power cost
    Class .5 --------------- ÷ or x 14 --------------------------------------- Size x 13 ------- x 14
    Class .75 ------------- ÷ or x 13 --------------------------------------- Size x 12 ------- x 13
    Class 1 --------------- ÷ or x 12 --------------------------------------- Size x 11 ------- x 12
    Class 1.5 ------------- ÷ or x 11 --------------------------------------- Size x 10 ------- x 11
    Class 2 --------------- ÷ or x 10 --------------------------------------- Size x 9 -------- x 10
    Class 3 --------------- ÷ or x 9 ---------------------------------------- Size x 8 --------- x 9
    Class 4 --------------- ÷ or x 8 ---------------------------------------- Size x 7 -------- x 8
    Class 5 --------------- ÷ or x 7 ---------------------------------------- Size x 6 -------- x 7
    Class 6 --------------- ÷ or x 6 ---------------------------------------- Size x 5 -------- x 6
    Class 7 --------------- ÷ or x 5 ---------------------------------------- Size x 4.5 ------ x 5
    Class 8 --------------- ÷ or x 4 ---------------------------------------- Size x 4 -------- x 4
    Class 9 --------------- ÷ or x 3.5 -------------------------------------- Size x 3.5 ----- x 3.5
    Class 10 ------------- ÷ or x 2 ----------------------------------------- Size x 3 ------- x 2
    Class 15 ------------- ÷ or x 1 ----------------------------------------- Size x 2 ------- x 1

I generated this out of the Star Wars Book Starships of the galaxy by wizard of the coast a 20D version. The travel times to another planet in the star Wars Universe takes less time than that of the Star Trek Universe.

* The travel time to the next star system (approximately 5 light-years) at Warp 6 is five days. A class 1 hyperdrive would change the travel time to 10 hours. A class .5 the Millennium Falcon would travel the same distance in 8.57 hours. (Any faster than Warp 6 the travel times begin reaching the Transwarp variable and the travel becomes next to instantaneously travel. You still need to sit back and enjoy the journey to the next stop seeing the sights passing by at speeds faster than light.)

There is a second version if there is a warp drive installed the cruising warp speed is used as the multiplier for the hyperdrive.

Let me know what you think as I intend to replace the Faster then Light drives in the Star Wars ships that I have posted all ready in this from the warp drive engines that I used already. If you have any better ideas in how to do this post it as I have not any better idea’s to date. At present I have not come up with anything better for the warp core and it will remain the same for the time being yet I see that the Star Wars ships power systems are larger version of the Fusion Reactors.
    Last edited by Omega1967; 12-10-2012 at 12:29 PM.

I like it. I may borrow it for a campaign I have talked about elsewhere.

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    Warp Equivalents

Warp 9.999999999978
    Warp 9.9999999996
    Warp 9.9999999982
    Warp 9.9999999816
    Warp 9.9999999
    Warp 9.9999962
    Warp 9.9999956
    Warp 9.9999944
    Warp 9.999993
    Warp 9.999992
    Warp 9.999991
    Warp 9.99999
    Warp 9.999925
    Warp 9.999918
    Warp 9.9999
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

Let’s see if I can explain what my thinking was with hyperspace travel times with a demonstration. Hyperspace speeds are traveling faster than 9.99 but never faster than 9.9999 the speed of a good communications speed.

The Bajoran and Cardassian homeworld Systems are noted in the STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE TECHNICAL MANUAL as being 50 light-years away from Earth. As we all know traveling at the speed of light or Warp factor one it would take fifty years and then some if you make a few stops along the way. Yet at Warp Factor six travel would take 46.6 days and then at Warp Factor Nine it would take 12 days id it could be maintained for that long. However with a Class two hyper drive it would take a little over 4 days and the ship would be traveling at 4704 times the speed of the light.

However the Transwarp speed times would be 14.4 hours to Bajor and Cardassia. Yet Quantum Slip Stream would be a whopping ten minutes away. Yet for a Battlestar it would be an extremely long jump at the longest range but a couple of jumps would be simpler. Well there is passing through a worm hole but then you can find yourself in the middle of next week or year.

I remember reading somewhere that it was thought that the distances between worlds are closer and travel times would be shorter in the Star Wars Universe. This would account for a fighter being able to travel to a planet without making a side stops on the way. I don’t remember seeing any restrooms or food replicators in any of the Jedi Fighters. I would guess that the distance would be either half the distance or a quarter the distance as the universe would have been smaller “A long time ago…” this would account for the shorter travel times in the distances. This would also lead someone to think that “far, far away…” would be much farther now.

In doing the Hyper space travel times in this way I give a few ships faster than the best federation starships top speeds to get to where they are going. I have and this to allow for a bit of scene in between planets and to simulate the shorter times between planets such as is in the movies.

So this was my thinking when I generated the chart for the hyper drive speed changes. Although I find the warp drive more reasonable thinking in the travel between planets.

Here is my final version

STAR WARS HYPER DRIVES
    The standard hyper drives are much like the transwarp drives in the fact that they travel faster than most Federation starships. The Hyper drive can be as large as a bread box on some craft and expansive as a small area of the ship on a larger ship. Each of the hyper drives are slightly different for each ship in question even though a small fighter has a hyper drive it is not interchangeable with a large capital ship. Such here is the conversions. Round up SU’s and Power for any of the drives that come out odd.

Hyper drive Class -- ÷ or x warp factor 6* -------- SU’s ----------- power cost (Round up SU’s and Power)
    Class .25 ------------- ÷ or x 15 (5880 c)---------------- Size x 15 ------- x 15 **
    Class .5 --------------- ÷ or x 14 (5488 c)---------------- Size x 13 ------- x 14 **
    Class .75 ------------- ÷ or x 13 (5096 c)---------------- Size x 12 ------- x 13 **
    Class 1 ---------------- ÷ or x 12 (4704 c)--------------- Size x 11 -------- x 12
    Class 1.5 ------------- ÷ or x 11 (4312 c)---------------- Size x 10 ------- x 11
    Class 2 --------------- ÷ or x 10 (3920 c)---------------- Size x 9 --------- x 10
    Class 3 --------------- ÷ or x 9 (3528 c)------------------ Size x 8 -------- x 9
    Class 4 --------------- ÷ or x 8 (3126 c)------------------ Size x 7 -------- x 8
    Class 5 --------------- ÷ or x 7 (2744 c)------------------ Size x 6 -------- x 7
    Class 6 --------------- ÷ or x 6 (2352 c)------------------ Size x 5 -------- x 6
    Class 7 --------------- ÷ or x 5 (1960 c)------------------ Size x 4.5 ------ x 5
    Class 8 --------------- ÷ or x 4 (1568 c)------------------ Size x 4 -------- x 4
    Class 9 --------------- ÷ or x 3 (1176 c)------------------ Size x 3 -------- x 3
    Class 10 ------------- ÷ or x 2 (784 c)-------------------- Size x 3 -------- x 2 .75
    Class 11 * ----------- ÷ or x 1 (392 c)-------------------- Size x 2.5 ------ x 2.5
    Class 12 ------------- Twice time travel (196 c)-------- Size x 2 -------- x 2
    Class 13 ------------- Three time travel (132 c)-------- Size x 1.75 ---- x 1.75
    Class 14 ------------- Four time travel (98 c)----------- Size x 1.5 ------ x 1.5
    Class 15 ------------- Five time travel (79 c)------------ Size x 1.25 ---- x 1.25
    Class 16 ------------- Six time travel (65 c)------------ Size x 1 -------- x 1
    Class 17 ------------- Seven time travel (57 c)-------- Size x .9 ------- x .9
    Class 18 ------------- Eight time travel (49 c)---------- Size x .8 ------- x .8
    Class 19 ------------- Nine time travel (44 c)----------- Size x .7 ------- x .7
    Class 20 ------------- Ten time travel (40 c)------------ Size x .6 ------- x .6
    Class 21 ------------- Eleven time travel (36 c)-------- Size x .5 ------- x .5
    Class 22 ------------- Twelve time travel (33 c)-------- Size x .4 ------- x .4
    Class 23 ------------- Thirteen time travel (30 c)------- Size x .3 ------- x .3
    Class 24 ------------- Fourteen time travel (28 c)------ Size x .2 ------- x .2
    Class 25 ------------- Fifteen time travel (26 c)--------- Size x .1 ------- x .1

** Extremely rare. The Hyper drives are the heart of most if not all of the Faster than Light vessels in the Star Wars Universe. Expensive costing three times that of normal drive or has to be constructed to be constructed by an individual usually an accidental construction of the system with a difficultly challenge of 16. * Warp six speed equals 392 time the speed of light. ***Cost Twice normal ****Costs four time normal.

I generated this out of the Star Wars Book Starships of the galaxy by wizard of the coast a 20D version. The travel times to another planet in the star Wars Universe takes less time than that of the Star Trek Universe.
    * The travel time to the next star system (approximately 5 light-years) at Warp 6 is five days. A class 1 hyper drive would change the travel time to 10 hours. A class .5 the Millennium Falcon would travel the same distance in 8.57 hours. (Any faster than Warp 6 the travel times begin reaching the Transwarp variable and the travel becomes next to instantaneously travel. You still need to sit back and enjoy the journey to the next stop seeing the sights passing by at speeds faster than light.) Warp six speed equals 392 time the speed of light.
    Warp 5 = Across Sol System - 2 minutes = to nearby system (5 light-years) – 5 Days = Across the Sector (20 light-years) – 19 days.
    There is a second version if there is a warp drive installed the cruising warp speed is used as the multiplier for the hyper drive. I did not like this way as the travel times were too short in minutes.
    Let me know what you think as I intend to replace the Faster then Light drives in the Star Wars ships to this from the warp drive engines that I used already. If you have any better ideas in how to do this post it as I have not any better idea’s to date. At present I have not come up with anything better for the warp core and it will remain the same for the time being yet I see that the Star Wars ships Power Systems are larger version of the Fusion Reactors called Main Reactors and I used the Warp core table to generate the reactors.
    I used the main listing for the Hyper drive and did not see that the installation of the secondary or backup hyper drive was needed, yet if some time in the future the addition of the secondary or backup hyper drive is needed it can be added with little effort.
    The hyper drive is the main idea of interstellar travel and the rules require the ships to be at least three MU’s from the Mu that has the planet or any of its moons in. This makes the distance at least for leaving let’s say earth thirteen MU’s before the Hyper drive can be safely engaged without damaging the drive. The second rule is that the hyper drive that is activated in orbit will receive a burnout and each hour it is run while the drive is under this condition receives plus one to difficulty till failure result and can strand a ship in the middle of nowhere and the hyper drive must be repaired. The damage is the SU’s equaling the time traveled and the damaged Su’s cannot exceed the hyper drive Su’s. If the damaged SU’s reach the total SU’s for the hyper drive the system has been destroyed and must be replaced.
    If the hyper drive is damaged the hyper drive has a chance of not functioning with an increases difficulty of +3 to the usual test roll. The difficulty is 12. When engaging hyper drive within the thirteen MU’s the vessel risks the damage to the hyper drive with a difficulty rolls of 10. This is where Warp drive becomes the superior drive as it can be engaged in the high atmospheres of the planets.
    Usually a sensor scan should be made to check for another vessel that could be blocking its jump to faster than light speeds. At hyper speed the chance of collision is already computed. Before the jump the pilot must make a navigation check to ensure it is a safe course to take at hyper speed.
    While at light speed or hyper space speeds the ship cannot use its weapons, lasers or missile weapons unless the weapon is created to travel through hyper space solo. If attempting to destroy another ship the only method is ramming the other vessel if it is close enough or dumping the cargo in the path of the other ship. Depending on the size of the cargo the damage could be devastating to the hull. While at light speeds the cargo is a bug on the windshield causing damage. A weapon like a bomb could destroy another.
    The impact of one cubic meter of cargo does 1 SU of damage starting at the hull. Most ships can eject the cargo from the hold even while at faster-than-light speeds. Only one third of the ejected cargo will impact the opposing ship to cause damage.
    The ships hyper speeds can be adjusted to travel along side another a ship that is slower than itself. Even thought the ships are traveling the same path they both must make a navigational check before the jump to light speed.

Rules: Basic rules for the use of the Hyper drive systems is simply this: Absolutely no combat while at hyper speeds. No Atmospheric Jumps. A damaged Hyper drive does not work.

Let’s see if I can explain what my thinking was with hyperspace travel times with a demonstration. Hyperspace speeds are traveling faster than 9.99 but never faster than 9.9999 the speed of a good communications speed.
    Last edited by Omega1967; 03-12-2014 at 05:23 PM.