Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and questions

Welcome Sparx

One thing about generating characters in coda. Beware of players who want to take a lot of flaws if they are allowed to compensate with edges. The edges are powerful and needs to be controlled.

That if is you donīt want hi power characters.

Also, from my perspective I am still trying to learn the rules around starship combat and my aim is to keep such battles balanced and cinematic and not take to much time since we are very story focused and less rule focused in my gaming group

From memory: At chargen, you're limited to three edges and two flaws. Everybody gets a free edge, which you can take at any point in chargen. You can also take another edge at both Personal and Professional development; these must be compensated with flaws. But you can't really load up on edges at chargen (unless you consider three to be "loading up"). You can wind up with more due to your species, but that's another deal entirely.

Again, that's from memory and I could be misremembering. It's been a while since I created a character, to be honest with you. I should probably go do that soonish to get my chops back.

As for starship combat: In my experience, it flows very cinematically, and doesn't interfere very much with the story at all.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I agree, starship combat flows very cinematically. We've done whole episodes based around a space-battle and also brief skirmishes within an episode. And I've always gotten the feel of being on the bridge while the Captain calls out such orders as "Lieutenant, target their weapons and fire !".

Very cinematic.

Right now our Narrator is working up a chart for different maneuvers, and their difficulties. So that when the Captain orders "Evasive Maneuver, pattern Epsilon Theta" we know exactly what difficulty to roll and what modifiers to apply to the next attack against the evading ship.

That may sound rules-heavy, and mathy, but we play a pretty story-oriented, less rules-oriented game too.

Any chanse at seing that table or overview?

It would probably help out a lot

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Yeah, I've attached it. It's basically just a couple of charts. We've tested it out in a couple of game-sessions, though. Should work for pretty cinematic game.
    Attached Files Attached Files