Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Trek: The Golden Age

Again K.G reading this stuff is a great inspiration. I could not view the pdf:s from my mobil device, I wil try to check again later.

I noticed your discussions about expanded universe stuff and I am looking for good starfleet academy related books. Any chanse of you guys mentioning the ones you know? I have seen one avove mentioned from shatner, I haven't seen it avaliable on.my e-book shop butI will continue the search.

Also posting a question about telepathy and mind reading with in the group och players in another thread.

Vacation episodes are always great fun. I had an idea about the crew being part of the crew.on a horizon class (the ones from ent. Probably not right class name) cargo ship.

Take care and great reading, keep it coming :-)

The book by Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens' is called Academy: Collision Course. It definitely ends with the feeling that there would be more books, but the Abrams-verse may have delayed or derailed that particular exploration.

You'd think Academy tales would be more prevalent, and maybe I'm overlooking some, but I can only think of two other novels, a video game and a comic book series that cover it. Well, for TNG-era Academy material, its hard to top LUG's Starfleet Academy boxed set. I may not be too keen on the ICON rules set, especially starship operations, but they turned out a LOT of high quality material that can be mined for fluff material.

The novels: Fugazi Grrl already mentioned The Best and the Brightest. TNG/DS9 era, but certainly a great read and an insightful take on life at the Academy.

The other novel ties in with a Starfleet Academy PC game, which is set between TOS-movies V and VI. The exact name of the video game and novelization escapes me; although I have both, they are somewhere in the lost wilderness of a storage unit along with most of my personal possessions.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Just want to say that I'm really enjoying reading your stuff, K.G. You've got an easy to read writing style, and I love the "Golden Years" title!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

The Incident

There comes a time when the future is deep in doubt. That it happened even before the players finished the Academy mini-campaign was especially worrisome. On the one hand, what the players did was a serious breach of ethical conduct for Starfleet officers. On the other hand, it was pretty funny and I had a hard time being the stern Academy superintendent.

Perhaps I had played Rittenhouse too well; maybe being an arrogant bastard just comes naturally to me. In any case, the Crew has had enough of Cadet Robert Rittenhouse, and it was time for a reckoning. The detailed and sinister nature of the players sort of scared me. And it was pretty obvious that the players had done their planning away from the game table and therefore I had no idea just where all this was going.

Ever the consummate planner, Cadet Niles approached the science and engineering cadets, Corso and Mubarak, for a special concoction. He wanted a highly adhesive gel that was inert at room temperature and would bond at a very specific temperature range; 98.6 degrees with a 5 degree variable range.

Cadet Payne meanwhile set about collecting some janitorial supplies; specifically signage for closing restrooms and stalls.

While the mad scientists cooked up their special adhesive, Cadet Niles secured some recording equipment and the tools necessary to mount said equipment to an interior room.

Once the adhesive was cooked up and the surveillance equipment installed in the men's room nearest the mess hall, Cadet Dewhurst was coerced to taking a potent laxative substance from the commissary. Uh oh, I think I know what's about to happen...

Niles and the rest of his trainee squad are eating in the mess hall while Mr. Pain closes the restroom, selects a stall, applies the adhesive and puts an out of order sign on the stall in question and reopens the restroom. Then, he sits in the next stall, communicator in hand, awaiting the start of phase 2.

Back in the mess hall, Rittenhouse and his cronies are being their typical selves, and since my poor NPC is about to get pantsed I figure I might as well enjoy this last moment before the fall. Rittenhouse directs some derision at Cadet Schwartz on his way to join Niles and company.

Angered at Rittenhouse's bullying, Niles adjusts the plan. He calls Payne on the communicator and tells his to come to the mess hall and distract Rittenhouse. Figuring the secret stall will keep, Schwartz is sent to the restroom to prepare for the trap-springing.

Payne arrives in a minute and makes a beeline for Rittenhouse and company. Niles jogs over, ostensibly to back up his friend but this is just a cover for his little sleight-of-hand to slip the super-laxative into Rittenhouse's drink. That accomplished, Payne and Niles walk away before things get out of hand.

In a few minutes, a rather pale looking Rittenhouse is awkwardly fast-stepping his way out of the mess hall. Niles calls Schwartz and tells him to switch the out-of-order sign to another stall put out of order signs on all the stalls except the special surprise for Rittenhouse. Once Rittenhouse had entered the restroom and no innocent bystander was going to get stuck, he was to evac.

When did Starfleet Academy turn into a mash-up of Animal House and American Pie? Oh wait, they're not done yet...

Niles and Payne convinced science cadet that patching the video feed into the campus net so everyone could enjoy Rittenhouse's "explosive decompression."

Well, now the Academy staff is aware of the goings-on and an investigation is launched. The hacking of the Academy computer net is traced and the squad is brought in for questioning. Niles and Payne are quick to take responsibility, which is accurate since they did all the planning and coerced the cadets who had the requisite skills to pull this off.

Superintendant Lee decided to go with a mild reprimand in the cadets' personnel files, since he was aware of what a complete tool Cadet Rittenhouse was capable of being. And the Crew's planning was rather well executed; how could he deny Starfleet the services of such cunning operatives?

In game terms its been over 10 years since the incident, and the Crew kept a copy of the video feed which they occasionally tweak "Lucas-style" and send the latest special edition to Rittenhouse as a gift. I must admit it has made Rittenhouse easier to use as a nemesis over the players' Starfleet careers, since he has a reason to hate them so much. And currently, Rittenhouse has had the last laugh, as the players found out in the last episode of Season 2. Rittenhouse is appearing in the next episode we're playing, late in Season 3, so I'll have to let you know how that turns out when I get that far.

Up next: the Academy mini-campaign comprised most of Season 1; there are only 3 regular episodes in that season. I'll hopefully be done recapping Season 1 shortly. Coming soon: Episode #1 Final Frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    Just want to say that I'm really enjoying reading your stuff, K.G. You've got an easy to read writing style, and I love the "Golden Years" title!
    Thanks, Doug. I appreciate the kind words.

Sorry it took so long for an update, but real life and gaming life have been pretty hectic. As both are settling down, I hope to get this thread caught up to "current events" in the campaign.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    KG, you inspire me. I may have to start posting our logs. Especially since the USS Armidale crew (Movie era) are going through the old AD&D module, The Tomb of Horrors.

Even with 23rd century technology the crew had a lot of trouble getting past the first few booby-traps. And I can't wait to see what our Narrator has put in there as the "rare, and dangerous archaeological find" the crew is there to bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    KG, you inspire me. I may have to start posting our logs. Especially since the USS Armidale crew (Movie era) are going through the old AD&D module, The Tomb of Horrors.

Even with 23rd century technology the crew had a lot of trouble getting past the first few booby-traps. And I can't wait to see what our Narrator has put in there as the "rare, and dangerous archaeological find" the crew is there to bring back.
    That sounds AWESOME! Please do. I love reading tales of adventure here; its a big inspiration for my games.

I have been meaning to getting back to updating the logs, but 2013 has been busy so far. Soon I hope. Tonight is the last adventure of season 3, and whoo-boy its been a wild one.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Should I post mine here, or start there own thread ?

I'd love to post some of the USS Legacy crew's logs too.

I don't mind sharing, but for ease of others locating your stories without sifting through my ramblings it should have its on threads.

And if I ever reach the point where I am posting logs of my TOS-movie era campaign I will be starting a separate thread for that. I think its just easier for reading and cataloguing purposes. Or I'm a stickler for organization. Take your pick