Thread: Narrating with sounds

Narrating with sounds

I have just re-watched JJ. Abrams Star Trek and it striked me that he got something totally right in the first scene: the sound Effects.

I don't know about you but I found it quite emotional to hear TOS bridge, computer and torpedoes sound effects. You don't even need to see torpedoes flying through space. The sound of them just does the trick.

Anyway...

That reinforced my motivation to give sounds an important place in my soon to be started (next Wednesday actually) campaign.

General opinions are welcomed but I have a question which is quite straightforward and technical.

Would you have an software to use to play these sounds with my laptop during games? Are there things where I can just press a key and have the sound of a door or teleporter?

Thanks for your help

Two authentic sources for Trek sound effects are the TOS sound effects CD...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_7q6x91ntv6_b

...and for TNG effects, the soundtarck CD of the TNG movie "Generations" has a similar collection after the soundtrack finishes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...Generations+cd

If you downloaded these onto your laptop, you could then access them at the touch of a button easily (iTunes or equivalent player).

I've played only one 'modern day' RPG scenario at a convention where the GM used action movie style themes to create atmosphere between "scenes" in our foray to attack a jungle outpost. it worked really well in my eyes. So if you got hold of some of the Soundtrack CD's, you could use them as well between scenes. Similar to how they are used in audio dramas on radio and the net.

Mark
    Last edited by trynda1701; 02-06-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added comment on use of music themes
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

To give them the whole experience, though, you need to shine a flashlight in their eyes while you do it...

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    The audio-files on this site are great for effects, and scoring.

http://www.trekcore.com/

I even use some of their sounds as ring and message tones on my cell.

Great

I already made a player jump on his seat with the very first sound I used .

He didn't expect a sound when he said "I use the replicator to get myself a glass of water" and mimed reaching for it

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    To give them the whole experience, though, you need to shine a flashlight in their eyes while you do it...
    Make that a klieg light... and maybe vent some steam into the room at random intervals...

There are also some smart phone apps that have special effects sounds for Star Trek. Very useful for tabletop gaming.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."