Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Neogenesis Thread

Star Trek: Neogenesis Thread

So after all the failed attempts at running my starbase game as well as my USS Andromeda games, I have been asked by my players to run Star Trek for them. Seizing on this opportunity, with mostly new players too, I am running the Trek campaign I have always dreamed of and cherry picking everything I could want from my past campaigns!

I am using the Thousand Suns system from Grognardia Games, which at first blush plays very fast, but the starting characters are a bit too weak for what I need, will be upping them so it isn't a "wiff fest" all night next time.

I don't want to write a whole diatribe if no one is interested, so I ask you, do you want me to tell you about this campaign? To tell you what happens in sessions?

Let me know!

Please do start a campaign digest. I draw a lot of inspiration from other players'/GMs' experiences here for my own Trek campaigns.

And one other small request? Do a better job of keeping the thread updated than I do

Look forward to reading of your adventures!
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Post away, AslanC. Anybody who's not interested is welcome to not read it. Their loss.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Fine by me. I always like new sources to stea...{ahem} BORROW ideas from!

Sure, I'm interested to read that

I've found that having an online audience helps keep my enthusiasm up from preparing gaming materials, so anything you want to share would be great.

How have you found Thousand Suns for creating species templates for Trek?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I've found that having an online audience helps keep my enthusiasm up from preparing gaming materials, so anything you want to share would be great.

How have you found Thousand Suns for creating species templates for Trek?
    Thousand Suns doesn't work well, as starting characters, even those with Vetern careers fail way too often at tasks. I think the system, in its attempts to be so easy has lost a level of depth as a result.

Looking at Savage Worlds as a possible replacement.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few pretty good Savage Trek hacks, Aslan; it would seem to be a pretty good choice. What era do you tend to play in?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a few pretty good Savage Trek hacks, Aslan; it would seem to be a pretty good choice. What era do you tend to play in?
    Current campaign is 5 years after Dominion War.

Yeah I have issues with Savage Worlds as well, so my infamous D6 Hack might raise its head from the depths

I know it's not the most popular choice with some folks, but there is a system out there, called CODA, that works really well for Trek, and it's got a lot of support from portions of the fan community...just saying.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    I know it's not the most popular choice with some folks, but there is a system out there, called CODA, that works really well for Trek, and it's got a lot of support from portions of the fan community...just saying.
    It, and ICON and FASA, are too complicated for my group, who like to just roll and go. I seriously thought about it and then looked at character creation and decided no.

Cough while we're talking systems, might I recommend Ashen Stars? : D
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Cough while we're talking systems, might I recommend Ashen Stars? : D
    Seems better for a TOS style game than a soap operatic ongoing station (DS9 style) game.

I think D6 might be the way I go.

Seems easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    Seems better for a TOS style game than a soap operatic ongoing station (DS9 style) game.
    Well, it's marketed that way, but mechanically there's nothing preventing you from using it for a more sandbox-like game a la DS9. I've actually found the episode-structuring advice in the DS9 ICON book pretty useful when writing scenarios for other Gumshoe games.

Well, it's marketed that way, but mechanically there's nothing preventing you from using it for a more sandbox-like game a la DS9. I've actually found the episode-structuring advice in the DS9 ICON book pretty useful when writing scenarios for other Gumshoe games.
    Cool, I might give it a read if I can get my hands on a copy, but that's based on your words as nothing I have read in a review has set me on fire for this game.

I actually feel guilty using a system other than a Star Trek one, but the thing is FASA is too archaic, ICON has way too many skills and is overly complicated and CODA, well I take no pleasure in sitting there doing advancement, after advancement just to get the characters to where they need to be.

It is sad to say I have become an "old gamer" now and have no time for quirky and super intricate systems like I did when I was younger.

I want simple, MINI SIX, BareBones Fantasy... wait a minute...

BareBones Star Trek! Could it be done?

Must think on this.