Thread: Defiance

Defiance

So, I finally caught Sigh-fie's Defiance the other night. Not a bad show; certainly not the best new show on tv (Walking Dead), but I found it to be entertaining. It's nice to see something slightly original in our genre, even if it's kinda cribbed from other sources. But the aliens seen interesting enough, the setting appropriate and characters likeable.
    Anyone else giving this new media platform a chance?

I've seen ads for it, but haven't caught it on Space up here yet. I am a fan of The Walking Dead (and The Talking Dead), though and I agree, it's the best thing to come along since sliced Fred (old gaming joke). If Trek fans are called Trekkies, what are Walking Dead fans called - "Deadheads" is taken.

My thought is that it would make an excellent rpg setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    I've seen ads for it, but haven't caught it on Space up here yet. I am a fan of The Walking Dead (and The Talking Dead), though and I agree, it's the best thing to come along since sliced Fred (old gaming joke). If Trek fans are called Trekkies, what are Walking Dead fans called - "Deadheads" is taken.
    "Biters."
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    My thought is that it would make an excellent rpg setting.
    I had that thought as well: I know it might be a bit of blasphemy, but I thought back to my D20 Modern books, specifically D20 Apocalypse. In it, there is a world setting where a failed alien invasion (their usual bioweapons and mutagens had a bad reaction to our diverse biosphere) ends up with the Earth terribly mutated and changed, the aliens stranded on earth, and a new world rising from the old.

But this world does look like it needs a nice pen and paper RPG setting to go with the Mixed reviewed MMORPG setting it has now.

For once the UK gets something 24 hours after the US premier... All that satelitte technology and its taken this long to get this far...

I rather like it. For a Sci-fi western it still plays second fiddle to Firefly, but its early days. Nice to see Julie Benz back in genre, and the setting certainly offers ample story opportunity. Not sure I liked the final scene. Perhaps its better to drop a few hints but wait until you have some legs before dropping into an over-reaching plot... But I guess thats not how TV production works these days.

Certainly enjoyable and will draw me back in. Which I suppose is all that matters.

As foe the Walking Dead. Top Drawer. (although I have never quite got over the pastiche The Walken Dead;
    http://youtu.be/giAQuLntqXY
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Yeah, we get Dr. Who the same way. Gone are the days of knowing what was going to happen by trolling UK fansites.

As to that last scene; you HAVE to have an over arching conspiracy for all American shows now; I think it's part of the Patriot act or something. Even shows about conspiracies have larger over arching conspiracies in them. (from what I remember about Revolution, there were people behind the blackout, who are secretly moving inside the guys who took over North America)

Laughed like a hyena over Walken Dead.

Now Revolution... Theres one that I wanted to get into, but before it started I started stumbling on negative critisism and started to get the 'cancelled after 1 seasonvide' like with Flashforward... Difference being that Flashforward was based on a self contained book so could at least be enjoyed seperately...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)