Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nuTrek II

nuTrek II

Who's seen it? Thoughts?

I have, but I don't want to include spoilers in the first post.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Haven't seen it yet, but it's getting good reviews, which kinda bothers me more than if it was panned for some reason.

I have seen it. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I thought it was a typical sci-fi blockbuster. Another hand I thought of it as kind of an adaptation and wish it were a little more original.
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 05-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.

As much as I adore Benedict Cumberbatch as an actor,

I just wish they'd found someone who wasn't a lily-white Englishman to play the, you know, Indian Khan Noonien Singh...

In 1967 they didn't even do that. Okay, Ricardo Montalban wasn't Indian, but I imagine the examples of Indian actors available in the USA in 1967 were pretty few and far between.

That's not the case now. There are many top-notch Indian actors who could have filled the role.

Edit: added spoiler tags, though I really don't think anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for a year wouldn't be aware of what I said...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    As much as I adore Benedict Cumberbatch as an actor,

I just wish they'd found someone who wasn't a lily-white Englishman to play the, you know, Indian Khan Noonien Singh...

In 1967 they didn't even do that. Okay, Ricardo Montalban wasn't Indian, but I imagine the examples of Indian actors available in the USA in 1967 were pretty few and far between.

That's not the case now. There are many top-notch Indian actors who could have filled the role.

Edit: added spoiler tags, though I really don't think anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for a year wouldn't be aware of what I said...
    Personally:

I figured they were going to redo Wrath of Khan when I heard that they were doing a second nuTrek. You know what I didn't want to watch? Wrath of Khan again. Especially when spliced with the tired "Starfleet's the real bad guy" plot I just guess I had hoped for more, not the same olde stuff rehashed. That said, I did like Peter Weller as much as I hated the glaringly obvious role he was given.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

See, part of my problem with this new, re-imagined universe, is this "Star Fleet is bad" thread that pops up. Ok, I know we can't count the IDW comics as cannon, but I picked up a couple of the trade paperbacks; ones that re-imagine TOS episodes in this new universe (do NOT read if you already hate the Abrams verse). In a couple, Star Fleet is behind the problem. One that stands out is Return of the Archons, where it turns out Landru was Dr. Landru, a FED scientist trying to create a perfect colony by using a device to create a kinda hive-mind with the citizens. He then destroyed the U.S.S. Archon that had taken him to the planet. Kirk and crew of course beat the supercomputer and save the people.

And then, after telling him he did a great job, Admiral Pike gets a call from someone who tells him that Kirk is digging into things he shouldn't, and that Pike better keep him on a short lease or else. The prelude book for the movie has a similar, evil Admiral storyline.

I get it that in our current society, the idea of a large central gov't acting in the best interest of all is against everything we see on the news, but can't we at least IMAGINE a world where corruption isn't the norm?

Star Trek: Fight the Future
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Cool

As we are Dealing with a Reboot/Retelling of some of the original story information, I'm okay with the retelling. Kinda neat how they did it.

As to the Bit about the Admirals being corrupt...well....ever notice in Trek that the upper command are usually portrayed as creeps?

But yeah, lets have a Admiral that isn't a tosspot...oh...wait. They killed him.

Along with a good portion of SF Command in Frisco.....maybe we will get a better batch out of this
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Have none of you read Diane Carey's 1986 TOS novel Dreadnaught?

To paraphrase the great gamer Flynn, "The slime [barely] changed the names, man!

J.J. Abrams is no Ed Dillinger- mainly because he's not THAT creative.

This movie is recycled from 28-year-old novel coupled with J.J.Abrams petulant I'm-gonna-do-it-MY-way-just-because-I-like-breaking-other-people's-toys mentality.

Like so much of the first JJTrek, much of this film was done to deliberately piss off the die-hard Trekkers.

My first impulse was to compare Abrams to Irwin Allen, but in reality, Abrams is the Ed Wood of our generation.

Like those two "visionaries", people are going to look back and wonder how the hell Abrams got away with so much in his day.

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    Like those two "visionaries", people are going to look back and wonder how the hell Abrams got away with so much in his day.
    I'm there already.

In fact, I'm ready at this point to swear off seeing the next Star Wars movie because you-know-who is in the director's chair.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Ok, Selek, you had me up until this:

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    My first impulse was to compare Abrams to Irwin Allen, but in reality, Abrams is the Ed Wood of our generation.
    Ed Wood gave us such amazing stories as "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "Glen, or Glenda?" I don't think you can name me one thing Abrams has done that has been anywhere near as close to those mater pieces. Truly, Plan 9 is cinematic gold. So far Abrams has produced cinematic... hmm... copper.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Another thing that's bugging me is dragging out a classic character and using him as the antagonist just because he's a classic character. I see that in the rebooted comic universes: instead of the slow build of how bad people like Darkseid and Apocalypse are, for example, they just kinda show up and are bad, and you're supposed to know who they are and why they are bad (ok, so guys with names like Darkseid and Apocalypse probably aren't good, but you get the idea).

They could have just used Cumberbatch as some alien or maybe some original human character, used him the way that the Harrison character is used, and had similar results without having to do cartwheels with continuity/timeline/established characters.

Looks like I'll actually get to SEE it with my own eyes (once I get this mask off) this weekend.

I will wait with watching the movie until I can get it cheap on DVD. If I am doing something else at the same time, quite a few movies I hate at the cinema is completely acceptable at home. The first JJTrek was smack in the middle of this category.

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    I'm there already.

In fact, I'm ready at this point to swear off seeing the next Star Wars movie because you-know-who is in the director's chair.
    I felt the previous movie was quite a bit of "a Star Wars movie, reskinned as Star Trek." So perhaps the next Star Wars movie will be "Star Trek reskinned as Star wars".

I can only hope he screws up Star Wars too and a torch-wielding mob chases him out of LA.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    I will wait with watching the movie until I can get it cheap on DVD. If I am doing something else at the same time, quite a few movies I hate at the cinema is completely acceptable at home. The first JJTrek was smack in the middle of this category.

I felt the previous movie was quite a bit of "a Star Wars movie, reskinned as Star Trek." So perhaps the next Star Wars movie will be "Star Trek reskinned as Star wars".
    You said that, and then I remembered this (watch till the end; 2:24 is the applicable part)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OTfBH-XFdSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Tricky; 05-23-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Cause I want to!