Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: nuTrek II

I've never seen that before. THANKS! Hahaha
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    You said that, and then I remembered this (watch till the end; 2:24 is the applicable part)
    That one really nails the essence of the movie

I am assuming we are allowed to talk about spoilers...

Okay that's enough space...

What the hell was that!??!??!

They can transport from Earth to the Klingon Homeworld instantaneously?

Well I guess that makes sense since warp speeds are almost instantaneous anyways.

Oh I also love that the can fire photo torpedoes from the BORDER and hit the Klingon world!

Why do they bother building ships!?!??!?

Oh and I just LOVE that they now have a magic "heal anyone immortality" serum thanks to Khanberpatch's blood!

WTF!!?!??!?!

This was a giant piece of NOT Star Trek and total crap!

Anyone else love their new facist dress uniforms, complete with train engineer hats?

Le sigh...
    Last edited by AslanC; 05-24-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Still waiting to see it, but one of the things I've heard is that they

thaw Kahn out
    to build weapons for them?

Isn't that like me having the Red Baron design the next generation of drones? Once again, this character could have been an alien or regular human genius of something more contemporary, and still worked. Hell, I just had an idea and it somehow feels better than the hoops they had to jump through: If Sporks knowledge of the Prime timeline gave them this idea, rather than reaching to the past, what if they found a way to get a Mirror Universe person to be their contractor of evil?

You'd get a human guy, motivated to destroy aliens/enemies (I mean, in his world they're all slaves or dead, so he'd probably want to do it all over again), who would have knowledge of Earth, and possibly of their version of Star Fleet. He might even know their Kirk and Spock; wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for them, a guy who knows them better than they know themselves? Oh well, I feel Hollywood stealing this idea from my brain, so I should stop before......what was I saying?

Yeah, i'd have to agree with most of what they said; I did like it, and I know the 'masses' will love it, because it's star trek with action!!!
    But the plot really doesn't hold together, and there are some glaring logic errors in lots of places (did Kirk really think Admiral Robocop was going to let his crew go? He just admitted to breaking FED law and already threatened to kill them all. Hell, his plan was that they all die at the end of Klingon disruptors anyway.), and the way they shoehorn in Classic Trek references is so bloody awkward. Like I said above, they do that in rebooted comics all the time.

And those guys in that video have a point about star trek 3 (or 11?): they will HAVE to do the Borg, because that's one of the other things people know about Star Trek.

So say hello to Megan Fox as the Borg Queen!

I want Trek to make money. I don't want Paramount to keep pulling the plug on it. Honestly, after the Kre-O/failed video game/box office dud in the making status of the new Trek film, I kind of don't want Paramount in charge of it anymore.

then there's JJ Abrams.

Love the intensity he puts into Star Trek. I like that it can reach out and grab new fans, but to him it's a dodge or a hustle. It's not real to him. It's not a worldview and that translates on screen. I really do believe that a new take on Kirk and Spock is what Star Trek needs. We need to feel that sense of optimism and believe in these characters like any other modern mythology; they have something to teach us. Unfortunately Paramount kind of got stuck with this. Star Trek is now reduced to three films; three blockbuster action flicks meant to be no more intelligent than the next MARVEL popcorn superhero flick. That's depressing.

I don't like Paramount's role in this and I'm liking JJ less and less. I don't care about canon. It should be broken and remade for new audiences if you ask me. Kirk and Spock should be redefined and the way Star Trek speaks to us should be likewise redefined... but not like this. Into Darkness was pretty fun, but that's all it was. I miss the Star Trek that reaches deep for something imaginative and I would have loved *that* reboot. Now that the second one is... under performing (whatever that means in Hollywood these days), it's even harder to deal with. I think Star Trek is probably dying again.

Can't wait to finally see the damn thing on Wednesday and allow myself to click on those spoiler tags.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to put them

Enjoy! Peter Weller was great.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

That literally made me laugh out loud: someone did similar 'reviews' of the last 2 Transformers movies which were just hilarious!

space whales. *nods*

Thumbs up

Finally seen it.

Really liked it. First time seeing a movie in IMAX 3D and it was worth it.

On my way to the cinema I was thinking. "If it's just Kahn that's a lot of fuss for something not SO inventive." But then I realized that it was quite nice to go see a movie and wonder about some things it contained. It was nice to have some mystery left.

Finally I just loved Kahn in that movie. I thought he made sense and Cumberwatch performance was top notch. It was despite the fact I was tired of seeing Cumberwatch face so often over the couple last years without actually seeing anything he did.

However JJ Abrams is a rather weird script writer.

Very precise, efficient and talented for some things.

I liked how he manages to have Scotty in different places and the use of the Marcus daughter.

...and then lazy? Uncaring? Dumb? Writing scenes just because he want THAT shot (like building the Enterprise on Earth just to have Kirk staring at it on his motorcycle in the Trek 2009)

Many things don't make sense at all. Transwarp teleportation all the way to Qo'Nos (just to show a couple Klingon. Nice but pointless.). The Enterprise hiding under the sea right under the nose of a pre-warp civilisation (why not a shuttle? Why so close? Why not from space? Why droping something in that volcano in another way than physically going there?

The scale of ships. I mean the dreadnought-class ship has a ridiculous scale (saucer diameter is like 5x the height of a Burj Kalifa skyscrapper?). It's gigantic but it's launching bay door is 5m wide? Why so big if it is empty of any crew (is there only one security guy in that thing?) and can be controlled by 4-5 crewmembers?

Regarding John Harrison/Cumberwatch:

Don't they teach history anymore? Nobody seems to have heard about Kahn Noonien Singh. Usually I don't like exposition scenes but I would not have minded some explanations about him for non trekkies. My girlfriend and the friend (a player from my Starfleet Academy campaign) had not clue about who was that guy. Not much is said about what a horrible genocidal tyrant he is.

However at the end of the day it doesn't matter so much. It is slightly weird/frustrating but it is fun. The character are nice.

Starfleet values are not so badly played with: Prime Directive, peaceful mission...
    . In any case it doesn't make less sense than something like Dark Knight Rise.

Conclusion:
    1) Go see it
    2) I can't wait to see the next one
    3) I am curious about what is gonna happen to Star Wars.
    Last edited by Kalum666; 05-30-2013 at 07:22 AM.

My opinion on the movie is this:

As a pop corn action flick it was great.

As a Sci-Fi movie it was alright.

As a Star Trek movie it was horrible.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

I don't want to make enemies around here but...

...is actually Star Trek "good" movie material?

When I write "good" I don't mean what I consider good/interesting but what current producers can manage/pull off (and that is quite limited).

I love Star Trek for IDIC, for the first black and white kiss on TV, for depicting an alternate society that has moved beyond profit. Recently I saw "The Outcast" episode of TNG and found it great. "Let that be our battlefield" is also what Star Trek is about for me.

It would be great to have a Star Trek movie that would be more about such things rather than action/save the day/Enterprise blows up.

I think Star Trek belongs to TV.

There have been many great TV shows over the last decade. I hope we'll see another Star Trek TV show that will push further what you can address in a TV show and that challenges our vision of society. I don't think I will ever see that in a cinema.