Page 1 of 246 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Be a winner!

Be a winner!

Lets see how this works here (feel free to discuss any topic, serious or otherwise, in this thread). There is no topic at all so no-one can be accused of going OT by anyone else.

Last person to post wins!

Btw - this thread was started on RPG net and is currently at 1625 pages long with 16245 posts - since the 2nd of October 2003 - I kid you not.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33709
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

What!?!

15 views and no-one yet has joined the fun?

Where's your sense of fun?

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Completely different atmosphere here than on RPG.net's Tangency. I don't expect this thread to do real well.

Assuming it doesn't get closed outright; it's real sole purpose is to pad post counts, after all.

I tend to agree with Ineti. OTOH, I think that a starting theme could be more interesting, or maybe a game, like the Sci Fi episode name game we played last year (or was it last year ? I don't remember well).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Ineti
    Completely different atmosphere here than on RPG.net's Tangency.
    Yes, over here we're slightly more mature, less likely to play these games.

Resisting the urge to say you're all miserable.

Ineti - I don't give a flying **** about my post count because there is nothing to be gained by having a high count. Those that think that it's a competition with some pot of gold when they reach the top need to get out more.

The Anti-social - Nothing to do with maturity. It's called trying to inject an air of lighthearted fun into a board which seems to be festering in a quagmire of apathy and sniping (not that unlike RPG.net afterall).

At least C5 has pointed out what kind of threads used to occur on these boards - this thread was obviously a misguided (on my part) attempt to restore some semblance of humour and fun that appears to have been sadly missing for some time. As Liz and Styro pointed out on another thread (oddly enough a thread that is pretty pointless but fun nonetheless and currently has more posts on it than any other thread currently active -although I'm sure a large number of people on these boards object to the presence of such a thread).

People used to enjoy these types threads. Fun was had. If you look in the archives there were a copious number of threads where people were obviously having fun.

Now the general air of apathy on these boards to anything and everything that may construed as fun is just plain depressing. I've hung around hoping that these is just a phase the boards are going through and that there may be a resurgance of fun. If the reaction to this attempt on my behalf to resurrect some semblance of fun is any indication of the attitudes of people on here then I must question whether this is a community I want to be associated with.
    Last edited by JonA; 11-25-2003 at 04:05 AM.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Originally posted by JonA
    Resisting the urge to say you're all miserable.

But somehow this sentence conveys that message.

Ineti - I don't give a flying **** about my post count because there is nothing to be gained by having a high count. Those that think that it's a competition with some pot of gold when they reach the top need to get out more.

The Anti-social - Nothing to do with maturity. It's called trying to inject an air of lighthearted fun into a board which seems to be festering in a quagmire of apathy and sniping (not that unlike RPG.net afterall).

I don't think Antisocial's comment was meant personal in any way. At least I get through life very well with this attitude.

At least C5 has pointed out what kind of threads used to occur on these boards - this thread was obviously a misguided (on my part) attempt to restore some semblance of humour and fun that appears to have been sadly missing for some time. As Liz and Styro pointed out on another thread (oddly enough a thread that is pretty pointless but fun nonetheless and currently has more posts on it than any other thread currently active -although I'm sure a large number of people on these boards object to the presence of such a thread).

People used to enjoy these types threads. Fun was had. If you look in the archives there were a copious number of threads where people were obviously having fun.

I think we still have. Maybe we just don't need more than one of this kind of thread going on at the same time and what's more important, the fun usually developed over time. Simply switching the lever to "fun mode" probably never worked.
    Besides, fun doesn't necessarily mean running wild. I find on-topic discussions to be quite entertaining as well.

Now the general air of apathy on these boards to anything and everything that may construed as fun is just plain depressing. I've hung around hoping that these is just a phase the boards are going through and that there may be a resurgance of fun. If the reaction to this attempt on my behalf to resurrect some semblance of fun is any indication of the attitudes of people on here then I must question whether this is a community I want to be associated with.

So what? Usually I wouldn't confront anyone like this but I am really curious about what you are planning to do next. Do you always question your relationship to "a community" once you disagree with some members of it?
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Originally posted by Ergi
    I don't think Antisocial's comment was meant personal in any way. At least I get through life very well with this attitude.

Not how it reads. He's basically implying that those who find these types of amusing diversions enjoyable (for example people on Tangency on RPG.net) is immature.

I think we still have. Maybe we just don't need more than one of this kind of thread going on at the same time and what's more important, the fun usually developed over time. Simply switching the lever to "fun mode" probably never worked.
    Besides, fun doesn't necessarily mean running wild. I find on-topic discussions to be quite entertaining as well.
    As do I. But theres room enough on these forums for fun and serious discussion. We're all adults here. I'm sure we're more than capable of differentiating between the two and participating in more than one thread. Since when was a moratorium issued on this forum for having a bit of fun and banter? Whats the problem with having a couple of light hearted threads running? I was under the impression that these forums aren't the sole domain of the discussions of a deep and meaningful discussion. When I first joined (not long ago either) the boards were a lot more fun than they are right now.

So what? Usually I wouldn't confront anyone like this but I am really curious about what you are planning to do next. Do you always question your relationship to "a community" once you disagree with some members of it?
    I do when the responses I receive are all in the negative and are atypical of the attitudes of a majority of the users on this forum at present. When in the past this sort of thing would probably have been readily accepted and enjoyed by one and all. Now it just feels you'd rather all get into intense debates of a heavy nature and not actually take time out to have a little fun. Thats what this thread is all about.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    With all due respect, JonA, it's this sort of overreaction from you that has you on my ignore list. You don't seem to want to accept the fact that perhaps this thread just failed to capture enough interest, and nothing more.

Yes, the Antisocial was out of line with his comments, in my view. But, then, can you expect anything less from someone who chose the nickname "Antisocial"?

You had a fun and interesting thread going on the English World Cup win, which did take a life of its own and I was enjoying. And this one didn't work. Big deal.

Calm down, relax, and ignore the stupidity of comments like Antisocial's.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Does this mean I win? roflmao!! lol
    :

Originally posted by cherub
    Does this mean I win? roflmao!! lol
    :
    No. I win.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    No. I win.
    Darn it.

I take part..... Why can't I win?!

Originally posted by cherub
    Darn it.

I take part..... Why can't I win?!
    Because age and treachery always defeats youth and energy. At least England got the W.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz