Thread: Matt Smith Exiting Doctor Who

Matt Smith Exiting Doctor Who

The Doctor is out on Doctor Who.

Matt Smith, who plays the title role in the BBC series, will make his exit at the end of the year after starring in the show's 50th anniversary 3D special on Nov. 23 and the annual Christmas special, when he will regenerate.

Doctor Who Renewed for Season 8

"Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show," Smith said in a statement. "I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one.' But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."

Is Doctor Who racist?

Added executive producer Steven Moffat: "This isn't the end of the story, because now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become The Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that's still so exciting!"

Last month, Doctor Who was renewed for an eighth season.

Will you miss Smith as the Doctor? Who do you think should replace him?

I for one was hoping for Matt to stay for season . I liked his take on the Doctor.

I like Matt as well and I was hoping to see him in 2014. I had my doubts about him at first but he actually managed to win me over in his first few seconds after the regeneration.
    However, having watched not only the new series but a few of the seasons of the original show (all of the 4th and 5th Doctors, a bit of 3rd and 6th), I'm confident that I will probably spend the first few minutes watching the next actor wondering what that guy does dressed as the Doctor, then embrace him as the new incarnation of our beloved madman with a box.

BTW I have to say I'm surprised at the echo that news got - they even mentioned it in a French newspaper (the country where journalists seem to think science fiction is Star Wars and some other dorky series no sound person would want to watch).

Now if the next Doctor could be a woman, that would be an awesome change.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

They need to get David Tennant back, or at least someone as good. I hated Smith, not the least because he just looks goofy... or was that looks like Goofy?

The next Doctor should be a Dalek.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

A woman or a minority, enough white guys

Ginger. The next Doctor should be ginger. Being a redhead myself I'm allowed to say so ;-)

My money is on Ben Miller, though. Him quitting his very nicely done and well recieved criminal series Death in Paradise at roughly the same point of time that Mr. Smith decides to depart, is enough for me to speculate on.

I liked Tennant more than Smith, but I suspect that I liked Russel T. David's way of telling a Who-story better.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I enjoyed Smith's tenure as the Doctor, though I enjoyed Tennant's more. I also enjoyed the stories and story arcs themselves (don't have an opinion between RTD and Moffatt). I think I would've liked to see Smith go one series more, but three series seems par for the course, really (wouldn't put my money on another seven-year tenure like Tom Baker).

I would like to see an actor in the 35-50 year-old range step into the role...maybe give the Doctor back some of the gravitas of his first or third incarnations.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    BTW I have to say I'm surprised at the echo that news got - they even mentioned it in a French newspaper (the country where journalists seem to think science fiction is Star Wars and some other dorky series no sound person would want to watch).
    That might start changing if Les Revenants takes off, its already been renewed for a second series, and a weekl;y Zombie Drama... Hell, I am looking forward to it.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

And it has been revealed

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

For once I find myself looking at the promotion picture and having no doubts whatsoever at the ability of the new actor to be a convincing Doctor.

Maybe because the first Doctor I watched was Jon Pertwee, so an older Doctor is quite fine by me.
    Still, I would love to see a woman Doctor sometimes, and not in a joke episode.

Keeping the spoilers on, but, given that the news was on Wikipedia's main page for a while, I doubt anyone will manage to ignore the new actor's identity until Christmas.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

He can't do worse than Matt Smith, who has in my mind long since overstayed his welcome. Worst Doctor ever.

At least the new guy looks like a Doctor - and what do you mean older? He's a year younger than me... If they were to get any younger than Smith, we'd be seeing Harry Potter as the Doctor.

Actually Owen, I was referring to the fact that he's apparently the oldest actor, along with William Hartnell, to have been given the role of the Doctor.
    So he's older than most Doctors, including those you like
    Terry Pratchett

Yes, I knew what you meant. Just saying that he's not that old. Hartnell was made up to look older than he really was. Besides, the Doctor's supposed to be 1200 years old - it gets pretty silly having him played by someone in his 20's. John Hurt, who'll be playing the Doctor in the 50th anniversary special, is 73 which makes them all look like raw cadets.