Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Star Trek

That's a thought I'd had many times watching TOS: what's happening on the other ships? Who's making first contact with a cool new species? Who's discovering secrets of some lost civilization? Who's sticking it to the Klingons and/or the Romulans?

If you watch some of the TOS episodes, something else seems to be there too: Ever notice that it doesn't sound like the Enterprise is the best ship, or that Kirk is the best Captain? No one's ever like "Oh wow, Kirk, captain of the best ship in the fleet is here!", but more like "Oh finally! they sent someone! fix this!"; it's almost like they are just some space rent-a-cops that HAPPENED to discover a threat to the galaxy, and got lucky stopping it. In that regard, he's less this:

And more this:

Kirk's exploits should be more realistically defined. I agree. That was also a major problem I had with Enterprise. Archer ended up out-Kirking Kirk; doing everything first and stealing pretty much all the thunder from JTK's repertoire. It looks even sillier when Archer gets to do it. Probably nobody should get that much of a share of history.

Keep the five year mission. Keep Khan, Gary Mitchell, Balance of Terror, and a handful of classic episodes in there. Then jump ahead to the films.

Actually, V'ger and the plot of TMP would IMO make a cool finale to the five year mission. Switch up some details to place it during the five year period.

I think I remember hearing that the planned Paramount Network in the 70's was going to have Trek II, about the continuing adventures of Kirk and the Enterprise.
    The V'Ger plot from TMP, The Pilot for NG and I think Devil's Due from NG were all originally written for this show that was supposed to be on the 4th Network in the 70's.

yep. I have heard that and it's probably the right way to go in an "ultimate" take since really TMP was more of an overblown episode than a worthwhile movie. I say that with regard to most other people, but to me personally I think it's wonderful. I just wish they had the opportunity to include that lost scene of the Klingon ships being spat back out of the cloud at Enterprise. Some kind of big action scene would have really helped that movie out.

This is true. It would have been built aroud Phase II as its flagship show. When it finally happened 20 years later, in the form of UPN, it disappointed. It did give us Trek, in the form of Voyager and Enterprise, but rapidly grew away from SF in favour of rasslin' and Hip-hop oriented shows - which is really why Enterprise was cannedn o matter how well season 4 went. They knew that going into season 4.

Aslan, forgot to mention how much I love your take on Klingons. The movie Klingons (well, 3-6) were kinda the best of all words: cunning, aggressive and smart, but just different enough to keep them interesting. Gone is that crazy @$$ honor system that seemed to contradict itself more than it worked as a philosophy. I aways wondered why Klingon warriors wanted to 'avenge' a fallen comrade, especially one who fell in battle; isn't that they POINT of being a warrior? If it happened in battler, shouldn't they send a nice thank you card to their friends killer for giving their friend a place in Stov`vacor? They take no prisoners, but always seem to take prisoners. And they never let themselves be taken prisoner, but despite being almost always armed with at least a knife, they never commit suicide to prevent capture, or at least make a suicide charge against their opponent.

Thanks for the kind words, more stuff to come ... just dealing with some real life.