Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad occasion

Sad occasion

My Dad passed away on Thursday night, surrounded by family and holding hands with my Mom. He went peacefully, and was awake and aware to the end. They played a march on the CD player and his hand twitched in time as if he was beating a bass drum (he'd been a bass drummer in the Salvation Army for 37-38 years) and tapping his foot. At the end, he just slipped away peacefully. Can't hope to go out any better. He'd been sick for years and had been in a nursing home for a year and a week. My Mom has an apartment in the Independent Seniors' Residence on the same property and my sister is a nurse in the hospital nearby (attached by a tunnel) so they were able to visit him daily. He was 78. He had 8 children (6 the old-fashioned way and adopted 2 grandchildren), 14 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren (+1 on the way this fall) - a great legacy.

I just got back from going down for two days for the funeral. He was buried in his Salvation Army uniform with his RCAF service ribbons and holding hi bass drum mallet. The service was beautiful and we had a nice reception which was a real celebration of his life. He'll be missed by everyone who knew him. Love you Dad.

In memory MCpl George Edward Oulton CD -- May 6, 1935 to July 20 2013.

My condolences.

Surrounded by loved ones and slipping away peacefully; truly sounds as a good way to pass on.

Much love to you and yours, Owen.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

My condolences, Owen.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

My best thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this time and hope the Lord comfort you in the times to come.
    Its me Eric R.

Sad to hear that, Owen.
    Thinking of you & yours.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

A life well-lived and well-loved is nothing to be sad about, nor should its ending be. It sounds to me like what he had, and I'll be you knew that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Condolences to you and your family, Owen.

Lost my own Dad three years ago, so know where you are coming from. Keep his memory in your mind and heart, and look after your Mum especially. Good memories are always to be treasured.

Mark
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

A sad moment, but as you said, I can't think of a better way to go.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Sorry for your loss, Owen. Your father sounds like a good man who touched many lives for the better, which in my humble opinion is a goal to strive for.

My condolences for your loss, Owen

Owen,

I want to offer my deepest condolences on your loss, and my sincere gratitude that he was able to go in peace and dignity.

My great-uncle was Major Walt Winters of the Salvation Army. Although I am not a member of that particular faith, I am grateful for his service- and for that of your father.

Rest well, Brother Oulton; you stand relieved.

My grandfather passed the same way; Mom still says that was the most peaceful thing she ever saw. We should all be so lucky.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

My thoughts are with you and your family, Owen.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Your father leaves behind a wonderful legacy of family and service. That's certainly a life worth celebrating.

My deepest sympathies on your loss, Owen. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz