Thread: Star Trek Attack Wing

Star Trek Attack Wing

I love the abstract star ship combat rules but I like to use miniatures and a representation of the battle field. So I would love to use the Star Trek Attack wing game to do so. It's a big work but I think it will pay off. These are the topics that I need to convert (and what I've got so far), any insight or help is more than welcome.

Initiative and round sequence (and higher levels of success)
    Firing ranges
    Beam weapons Firing Arc
    Missile weapons Firing Arc
    Star Ship Actions Allowance
    Maneuver Templates (and there System ops Difficulty nr to execute.)
    Star Ship Maneuvers

Initiative and round sequence:
    Use the initiative rules as normal but use the following rules to determine the effects of higher levels of success. Superior success the opponent must reveal the direction where his ship is going to move but not the template he is going to use. With an extra-ordinary success, the opponent needs to say witch template he is going to use. The starship with the lowest initiative acts first on during the Starship movement phase and act last during the Action Phase
    1 round is devided in 3 phases
    1) Initiative
    2) Starship Movement (can only perform the move action and the full stop
    maneuvers)
    3) Action Phase

Firing ranges:
    Point Blank = the bases of the ships are touching.
    Short, Medium, and long range = use the range bar.
    Extended = Make an extention of the range bar (1 extra Range).

Beam Weapons Firing Arc:
    When you purchase beam weapons you must buy for each fire arc and calculate the offense value for each fire arc. There are 3 arcs 0°-90°, 91°-270°, and finally 271°-360°
    Example: The USS Voyager has 4 type X phasers. You invest 2 in the front 90° angle (penetration 4/4/4), then 1 in the 91°-270° angle (4/3/3), and finally 1 in the 270°-360° angle (4/3/3)

You may only fire in when a vessel is in your fire arc.

Missile Weapon Fire Arc:
    Missile weapons are self-guided and they do not suffer from a firing arc. The downfall is that they need a target lock to fire.

Star Ship Actions Allowance:
    2 actions, but the movement of the ship is not considered an action for the ship but it is one for the pilot.

Star Ship Maneuvers:
    Remove the following maneuvers = Close, Come about, open, Disengage (see new maneuver Warp away), hard about, match speed, Z-axis, Cochrane deceleration, evasive attack, Fast attack, Full attack, Immelmann turn, Picard maneuver (See new Picard Maneuver).

New Maneuvers: Dodge, Move, Captains Insight, Picard Maneuver, Warp Away.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Nice idea. I haven't picked up the game yet but i'll be sure to pitch in when I have and see if I can help out.

Thx , looking forward to your input.

Here is a new idea on the Beam weapon fire arc

Beam Weapon Firing Arc

1 BW - 90° Front Firing Arc (full offense value)
    2 BW - 180° Firing Arc (90° Front firing arc full offense value / all above ½ offense value)
    3 BW -270 ° Firing Arc (90° Front firing arc full offense value / all above ½ offense value)
    4 BW - 360° Firing Arc (90° Front firing arc full offense value / all above ½ offense value)
    5 BW - 360° Firing Arc (180° Front firing arc full offense value / all above ½ offense value)
    6 BW - 360° Firing Arc (270° Front firing arc full offense value / all above ½ offense value)
    7 BW - True 360° Firing Arc (360° firing arc full offense value)

New starship Edges:

Reduced Firing Arc:
    Your firing arc is considered 1 beam weapon less for determining your fire arc.
    If you have only a 90° fire arc then the new fire arc becomes a 45° firing arc.

Enhanced Fire Arc:
    Your firing arc is considered 1 beam weapon more for determining your fire arc.

Here is a new go at the Beam weapon Firing Arcs

Divide the totale Offensive value of the beam weapons over the 4 Arcs
    1) Up to 90° Front Firing Arc (full offense value)
    2) 91°-180° Firing Arc
    3) 181°-270 ° Firing Arc
    4) 271°-360° Firing Arc

Add this to the List of Offense Value
    1-2 2/2/1/0/0
    3-4 2/2/2/0/0
    * 1 of the firing Arcs (usually the Front) must fall into a higher penetration value. If a vessel has a Multi Vector Assault mode, then the weapons split so you must follow the rule for each ship seperately.

Example 1: 2 Type V and 1 Type XII phaser
    Total Offensive Value 22
    Highest Offensive Value 11

0-90°: 4/3/3/0/0 (11)
    91°-180° 3/3/2/0/0 (6)
    181°-270° 2/2/2/0/0 (3)
    271°-360° 2/2/1/0/0 (2)

Example 2: 4 Type XII phasers
    Total Offensive Value 44
    Highest Offensive Value 11

0-90°: 4/4/4/0/0 (16)
    91°-180° 4/3/3/0/0 (10)
    181°-270° 3/3/2/0/0 (9)
    271°-360° 3/3/2/0/0 (9)

New Starship Edge
    Rotary Weapon System:
    You have weapon coverage in all the arcs.
    Benefit: You may divide the Offensive value evenly over all the arcs.
    Last edited by IKI; 09-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Here is my first doc on the Attack wing conversion.
    It is not finished yet. And we start play testing it the next session.
    I need a lot of feedback if possible?

Attack Wing.doc

I have glanced your document and I have to say from what I have seen I am impressed. Even though my group does not play Attack Wing they are a number of things in your document that I would like to use (particularly the maneuvers).

My group wants something like ship combat from STO.

Keep up the good work. Cannot wait until you are finished with it.
    Hodor !

IKI
    I have question in regards to one of your earlier works namely: Red Alert .
    The Formation Flying (H) maneuver; under Target: Choose which ships in the wing you are going to target, but one of the ships can voluntarily take the µ
    hit for another one.

What does this mean µ?
    Hodor !

I tested the Attack Wing combat system for Coda and it worked excellent. I just need to work out some details. I will update the file whn I have the time.

He Skree sorry to respond so late. Just remove the µ (see below). It just means that ships can take hits for other ones.
    Target: Choose which ships in the wing you are going to target, but one of the ships can voluntarily take the hit for another one.

I have been going through and collecting some of your stuff (ie ...First do no Harm Starfleet Medical Source, your House Rules, Red Alert, Attack Wing, etc..). I very much like what I see. Are you going to finish your House Rules, Starfleet Medical Source and Red Alert ?
    Hodor !

He skree I hope to finish them some day, but it's a ton of work. For the moment I'm working in that order.

1) Collection of house rules (my vieuw on CODA 2.0 / No classes).
    2) Expanded Combat (tested it in my group and it works perfect).
    3) Attack Wing (tested and works, just need to clear things out) / Red Allert combined file.
    4) Medical handbook.

I post them in the hope of getting feedback, but it doesn't happen much.

All ideas and info are more than welcome.

Lightbulb

IKI

I like the idea of trying to make starshio combat a little more tactical & I like the work you did so far. I do, however, have a question.

I understand why you would want to split the beam weapons into arcs, but the system as written in the books is supposed to take this into account and the penetration value shown is what can bear at any given time. Doesn't this prolong the combat as the modified penetration values will now have to penetrate a shield that has not been modified?

Additionally, what about ships like the Galaxy & Sovereign Classes that have at least 2 beam weapons that have a firing arc of 270 degrees?

I would suggest that if you keep the modification of beam weapons penetration, then perhaps shields should also be split between front and back or into the 4 arcs and modify their threshold ratings.

This however brings up a new issue, if the thresholds are modified, it alters their effectiveness against torpedoes.

I also have a suggestion on movement, have the speeds available to your ship in table 13 of your doc be based on the max speed of the impulse engine of the ship. IE, 0 to .2C- Speed 1, .21 to .4C - Spped 2, .41 to .6C Speed 3, ECT..

Thoughts?