Thread: Multi-Vector Assault Mode?

Multi-Vector Assault Mode?

Ive a couple of questions regarding the MAM:

-Should you recalculate the reliability for the weapons and propulsion for each subship?
    -When the ships gets damaged and they are joined into one ship again:
    How do you calculate the total structure
    Example the all the subships of the prometheus have lost 20 damage. when they are joined how much of the structure is left?

When they all ships have system damage and they are joined what happens?
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Page 11 of Starships seems to indicate that, yes, you base a sub-ship's reliability solely on that sub-ship's equipment (2nd Paragraph of "Effects" section of Multivector Assault Mode, where it says each sub-ship receives its own damage and shield tracks).

The fourth and last paragraph of the "Effects" section of Multivector Assault Mode expressly indicates that, when the separated sub-ships rejoin the main ship, you subtract the sum of structural damage of the individual sub-ships from the main ship's structure, and apply the resulting effects normally.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thx Sea Tyger, must have missed it.
    There is just 1 problem:
    Lets assume each subship gets 20 points of damage and they join together:
    Together thats 60 points of damage and the joined Prometheus has only 40 structure so it is destroyed when joined.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

I think, in that instance, that the sub-ships have sustained too much damage to rejoin.

Or, you could rule that, when a ship recombines after its sub-ships have taken more damage than the total structure of the overall vessel, the ship has only 1 structure point remaining (or, you can say only 10%, rounding up, if you want to be generous).

Or, you could make a house rule to say that damage is taken from the overall ship's structure based on a percentage of the sub-ship's structure receiving damage. For example, the Prometheus' three sub-ships each have 30 structure. So, they each represent roughly one-third of the overall ship structure when recombined (or, about 13-1/3 structure each, but I think it would be easier to deal with adding percentages). Anyway, each sub-ship takes 20 points of structure damage vs. the 30 it has, or two-thirds. Two-thirds of one-third is two-ninths, or about 22.22%. Add the three together, and you have 66.66% percent damage, which is 26.6664, rounding off to 27. So, the Prometheus recombines and has 13 structure remaining, taking five hits to the system damage track as a result.

I prefer the first choice, as it offers more roleplaying opportunities and adds to the drama of the episode.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 09-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Sounds like the system is seriously broken. If I understand correctly, building ships is a point-build where structure points represent how much space there is on a ship. How, then, can the three sub-ships have more structure than the whole ship? Sounds like you've got a seriously poorly designed ships system.

No, structure is not representative of the amount of space you have on the ship. That's called, appropriately enough, "Space." Structure represents how much damage a ship can withstand before breaking up due to loss of structural integrity, and is a function of the ship's size (which is derived from the physical dimensions of the ship...i.e., length, beam, height). Structure can be traded for space and vice versa, representing either sacrificing survivability for capability, or capability for survivability, but it is not, in and of itself, representative of the ship's volume.

In the case of the Prometheus, the combined ship is Size 7, with ablative armor providing an additional 5 points of structure over the base 35. Each sub-ship is calculated to be Size 5, also with ablative armor. So, the combined ship has 40 Structure. When split into its three sub-ships, each has 30 Structure.

So, the Coda Starships system isn't "seriously broken." One rule -- which covers a rare system on a ship class that has been featured in a single episode and seen a total of three times on screen -- needs a clarification or a modification to fit it properly within the rest of the system.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

So, the Coda Starships system isn't "seriously broken." One rule -- which covers a rare system on a ship class that has been featured in a single episode and seen a total of three times on screen -- needs a clarification or a modification to fit it properly within the rest of the system.

@SeaTyger: How would you write a clarification/modification for this rule?
    Hodor !

@SeaTyger:
    Maybe (like myself about the Prototype Trait ) that you could do a article/monograph about the Multivector Assault Mode.
    Hodor !