Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More ideas from Tricky's brain...

Which GURPS book had the 2700-year-old Roman Empire in it? I think that one might be fun to use with Trek.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Just thinking about parallel universes from that other thread got me to thinking about a "fan-favourite" universe where the FASA/Ford Klingons, the Duane Rihanssu and the Kzinti are all present. Could be interesting, though not to my taste, but a very valid take on Trek gaming in the TOS movie era...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Which GURPS book had the 2700-year-old Roman Empire in it? I think that one might be fun to use with Trek.
    I've lost most of my GURPS books, but this does make me think of a couple of old "Pyramid" magazine articles I've kept. They cover alternate realities that can be reached by a "conveyor" system, and includes worlds where the Moon gets pulverised by a rogue asteroid in the Middle Ages, the 'Gernsback Effect' where 30s pulp becomes super-technology, and a reality intriguingly called 'Macedonian-Weird'...

The Fissure ripples with energy as a ship slowly emerges into normal space. The elegant ship with 3 warp nacelles, a stunning white saucer section trimmed in gold, and bright flags and symbols painted upon it's hull. The universal translator decodes them as a language descended from Roman as the ship hails the station. "Attention aliens! I am Trierarchus Marcus Antonius of the Stella Navis Inceptum , representing the Stella Republica. Declare your intentions toward my vessel or I will be forced to enter into battle. A battle you will not win, I'd wager."
    I bet these guys would LOVE Romulans....

I think it would be funny if an Epicurean actually met Apollo.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

"A language descended form Roman..."? Er, uh, that would be Latin...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    "A language descended form Roman..."? Er, uh, that would be Latin...
    "Who here speaks Occitan?"

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    "A language descended form Roman..."? Er, uh, that would be Latin.."
    "Who here speaks Occitan?"
    ...or Walloon, French , Italian, Catalan, Romanian, Portuguese, Castillan...

It probably wouldn't matter all that much... the UT would lip-synch the English translation perfectly...

That's nothing—it apparently translates computer operating systems readouts too!

That's nothing—it apparently translates computer operating systems readouts too!
    True, very true. I can't help but recall the Voyager episode where B'Elanna gets taken prisoner by the Vidiians... slips away for 10, maybe 15 seconds... gets a quick peek at a computer display... and is somehow able to read their script, access their mainframe, and learn all about their base.

Wow. I'm doing well if I can navigate Wikipedia...

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    True, very true. I can't help but recall the Voyager episode where B'Elanna gets taken prisoner by the Vidiians... slips away for 10, maybe 15 seconds... gets a quick peek at a computer display... and is somehow able to read their script, access their mainframe, and learn all about their base.

Wow. I'm doing well if I can navigate Wikipedia...
    I'm torn between just accepting it as a genre conceit, and instead taking it to the logical conclusion that no really the neural UT hookup is capable of analyzing and translating computer readouts.

At least in Generations they used a translation mode on Soran's computer. Too bad sometimes the writers got real lazy during the course of a series.