Thread: New Campaign.. Where to start

New Campaign.. Where to start

Hey just wondering what everyone's favorite era would be? which core book do you go to first for starting a game (Rules wise)?

I only ask because its been years since I played, and it seems not many people play LUG ST anymore.. these forums show not a lot of activity for it.

Anyhow. Basically I have a bunch of people interested in playing and I have FASA and LUG books. I have TOS, TNG and DS9 for LUG and I like playing that a lot more.

If your players are up for it, try playing a campaign set just pre-TOS, say about 2260. That could be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    If your players are up for it, try playing a campaign set just pre-TOS, say about 2260. That could be a lot of fun.
    Pre-TOS? Hmmm.. I don't know. Sadly my players interested are only interested because of the JJ movies.. One of them has seen TNG and was a casual watcher. Most of the players enjoyed Enterprise or at least remember it.

It's sad to say with no Trek on TV in prime time slots, Trek is becoming a faded interest.

We need a TV Show!

Well, we have a series and episode seed thread, in the Narrators room to help you come up with a story/plot. There's even a 'roleplaying an Abrahmsverse game' thread around here somewhere. And I have all kinds of crazy trek based ideas that I post here; feel free to steal from my brain (God knows Hollywood does).

Do your players want a JJ themed game, or are they going to accept that there is usually some thought in Star Trek? ("sure, you broke the rules and we were going to kick you out, but you stopped a bad guy after he killed a billion people, so have command of our finest ship instead")

I myself liked the NG era, but I did like Enterprise a lot.

Sadly, a new Trek show would almost HAVE to be connected to the Abrams universe. No studio exec would green light it without having the big budget movie tie in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Sadly, a new Trek show would almost HAVE to be connected to the Abrams universe. No studio exec would green light it without having the big budget movie tie in.
    If that connection isn't a shared actor, I can't see them giving a crap about canonicity issues or whatever.

OT, just use whatever era you want to run the most—it doesn't sound like any of your other players give a crap otherwise.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Yeah. I thinking about using the TNG Era, and throwing them in the far Delta Quad and just do things there. They don't seem to be ones for following cannon or worried about if they make the wrong decision, how it will effect this or that.

So which book out of the three do you all go to for just rules.. I know they are pretty much the same as far as rules go. But you know how sometimes the later books have certain mechanics cleaned up from the first book. (Example would be the Eden Studios Buffy Game.. The Buffy Revised Core book cleaned up the Core book, and then the Angel Game cleaned up anything in question for the Buffy Game, as well as the Army of Darkness cleaned up any rules people had in question. All three books use the same rules set..)

If there was cleaning up done (which I don't quite recall) then the DS9 book would therefore be the one to go to.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

As for what books to use, start with the TNG core book and player's guide, as it was the first one put out. Most other eras can be extrapolated from there, and if you don't have access to the core books, there is enough fan made material accessible here if you do a search that we can fill in those gaps.
    For background, The Price of Freedom, may also help but is not a necessity.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    As for what books to use, start with the TNG core book and player's guide, as it was the first one put out. Most other eras can be extrapolated from there, and if you don't have access to the core books, there is enough fan made material accessible here if you do a search that we can fill in those gaps.
    For background, The Price of Freedom, may also help but is not a necessity.
    I have all the books in the line, I was just curious if one of them had better information rules wise...

Thanks!

Little update.. My group decided they want a TOS game and one of my friends asked if they could serve on the ship of the guy from the giant flying plant killer... I instantly said the Constellation? And commodore Decker?

They all agreed they like it.. Now to dig up stuff on the ship and Decker... Anyone have any tips or info on him and the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
    Little update.. My group decided they want a TOS game and one of my friends asked if they could serve on the ship of the guy from the giant flying plant killer... I instantly said the Constellation? And commodore Decker?

They all agreed they like it.. Now to dig up stuff on the ship and Decker... Anyone have any tips or info on him and the ship?
    Do they know that if their characters aren't reassigned from the fatal mission against the planet killer, that they're destined to die!?!

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Do they know that if their characters aren't reassigned from the fatal mission against the planet killer, that they're destined to die!?!
    I'd hope so.. But you have to think the ship had a few years before that happened

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
    I'd hope so.. But you have to think the ship had a few years before that happened
    "So we have two engineers, a communications officer and a security officer..."

They can stay, but the Ferengi in the gorilla suit has to go...

-Took Data 7 years to get that one...