Thread: Star Trek Attack Wing

Star Trek Attack Wing

I'm now playing the star trek Attack wing board game and I like it a lot (http://wizkidsgames.com/startrek/star-trek-attack-wing/). After playing it for a while I converted it for use with the CODA system (http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=16635). It plays rather well, but it doesn't offer all of the card options available in this game. So I came up with the thought to create an RPG game using the Star Trek Attack Wing Mechanics. Any thoughts, ideas, or help are more than welcome. This is what I got so far. STAR TREK AW RPG.doc.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

The internet is such a small place

Good luck with the effort!
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Are there any more players of Star Trek Attack Wing here?

I've fallen victim to it and have a somewhat big collection that sees regular play with my gaming friends
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

My wife and I were really big Attack Wing players for a while. I was one of the top players in San Antonio for the Dominion War and the Collective organized play campaigns before my new work schedule kept me from playing. My wife is probably even better than I am, but quickly made the jump from player to tournament organizer (she likes being the one in charge ) and only recently resigned a few months ago.

Anyway, she and I came up with a modified version of the Attack Wing system for RPG starship combat that works fairly well. We're still fleshing it out and ironing out the bugs, but we tested it in my TOS-era campaign for the first time recently and are very happy with how well it worked. I'll share the modifications here and am interested in any insights or feedback any of you may have. Keep in mind we're using the ICON system as presented in the LUG TOS core rulebook.

• Captain, admiral, and crew cards are eliminated. Instead, ships are captained and crewed by players and NPCs.
    • Movement dials are eliminated. Instead, each ship captain declares their maneuver when it is time for that ship to move during the movement phase. Also, pre-measuring is allowed (this makes it more fair and engaging for players who aren't tactical miniatures gamers).
    • Instead of actions as described in the Attack Wing rules, during the activation phase each crew member can take one of various actions according to the station the crew member is manning. The following are actions for specific stations.

Command
      --command (starship) skill test of at least 7 (increase for more chaotic situations) to give another player an extra action.

Engineering
      --may remove one Disabled token.
      or
      --Repair inoperative system--engineering, systems (affected system) skill test of 7 (may need to be adjusted based on situation)
      or
      --Repair/boost shield--engineering, systems (shields) skill test of 7 will either repair a damaged shield or add an extra temporary shield token to full shields. A critical success for repairing damaged shields will also add an extra temporary shield token. Temporary shield tokens are removed at the end of the round.

Helm
      --Evasive Maneuvers--shipboard systems (helm) skill test of 9 - range (1, 2, or 3) of closest enemy ship that has the players' ship within its firing arc to place an Evasive Maneuvers token. A free Battlestations token may be awarded for a critical success.

Science
      --Scan--shipboard systems (sensors) skill test of 4 + range (1, 2, or 3) of closest enemy ship to place a Scan token. A free Battlestations token may be awarded for a critical success.

Security
      --Transporter/Boarding party--shields must be down first. may transport objects or personnel to or from open space or unshielded ships within range 1.

Tactical
      --Target Lock--shipboard systems (sensors) skill test of 3 + range (1, 2, or 3) of target ship + (1 if target ship speed is 3 or higher) to place a Target Lock token. A free Battlestations token may be awarded for a critical success.
      or
      --Lower Shields. Shields may automatically be raised at the end of the round as a free action.
    • Do not use the damage deck. Instead, use tokens, tallies, or markers to keep track of hits to the hull. No damage deck card text will be used at any time.
    • On any critical hits rolled with attack dice, one system is rendered inoperative instead of taking damage. To determine which system is rendered inoperative, roll a D6.
      1--Sensors--if inoperative, cannot perform Scan or Target Lock.
      2--Torpedo Launcher(s)--if inoperative, cannot fire torpedoes or launch probes.
      3--Phasers--if inoperative, cannot fire phasers.
      4--Transporter--if inoperative, cannot transport.
      5--Impulse Engines--if inoperative, cannot perform Evasive Maneuvers.
      6--Warp Engines--if inoperative, cannot move faster than 1.
    • When a ship would normally be destroyed, the narrator reserves the right to declare the ship "adrift" instead (this may save the players from an untimely demise).
    Last edited by Mr_Tricorder; 10-06-2015 at 09:46 AM.