Thread: Skills question for ICON

Skills question for ICON

Within the Shipboard Systems skill, what is the difference between Tactical and Weapon Systems?
    I figure that Tactical covers all offensive and defensive systems, but Weapon Systems is limited to only offensive systems. Why would a character take Weapon Systems, when Tactical covers operating both offensive and defensive systems? Is there something specific about the Weapon Systems specialization that gives a bonus?
    Last edited by JALU3; 03-24-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Please move to ICON section

DS9 core, pg 72, under "Tactical:"

Similar but more limited Specializations used by some species include Weapons Systems, Defense Systems, and Internal Security Systems.

So to answer your questions:

• Because their specific training gave them a specialty in Weapons as opposed to Weapons and Defenses as part of the same package.
    • From a character ability maximization standpoint, you should always take Tactical. It depends on how strictly the GM (and maybe the player) wants skills to model perceived differences in the game world.

Now, if they're taking a package that has Systems (Weapons Systems) and then also got Systems (Tactical) from another package, I feel it would make sense to fold them together under Tactical.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

TTK,
    Thanks, I didn't see that in the TNG core book. That clarifies things.

While I am at it, does anyone have access to all of the "Star Trek:The Lost Episodes" content?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I think I found most of it on the Wayback Machine—what're you looking for?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

In the Advantages and Disadvantages list there are a bunch sourced to the Steve Kenson's unpublished works. I was wondering if there was a way to get to those, so I can utilize them for my players, otherwise, without being able to read them, they have to be off limits to them.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Kenson's Lost Episodes apears to have disappeared, but I have them all saved to my HD. I'll see about putting them up on Memory: ICON. There's some good stuff in it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Kenson's Lost Episodes apears to have disappeared, but I have them all saved to my HD. I'll see about putting them up on Memory: ICON. There's some good stuff in it.
    That'd be cool if he let you put it up there.