Thread: Starfleet Captain Shafted For Doing His Job

Starfleet Captain Shafted For Doing His Job

Just a thought or two I thought I'd share with you folks.

I recently rewatched "Chain of Command" parts 1 & 2 from TNG and as I did, I realized that Edward Jellico has gotten a bad rap. He's been portrayed in novels as, for lack of a better term, a complete git. With the rewatch, I realized that Jellico's only crime and the only justification for Riker's insubordinate tantrums was quite simply that he wasn't Jean-Luc Picard.

Now I find myself just disappointed in the crew of the Enterprise for their behavior... *shrug*
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I agree. TBH I felt it quite clear that Jelico was the Antithisis of Picard, a more militaristic, disciplined, rule bound, style captain over Picards more relaxed explorer/scientist and (ironically to him) family building technique.

It does rather explain why Riker took so long to get a command of his own.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Word. I was disappointed, as well, especially with Riker.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I'd stick with Jellico personally. Might be a martinette, but at least he won't speechify me to death
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Every crew needs a little shake up now and then to keep them on their toes, and Jellico was just the right hardass for the job. Riker responded to that like a spoiled brat, and the rest of the crew wasn't much better.

If you want to see captain character assassination, watch that fan made series, I think it was called Dark Frontier. They turned Ben Maxwell into a maniacal mustache twirling villain. That really irritated me, especially since he was created to be a sympathetic war veteran character in The Wounded.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1