Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Ship Generator Beta 6.2

Star Trek Ship Generator Beta 7 (December 2012)

Hey Folks!

Introduction
    Here is the Beta 7 of the STSC, a program to help you design your ships from Spacedock.

I have picked up code that is 6 years old and have recompiled it, improved a bit on it and more importantly finished the few outstanding work items. Maybe, if there is sufficient interest, I'll pick it up again and develop it a bit further. Was fun, working in Delphi again.

Important Changes
    I am sorry, but the save system had to be re-written, due to code incompatibilities between my very old Delphi and the new versions. Therefore, all your old saves are lost, sorry. If there is sufficient interest I might write a converter.

Full Change Log Beta 7
    ADDITIONS
    - "Duplicane Entry" option for shields & missile weapons
    - Details for nearly all menue items
    - Text printing is finished (might have worked in beta 6.2 too already)
    - Added some icons for new visuals (preliminary)
    - Added verification of planetfall & atmospherica capability for ship analysis
    - Added hints for all items
    - Added some icons to cheer up the visuals a bit
    - Added "Clear List" entry for all lists
    - SU distrbution Overview (general tab)
    - Offensive / Defensive capabilities overview (under general tab)
    - Checks for minimum ship size now
    - Integrated Parser (UPM Module) into the STSC (for custom items)
    - Added option to clear all ship data (an empty sheet you get)

FIXES
    - fixed being able to delete header line in: aux vessels, all sensors, SIF, Transport
    - some internal codes which could produce weird errors in dev mode
    - spread not showing for missile weapons
    - weird names, if names were in number format (especially warp engines)
    - wrong formatting of warp speeds (falsely rounded)
    - fixed Beam Weapon table showing poorly
    - when loading a ship by dbl click on list, aux windows will now correctly load
    - corrected some spelling errors here and there
    - aux windows will now follow the main form whenever it is moved
    - power list form will not also close when main window closes
    - power list form will now behave like all aux windows (i.e. follow main window)

CHANGES
    - Impulse Thrusters can now only be equiped on ships with a size <= 5
    - All item data is now rounded to 2 numbers instead of 1 only
    - Due to Delphi 2005 changes I had to re-write the entire save / load system
    - Removed web interfacing due to it not being needed any more
    - Removed Jedi codes since they do not work well with Delphi 2005
    - UPM structure and codes have changed minorly
    - appendix of save file is now "stsc" and no longer "ini"
    - program version, save system version, save date and save time is now also saved in ship file
    - options are saved in a special directoy
    - some item placements in various tables, to improve looks
    - now always opens up in the middle of the desktop
    - Power ops saving / loading works again, but the format had to change (not compatible, sorry)

KNOWN ISSUES
    - old save system is no longer valid in the new version. Sorry.
    - power calculation for MVAM ships does not take into account that only 1 module needs to be
    online in combined mode, but always takes all modules as active.
    - power calculation does not check for redundancy of multiple modules but sets all modules as online.
    - power ops file had to be redone due to changed programming environment
    - old power ops files are no longer compatible, you have to re-set your options, sorry!

PLANNED FEATURES
    - Do the help support for menu items, too.
    - Full HTML printing and a nicer print template.
    - Finishing the help file.
    - Race dependant SU allocation (i.e. bridge for Klingons) & availability.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP
    - I need graphics / icons etc. which look nicer than what I have now
    - I need an HTML template to print into (contact me for details)
    - Would be nice if anyone helped writing the help file
    - I need people testing this program, telling me where bugs etc. are
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zortiander; 12-23-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Bringing it up to date
    Captain Zortiander of the NCC Junkpile.
    If you want something transported, we'll do it for less then you could possibly imagine. Anytime, anywhere.

<A HREF="http://www.zortiander.de">Go to the Mainframe</A>

Finally a word to custom items, that just popped into my mind:

you can send me your custom items via e-mail and I will make one file where I will put them all into and redistribute it with the next version of the STSC.
    If you want something transported, we'll do it for less then you could possibly imagine. Anytime, anywhere.

This information is for BETA 7, which is the last stable release.

Status information
    And here, since I always feel obliged to share my working progress, the current status of Beta 7:

BETA 7 is released.

Error Fixing
    See below

Finished Stuff
    - More information on contextual menues
    - Printing in a text file

Things in work
    Critical
    (no release before these things are done)
    - Re-writing the save system Done.
    - Re-writing the load system Done.

Non critical
    - Hints on the items: About 80% done.
    - Additional custom items functionality: Working.
    - Planning of a Parser Done
    - Programming of a Parser Done
    - Implementation of the Parser into the STSC Done
    - Syntax for new custom items Done
    - Program for custom item creation Done
    - Write a manual abandoned
    - Background pictures & fancy visuals abandoned
    - Icons <--Partially, abandoned
    - Background abandoned
    - Individual list coloring abandoned
    - Support of skins abandoned
    - HTML printing Waiting

Diverse additions to be made
    Short stuff, that doesn't require much work on my side.
    - clear button for every list Done
    - overview of the SU distribution Done
    - overview of offensive / defensive capabilities Done
    - clear ship button, to clean up the list Done
    - transporter availability check in the analysis

Known Things-To-Be-Changed
    These ain't errors that will impact the program, but things that await changing anyway, because they don't work as I intended them to work
    - The passangers entry on the personnel tab doesn't do anything intelligent or logical right now

Errors fixed
    Currently 4 errors have been fixed and 0 errors await fixing.

List of errors to be fixed:
    Currently none

Full list of fixed errors:
    - header deletion on some of the lists
    - the spread is not showing correctly for torpedoe launchers
    - some warp engines show weird names (rounding on names)
    - some warping speeds are not shown correctly (rounding)

IF YOU WANT TO HELP
    - I need icons (*.ico, *.bmp) in 16x16 any colour for each and every tab to go before it.
    - I need an HTML file where I can print the ship to. You can provide an empty file, I will adapt it. For lists (like weapons etc.), just provide the header of the list, the program will fill in the items automatically.
    - If you want to do background images for the lists, I can give you the detailed dimensions I need. Please think about the fact, that the text superposed on them will still have to be readable.
    - Contact me (zortianderATgmx.net) if you want to help me with the help file writing.
    - If you have bugs please report them to me, so that I can fiy them!
    Last edited by Zortiander; 01-03-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Update on project status

Developpers Journal for Beta 6.2
    Hi guys!

Now, I don't know if you like posts like that, but I always liked to be informed about an ongoing project. So in the following I'll be ranting about stuff that I work on, things I think about and in general, thoughts that cross my mind about the programming.

Working on introducing hints for some items (the yellow dialogue that appears when you let your mouse hover over an item). They will be, of course, be linked to an option to switch them on or off. (Since it does hurt RPG experience when you seem them; but then, is there any RPG experience when you sit before your PC?)

I am also writing the content for the last empty tab ("Crew"), which will automatically calculate your crew breakdown in divisions and will let you customize it. Thus a ship is saved with your crew. Maybe, if I'm motivated, further releases will have the option to set individual skills and the like for each member of your crew. Though I don't know how such things are handled in the many versions of the Star Trek RPG that exist to date.

I have introduced some icons, which look horribly, but still, to go before the text on each tab. Maybe if you find them so hottibly, too, someone will send me in some real ones.

And finally I am ducking behind the work of writing myself a Parser. Basically, what a Parser does is to calculate me a formula like 56*(3+2). Easy you say, and yes, it is easy when you hard code it. But I want to read the formula from a text file (the customs.txt) and then transform into something the PC understands, and this is lots of work. I know how to do it theoretically (its not that difficult), but it is a lot of coding, veryfying your code does work, error handling and the like. But htis Parser is required in order for me to expand the custom file handling.

Finally a word on my goals for the final version: I want the SU cost and Power load of each and every item to be stored in a file. All list items will be stored using the customs items format. Thus, you can edit by yourself in any way you want the SU and Power costs for every item. And future changes will be much easier to handle. But this is all very far music.

Thats all for now folks,
    Zortiander

P.S. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys and girls! Here I come, just have watched the good old Enterprise 4 - The Voyage Home. In my opinion still the best Star Trek Movie there is out in the wild, but then I stopped following Star Trek when the captains started to argue with their crew and stopped hitting their superiors fair and square in the face, ere considdering to go on a I-don't-Have-Anything-To-Do-Mission.

So, why do I write here you will ask now? Only to rant about the TOS? Well no, maybe I try to sollicit an answer of any kind, but mostly I wanted to tell you, that I have changed a bit the formatting of the project status summary (my post above). This will change further when I'll find motivation.

I will also improve daily useability of the program for now, instead of focussing on new stuff. This will include the Reset Ship function, the [i[Clear List[/i] Option on the lists' contextual menues and the auxiliary windows (analysis, energy breakdown) following your main window when you displace it.

I am also contemplating to make a SU allocation overview; this will come into the general tab (the only place with some space left) and will break down your SU allotment by tabs (just as I did for the power), so you will be able to see quickly where all your precious space has gone.

I've upgraded the analyser slightly to cover some more ... exotic ... abberrations, but I don't think you'll notice.

And finally: Thanks for downloading the Programm! Now, some Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. And this includes Stop asking for feedback!.

Does anyone read what I write here anyway? If I re-read what I write I always get the impression you must be half crazy to read through my brabbling...
    Last edited by Zortiander; 12-07-2004 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added the 07.12.2004 entry

The Parser!

Well guys, I am working on the parser, and work is progressing smooth as ever. I was pretty afraid to start working on it, but alas! once you start it is easier then you would think.

So far, I can successfully check for errors, do simple mathematical simplifications of the parser line (e.g. convert +--+-+---+ to something usefull) and tell you where you made an error.

Oh, and it does calculate basic instructions (*, /, +, -) successfully. Nice, isn't it?

In Beta 7 (the next projected release), I will add a program in which you can test your custom items' files in order to see, if the parser will correctly interprete the lines you write. So expect Beta 7 to become a bigger release and to significantly improve your possibilities with custom ites.

Parser Testing - if you please

If you would be so kind to help me test the parser (its for the custom items, so I recommend this), then download that program and see if the results you enter will be correct. Please either post here or e-mail me any problems and / or ideas you have in respect to the parser.

Sorry, but I won't be able to test the parser extensively myself, due to time problems.

Exclamation Next version is final! 08.12.2004 journal tells it all!

Well, another developer's journal:

Seeing how quick the parser has gone how far and how smooth my little pet projects within the STSC are progressing, I can hereby anounce, that the next version will be the the final version.

Currently I can find no bugs, nor have any been reported to me, so I guess the program is doing it's job all right. No complaints of any kind have been related to me, so I guess, the program is fine with everyone.

The custom item's new syntax is rocking, so I jubilate around here. You can define loops (for multiple items), which will use any formula based on the four basic math operations + paranthesis to compute power and / or SU cost. So the system is, as far as my opinion goes, mature and ready for the final.

Other additions and updates (such as race dependant SU allocation) are more toys then serious issues, so they will either be issued as add-ons, or as small patches. However, I am not sure I will code those things.

Finally, my time is getting short in the following time and thus I have to get the STSC finished and into shape. I will probably be discontinuing it's developpement after the next release, but I want the program to be the best I can provide by the time I stop the developement.

I can not set a release date for Version 1 but I will try to make it a chrismas present for you guys, which will mean (since I'll be leaving my PC) about latest 17th of December or next year, mid January.

That's all for today folks!

Talking custom items - its getting better yet

A custom items update

Hey fellows! Ere I jet off to university, I wanted you to have a short update on the new custom items.

First off: the creation program for this items is nearing completion, which means that you soon will be able to create your own items in the new syntax, without ever touching the text file that regroups those items. This will also make editing, managing etc. your items a pleasure and real easy!

So, how do the new item thingies work? First off, there is a ton of information that you may (but are not obliged to) include. Here is a list of the new options that can be included:

Creator Author
    Compilation Name
    Item's Version
    Modification by
    Creation date
    Modification date
    contact info (mail)
    web site info (link)
    Description

And these were the old options (still there)

Item Name
    Item Type (beam weapon etc.)
    SU Cost
    Power Cost
    Item dependant info (i.e. power for a warp core)

You can also now define loops! This means that if you want to have the BFG, reted through 1 to 5, you define them all in one line. Makes life really easy and saves a lot on HD space.

Each custom items file has a header in which you can save basically the same information as for each item, so you enter all the above info only once, and it is repeated automatically for each item. If you enter in such a case a specific info on the item anyways, it will override for that item the header setting in that variable.
    Example: in the header it says Name=Zortiander, but for the Isolytic Weapon it says Name="Steve Long", then Steve Long will be displayed for the Isolytic Weapon, but the other items still display Zortiander.

Expect to see a release of the Custom Item Editor during this week-end.

After all this good news, however, let me please tell you, that the STSC is not yet ready to accept this new content, I will have to adapt him to the new (much, much more complicated) syntax. You will get these in Version 1, along with other improvements.

Where does this system take us?
    You will be able to manage the custom items. You will be able to exclude specific items by Compilation name, date, author, type etc. and thus you will only see the custom data you really want to see.

You are able to have as many custom files in the (new) custom files directory as you wish, they will all be read. You can also exclude some files from being read.

You can exchange easily your custom items over the www, and the credits will be visible everywhere.

I can input nearly all the STSC data into this one file, and new content will be relased with the minimum size update of one custom items file only!

--- Cheers People!
    --- Zortiander

-> Wuhu, this is going GREAT!

HERE IT IS! The CIC (Custom Item Creator)

OK, I am totally nuts and deadly tired. This is Beta 1 of the CIC, but I won't be keeping so stringent changelogs as on the STSC, don't worry. It should be all good, with no errors, as far as I tried.

Short Manual
    - Create a directory named "data" in the CIC's directory!
    - Start the CIC
    - create a new file, by right clicking on the left hand list
    - you can then create new items on the right hand or mdoify existing ones
    - I suggest you click on the "preview" button, as it will show the item as it will appear in the game later

Saving
    The program saves automatically the file when you: exit, refresh, create a new file, modify the file's header

Options - File List (left hand)
    Restore file
    The file is re-read from the HD. If it hasn't been saved (see above), all changes are undone.

New Compilation
    Creates a new file for you to store your custom items in.

Delete the File
    Permanently deletes the file from the HD, no undone possible. (Doesn't show in the trash either!)

Modify the Header
    You can change the header information of the file.

Other stuff
    Leaving a field empty for an item will assume you want to take the value specified in the header. This also requires for you to select the "items use header values" option, when creating the new file.

In the final version you will not be able to create original files.

Item values take precedence over header values.

Thats it, tell me please how you like it.
    - Zortiander
    Last edited by Zortiander; 12-10-2004 at 01:12 PM.

15.12.2004 - Developers Journal

Hi together!

Well, bad nes first: STSC V1 won't make this year. I don't have enough time to get it all done and university takes far too much of my time at the moment. I have, though, implemented the parser into the customs objects, though you won't see that update either, until next year I suppose.

Basically, I could release the STSC with the new objects functioning approximately, but I don't want to run through another beta, so the release will have to wait until the STSC is really finished.

I have some more plans, some more auxiliary tools I might want to code: for instance a ship comparison tool, which will simply run through all your ships in the directory and extract size, speed, offensive and defensive stats, as well as medical and science rating. Thus you can easily compare the different ships with one look.
    This tool will be independent of the STSC and not implemented into it, thus I can release it (and code it) even after the final of the STSC.

In terms of general evolution of the whole project, I trust you hace seen, that in future the full release will be made of at least 3 different programs: the STSC, the PTT (Parser technology test) and the CIC (custom item creator) and I will be able to update them seperately, though I hope I will not have to do any updates once I release STSC V1.

So, to all of you who have so far tried my STSC, the PTT and the CIC (omg wtf, these are so many abbreviations you most likely say now) I would extend my thanks.

I wish you all a happy chrismas and a good New Year's Eve, in whichever quadrant you may be. Fly safe and boldly go where no man has gone before fellow Captains!

24.01.2005 - Developers Journal

Well guys, you have noticed I presume that there is nothing new here since a while.

Bad news first: you won't see the STSC V1 before the end of mars I think, due to my exams comming up again and my work for university, which consists (guess what) to program and so I am either out of time or fed up with programming in general.

The good news: I made some updates to the CIC, the PTT seems fine though. The STSC is good underway and I have encountered no problems (yes).

Well, cheers fellas, and if you ever try it out, let me know what you think of it.
    Zortiander

Just Downloaded

I've just downloaded it and tried it out. It's quite interesting. What did you use to design it?

It's Delphi 7 from Borland Enterprise. I'm happy that you like it. Any suggestions for V1?

I'm still exploring it, but mostly it's just spelling and grammar errors. There does seem to be an error in the warp engine lists. Some of the warp engines have type numbers like 5000000000.

Yes, I noticed the warp engines going haywire. If you look in the first post, its already been fixed. It was just a rounding error (floating points were set to the wrong places).

Thanks for the feedback by the way, I truely appreciate it.