Thread: Enterprise damage during battle in the Bassen Rift - and Picards actions during it

Enterprise damage during battle in the Bassen Rift - and Picards actions during it

I was rewatching the dreaded movie 'Nemesis' these days.

Maybe my fun with the new Star Trek Miniatures game "Attack Wing" brought me back into it.

Actually, the movie's not as bad as I remembered it, but I was finally able to put a finger at a point that has always troubled me:

When Picard faced down the Scimiatar in the final encounter, he ordered Troi to ram the enemy vessel, knowing fully well, that such a maneuver would utterly destroy the most forward sections of the saucer - and therefore kill everyone located there.

He gave the 'brace for impact' order a lot earlier, before actually ordering Troi to engage the impluse engines.

Shouldn't he have ordered those sections evacuated at once, therefore giving the crew there at least a minimal chance to get out of harms way? I think he not only should have, but would have. I consider it bad writing.

It's just so inconsiderate, so unlike Picard and against the spirit driving Star Trek, to value life in each and every situation.

It does not fit what we came to know of him.

Even in a situation that seems hopeless - and might even call for the initiation of the self destruct sequence - a warning to one's very own crew should have been given - especially by a Captain like Picard.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Cut; 07-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

The entire movie is replete with unTreklike attitudes and, generally, a failure to engage specifically with 'the point of Trek,' instead of viewing it as another set of brand names to wrap around a standard thriller plot.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Where to begin with Nemesis? How about the rehash of The Warth of Khan Mutara Nebula battle. How about the utter lack of thought put into Shinzon's motivations - sure, he's jealous of Picard and wants to destroy him. Standard stuff, but why does he then go into this Bender-ish "Kill All Humans" routine. Makes no sense. And Picard has yet another rare congenital defect? how many is that now. The man's a walking medical disaster, and that' not counting a bum heart. And yet another Data protoype? They should used Lore instead.. And give Lore a goatee while you're ripping off real Star Trek.. Hey, some good came out of JJ Trek - it proved that Nemesis is not as low as you can get...

The thing I don't understand is: if you have a clone of Picard, why not get Patrick Stewart to play him?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

That would've been too easy, but I bet Stewart would've had a ball playing an evil version of Picard - with a goatee, of course.