Thread: Preparing for an upgrade of the forums

Preparing for an upgrade of the forums

I'm currently preparing to update the forum to vB4. I am currently working on the templates, and I will go over those a few times to reduce the risk of something being completely unreadable (I have found a couple of mistakes so far).

So, why not vBulletin 5? Simply because vB5 is riddled with bugs, and is lacking in functionality. So we will not upgrade to that version anytime soon. I have been helping out on a Swedish roleplaying forum that had changed to vB5, and the tech guy got burned out and went AWOL. So I'm currently uncomfortable experienced with vB5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cpt. Lundgren; 08-19-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Thank you once more for taking time, money and care to keep this forum alive.

I come by here still and have very fond memories. I appriciate the existence very much.

Looking forward to the new edition of the forums.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Nice to hear it is appreciated

I just realized that on Sunday, it is ten years since the start of the "blackout"; and on September 19th, it is ten years the forums came back up with with me at the helm (and in the engine room). Ten years...

I have been thinking quite a bit lately about the future of the forums. But the fundamental part of all options is that the this place will be around for years to come.

But short term, it is to upgrade and implement new anti-spambot strategies so it will be possible for new members to register again.

Ten years. It's been ten years already? That seems to be impossible. I recall that it must have been 'quite some time', but I never would have know it was that long.

Impressive, how fast time is running by.

Thanks, Magnus, for keeping this memory around. It means a lot to me and I'd be really sad to see it gone for good one day.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Thanks so much for keeping this around, it has been such a resource to the community! Hopefully we'll be around for another decade!

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Thanks for your work on this site, Magnus.

10 years already ? Then again, I've been registered on this site for 13 years now...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

15 for me as of last month!

15 years for me as well. Thanks for all the hard work keeping this board alive.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

I was about to reminisce about the good old days, but then giant space fish came to mind and I thought better of it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'm still a few month shy of 14 years.

So... We just missed the sites 15 years anniversary?

Anyway, I'm aiming at doing the upgrade this weekend.

I got stuck with other things, so it will be to tight with time if anything fails and I have to do a restore. So the upgrade will be postpone a few days.

Just wanted to echo the thanks of the others as well. So glad that these forums are still here. I'm not currently playing or running any Trek games but I still check in every couple of days.